Leaving Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 am

[size=55:3prckbzf]Sofia echo 30 July 2010

Leaving Bulgaria

We had been considering leaving Bulgaria for a while. The world crisis had hit badly, and the general rip off attitude, the mismanagement of the country, its social and employment problems, were beginning to bite. My wife was tired of being offered short-term contracts which expired for no logical reason, apart from the employer wanting to take on cheaper non-professional workers – surely a route to disaster.

Also like many others in the media and other industries, even state ones, she was only receiving sporadic payments of salary. How can one live normally if pay is not received for months on end?

The health service has become a trading arena for businessmen/doctors and surgeons who, although employed by the state, are with increasing audacity charging outrageous sums for their services. The price of drugs has become horrendous. Necessary medicines can hardly be afforded by those in work, never mind pensioners and the long-term sick.

On top of this, we have a seven-year-old daughter to educate, and my observations of an unstructured system, where the teachers, who need to come into the 21st century, still send seven-year-old children to bed in the afternoon, and make them spend most of their time colouring and playing, is not going to benefit my daughter in a competitive world.

The cost of living was another deciding factor. The price of food, clothing, fuel, public utilities and other essentials was fast approaching Western European prices, where salaries are at least four times a decent Bulgarian salary – which most working people, and the growing army of those out of work, don’t earn anyway.

So the decision was made. We would travel through Europe with car and caravan, take in the sites and cultures along the way, and re-make our life in Britain, my native country. After four great weeks on the road, we arrived in Norfolk, our intended future home. So how did we find things here? We had been warned that times were also hard here, but that the state would care for us if we were in real difficulties.

The first thing that struck us was the general tidiness of the country. Good infrastructure gives a more settled permanent atmosphere. The second thing was the politeness of people at every level. Not the face pulling, unwilling workers of the post office or municipality, not the take- it-or-leave-it shrug of the sales assistants, not the I’m only serving you because I’ve got to attitude in the hotels, but true pleasant reaction and interest in their work. Many of these type of workers aren’t highly paid, but do their work with willingness and grace.

Unlike the stories we read in the press there is no ‘Big Brother’ breathing down your neck, but the attitude that rules should be kept for the benefit of all. No pushing in at every opportunity, and, in the main, calm sensible driving habits.

Our daughter was welcomed into the school, where they quickly set about correcting her deficiencies. She could speak good English, but only having been half taught to read and write in Bulgarian / Cyrillic, she was some way behind her contemporaries, but with kind, expert help she is now quickly catching up. She loves her school, and the challenge of learning, food for an active brain.

Of course we haven’t deserted Bulgaria completely, how could we? My wife is Bulgarian, my daughter half-Bulgarian, and after 12 years, I’m a bit Bulgarian too. My wife’s mother, who incidentally we have to send money to, or she would starve, and have nothing for necessary medicines, is still in Sofia.

Will we come back to live in Bulgaria? Unless we detect a sea change in attitude and mentality, I think not, unless the miracle happens, and we see a competent government addressing the real problems of the working people, the old and the sick. Pity Bulgaria, you have such wasted potential.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
oddball
oddball

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Leaving Bulgaria 1763269238

Leaving Bulgaria 3356871870 Funny how we all think the grass is greener on the other side eh!! c Only time will tell if you are suited to life in a different country. However, if you don't try it out - you will never know. c

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 pm

I agree Bernie you have to try it out,we are now into our second year,no regrets yet,we both love the weather,back to how seasons used to be in England in my childhood years,although the winters are more severe,but plenty of wood and hot pots,love it all so far
Back to top Go down
dave b
Senior user
Senior user

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 pm

I can quite understand your move, and good luck to you. We are now in our 5th summer here and although the country can drive us mad,
We have what we could never have in the UK, so for now we are staying. I do agree that the potential is huge for Bulgaria. If the powers that be
can be bothered and the people start to want to change things, this could be a much better country to live in.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 pm

I thought this was ashley leaving at first, but then saw it on another forum and thought, whats this all about. Leaving Bulgaria 3135333095 i dont personally think bulgaria has much to offer people who need work for income, or those with family to raise, bulgaria is a laid back country, quiet and more for the retired really, whos needs are few and not reliant on making an income. that would be a worry to me as bulgaria has very few people compared to many countries, and many are self sufficient and needing no one, the younger ones have left the country to try western employment that offers more money in wages. bulgaria needs to offer holiday makers entertaiment which sadly is lacking, shops cafes and more of the same will not do it. when it opens the doors to the entertainment that the us offers it may stand a chance until then numbers will decline. Leaving Bulgaria 927475117
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 am

I can understand this person going to the UK but it took a bit of time to realise that he was married to a Bulgarian woman, and that he had been here 12 years. There are many well educated young people in BG so maybe like GB it is sometimes luck of the draw so I cannot see any reason for complaint there. g. As to the cost of living he will soon notice that the cost of living in Norfolk is at least twice the cost of over here Leaving Bulgaria 794030042. Unless you are really lucky you need to have an income to live in BG,trying to make a living here is a very hard task Leaving Bulgaria 794030042. Sounds like he was also living in a big city where the cost of living is higher. A bit like living in London compared to living in the Midlands.

I wish them all the luck in the world but I also noticed that it was said that if they needed help and there was the welfare state. That says it all Leaving Bulgaria 2581928987 Well as I still pay taxes on my pension I might add, and by the looks of it paying for everyone else just like this person :Leaving Bulgaria 3897195628: Leaving Bulgaria 2345823347 Leaving Bulgaria 3998065313 Only proves BG is the Land to come to for real Milk &
honey, the UK is a state where the Milk and Honey is handed out on a plate :Headbang:Seems to me that these people want to go to the UK because there are no risks and the people will bail them out if required. Is that right I ask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leaving Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Bulgaria   Leaving Bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaving Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1