HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
anglachanka
Junior user
Junior user

HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Empty
PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:13 am

If you make this successfully, you will never miss or have to buy HP or Daddies again, it is just as good, and easy to make.

I made half the amounts given and got 5 jamjar sized pots out of it ....now in bottles like proper sauce!!

4llbs apples
1llb prunes
2 large onions
3 pints vinegar (malt if you have it)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Allspice (not mixed spice)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder
2 tablespoons salt
2llbs sugar (I used half brown and half white)

Put all fruit and veg into pan, cover with water and cook till tender, strain and push through seive or, as I did, process in blender.
Put back into saucepan with all other ingedients and cook gently until thick.
I found that testing with an existing portion of HP sauce was the right way to get the taste spot on, but if you haven't any adjust the salt and sugar, and even the chilli, till it tastes right, If you haven't any existing sauce ... it is ready when it solidifies slightly on a cold saucer and will thicken more as it cools.
Put into warm jars which have been rinsed and put still wet into a warm oven, between 50 and 100 degrees until dry. This will keep for some time.
If you want to keep for a year or more, put the lids loosely onto the jars when filled and simmer very slowly under water for 20 minutes.

Enjoy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 am

ooo Nice One! I'll be having a bash at that [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 10:37 am

I am in the uk but I might have a practice for when I need to make it over there thanks Diana
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 am

Diana I take it from the recipe that HP or Daddie sauce are not available over there? I will have ago at this here before I make my move to Bg :Congrats:
Back to top Go down
cidcelia
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:40 pm

yes u can get HP sauce ver here in most supermarkets now.
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Well that's worth knowing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but I wonder what home made sauce would taste like
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

anglachanka just thought I would say I have tried your recipe and I think its better than the real thing

:Congrats: :Congrats:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:23 pm

anglachanka you got any for any other Sauces [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
cidcelia
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 am

ive been dreamin of this sauce all nite off to get ingredients an were gonna give it a go,tell u all later the results,granted my husbands helping,so probably take a bit longer,as somehow no matter what he cooks in the kitchen,even boiled eggs,he uses about everything in cupboards :roll:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:58 am

cidcelia wrote:
granted my husbands helping,so probably take a bit longer,as somehow no matter what he cooks in the kitchen,even boiled eggs,he uses about everything in cupboards :roll:

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
Back to top Go down
cidcelia
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 pm

right got most of the ingredients,friend getting rest in morn,then ive decided,hubbies of fishing or golf weather he likes it or not,then im turning my music up an start cooking.ohhhh got a brill really easy receipe for really thick tomoto soup,perfect for the up an comin winter months ill post it in the next few days,an all ingredients will b in most little village shops or for those who really enjoy an have time to grow thier own stuff,alot should b in your garden,a tip from now till then,all them bits of ends of bread or bread thats just gone a bit hard do not throw it away,put it in ur freezer,reason for this will b revelled soon.nite nite all.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Looking forward to this one too :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 am

Celia don't forget to let us know how you get on? I know it may not be soon as you need to know how your son is

sarah
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Anyone with any results yet :lol: :lol:I thought I would let you lot do it first and then I can learn from your mistakes :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Hiya I have moved the unfortunate news of Celia's son to the Ex-pats lounge where I thought it was more appropriate

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce   HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HP or Daddies style Brown Sauce

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next