SKYPE & its impending demise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mandyjeancole

SKYPE &
its impending demise Empty
PostSubject: SKYPE & its impending demise   SKYPE &
its impending demise Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 am

Hi All..I think we would all agree how important communication is & if like myself you are an avid user of good old Skype you will be dissapointed to hear about the following....

The original founders of online telephony service Skype have filed a lawsuit against eBay, and an investment group who recently agreed to buy the service, seeking millions of dollars in damages for unlicensed use of a network technology they own.

This latest lawsuit seeks a permanent injunction against Skype, as well as damages which the pair believe are increasing at a rate of more than $75 million a day.

Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis founded Skype in 2003 before selling it to eBay in 2005 for $2.6 billion. eBay recently agreed to sell a 65 percent stake in Skype for $1.9 billion to a consortium of investors.

The disagreement is over a piece of technology called "
Global Index"
, which is responsible for some of the peer-to-peer sharing systems that run Skype. When eBay bought Skype in 2005, it decided not to purchase Global Index, instead opting to license it from Joltid, a separate company started by Zennstrom and Friis in 2002.

The pair allege that when they left Skype in 2007, eBay began to alter the code used in Global Index, breaching the license agreement. eBay however, have denied the allegations, stating "
Their allegations and claims are without merit and are founded on fundamental legal and factual errors."

The case has not only cast doubts over the sale of Skype, but the service itself, with eBay admitting that without Global Index, Skype could no longer function. But dont panic there are now alternatives maybe 2-3 yrs previous Skype ruled the roost but not so now,If your looking for a simple format that rivals Skype in its simplicity & is of course free (PCto PC) you might want to give [url=http:
//gizmo5.
com/pc/:224i7qpd][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a try. MJC
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

SKYPE &
its impending demise Empty
PostSubject: SKYPE & its impending demise   SKYPE &
its impending demise Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 am

I don't use Skype but it don't look good for those that do I would think with ebay unless they are going to make millions from it they won't want to keep it in it's present for for long but I do see what you say here and I agree with what you are saying it's a shame that when something like this happens the impact on others can be far reaching
:cheers:
Back to top Go down

SKYPE & its impending demise

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1