View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just wondered if anyone has spotted any storks this year? I think it's time for them to start arriving in certain parts of Bulgaria ? so it would be nice to hear from anyone who has seen any? and some pictures might be nice to
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
We have storks now, they arrived on the 19th which is the very same day that they came last year. A big shadow resembling a jumbo jet came across our field and then the undercarriage was lowered for landing on it's metre diameter nest. The next thing we noticed was that the stork had brought her own diary which she unclipped from her wing and with a handy biro gave a big tick on the page next to ETA!!

Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 1865348797 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 570106603 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 1865348797 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 570106603

Wonderful itchy where is the camera when you need it eh!!! Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 3367882216
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Yes we have got 5 that have been here for about 3 weeks now but I'm sure we will get more? we usually get about 15 plus so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
paddybg
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Outside my house on the electric pole the last week in March - and the small birds were already rebuilding their nests underneath.
Back to top Go down
Trev62
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Our first stork was spotted today, it was seen on our dog walk taking off from the lake that has formed from a puddle due to all the wet weather that has been a constant factor here since last year. So red and white bands are now hanging from our vines as per our neighbours instructions. Summer must be on its way..................
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Trev62 wrote:
Our first stork was spotted today, it was seen on our dog walk taking off from the lake that has formed from a puddle due to all the wet weather that has been a constant factor here since last year. So red and white bands are now hanging from our vines as per our neighbours instructions. Summer must be on its way..................

It's good to hear that the storks have started to arrive here in BG, but their poor thin legs will be in for bit of cold until the weather decides to forget the Winter and get on with bringing a warmer Spring to their nests.

Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 3897195628 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 3897195628 s
Back to top Go down
Trev62
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:22 pm

I agree with that, we have had rain this morning, sleet and rain this afternoon and now the sleet has returned, maybe this stork was on a stopover when heading to the warmer climate in Spain!!
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Trev62 wrote:
I agree with that, we have had rain this morning, sleet and rain this afternoon and now the sleet has returned, maybe this stork was on a stopover when heading to the warmer climate in Spain!!

Agreed they won't hang around in the cold.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Well I am well happy now I SPOTTED my first stork today  Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 1865348797

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Spotted our first sighting today, in torrential rain, looked a bit sorry for itself   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 927475117  we can take down the mertenitsi now. s
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm

got back to bg last night from UK and about 11.35 this morn about 20 storks flew over the house.. a welcome commitie for me i specs !! s
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Nice one VG g Ah you should have let me know you are were in the UK maybe we could have met up. c c
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Our local Stork arrived on Thursday the 19th, same day last year and the same day the year before.

Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 2706089290 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 2706089290 Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 2706089290
Back to top Go down
buzzard

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Ours arrived today too which got me wondering if it was the same stork family so I did a bit of research and found this

Storks are Bulgaria’s favorite bird. For me they’re the symbol of Bulgaria. The airborne equivalent of dolphins, storks are almost human. Each spring over 5,000 pairs return from their winter migration not just to the same village, but to the very same nest in the very same village. The male comes first to ensure everything is in shape and do running repairs. Then the boss follows, just as in human life. There are strictly two to a nest –no stork swingers – until they multiply into four. No village should be without them. They’re so elegant and decorative. And if you see them walking behind a tractor in the fields, they’re just having a small feast of tasty crickets.

In the autumn some 200,000 storks from all over Eastern Europe congregate by the Black Sea for military man-oeuvres, before migrating south again to the winter sun. It must be a spectacular sight, if you’re lucky enough to catch it. They fly in changing formations all the way to the Middle East & Africa.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 12:47 pm

buzzard wrote:

In the autumn some 200,000 storks from all over Eastern Europe congregate by the Black Sea for military man-oeuvres, before migrating south again to the winter sun. It must be a spectacular sight, if you’re lucky enough to catch it. They fly in changing formations all the way to the Middle East & Africa.

It is a fantastic and spectacular sight
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotted any Storks yet ???   Spotted any Storks yet ??? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotted any Storks yet ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6