Abandoned Communites

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Abandoned Communites Empty
PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I thought I would start a new topic to allow posters to get the meat off the bone and dicslose their joy and fears about the future

An incresing number of settlements in Bulgaria are becoming GHOST towns as a result of ongoing deomographic decline. According to the latest census figures there are over 138 uninhabited villages, estimated to increase to over 150. There are GHOST villages in 16 out of 28 provinces of the country [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Some of the Bulgarian villages may avoid the fate thanks to immigration of settlers from most EU countries (mainly UK) but also many from the former Soviet Republic even Israel and Japan
The pro's and con's
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm

This is an interesting topic but I don't know what to say ? which is a first lol I suppose the thought of villages being abandoned and deserted does make a difference to the value of your property ? if there isn't anything in the village such as shops PO and so on no one will want to come and live there so I don't know what to say I can't see that shops etc owned by Bulgarians will remain because they rely on Bulgarians for most of their trade so I think it's a no win situation unless the foreigners moving in do something about it? because the Bulgarian government won't !!
Back to top Go down
botev
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I have been to many of these villages and i can say how sad it is....one particular i have been too was uk epats, and very elderly bulgarians, we met with one of few of the younger generations living from the next village and he was from Sofia, he told us that basically when the elderly die the relatives who inherit the properties or land shut everything up and thats it! One of many reasons was because lack of facilities, work, schools, kindergardens, i must say even though most of the expats living there were 40 + there were some with children....i was actually horrified as these kids dont stand a chance of anything in such a place with nothing! The ones who inherit and shut up hope to get lucky to sell it off to an expat which makes the exapt happy as its cheap and affordable and makes the bulgarian happy as the have cash....and to add dont live in a place that is a haunted village....basically that is all the expats are doing are haunting these villages, and like above from Daisy the government are not going to do anything to help to these derelict villages, what do they care anyway they are mostly full of expats anyway, so i guess its up to the expats to modernise if they want however most seem content with they way the life is so good on them! I still find it all very sad though....but i see the bulgarians point....work education and amenities are a must, and what good is rearing animals if there is no one to buy the meat of you? because thats how most villagers of bulgarian villages live!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 pm

From what we see it would appear that houses in the villages are passed down from parents to eldest sibling. The older ones in our village sow the seeds and grow the produce. The relatives that live in the centres come around once a week at harvest time and take the produce. But they very often do nothing to help the older folk.

When the older ones pass on the siblings are just not interested in working the land and therefore the properties are left to decay or are sold to the like's of us or other foreigners.

It is sad but a fact.
Back to top Go down
loopeylou
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:10 pm

In our village it 96% OAPS with hardly any youngsters,any wonder we want to leave!! : [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:45 am

Our village is very good,theres a nice mix of young Bulgarian families,and the village is growing,but i agree with Tonyb in some villages the old folk just tend to the land,grow the produce,then the young ones from the town come and collect every week.

Mike
Back to top Go down
loopeylou
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:12 pm

We know by experince that in 89 the majority of Turks were given the chance to go back to Turkey and start afresh or stay here ,that is why in our village they are pensioners!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abandoned Communites   Abandoned Communites Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Abandoned Communites

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1