View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

Advice on keeping Chickens Empty
PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 pm

We don't live in Bulgaria yet but once we get there we was thinking of keeping Chickens its not something either of us have done before so we know absolutely nothing about it so I would like to ask those of you that do keep Chickens or know about these things for any advice and how we would go about buying the chicks to start us off and what sort of home would they need and food etc, thank you in advance
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 pm

I am doing the same i have built my chicken coop all ready to rock and roll,been told the best time to buy the chicks is end of March,i got all my info off u tube just get u tube up and type in chicken coop,very helpful,i have also been told by my friend next door not to pay more than a lev a chick

Mike
Back to top Go down
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 am

1 Lev a chick will usually only buy you one day olds, realistically you will be feeding and caring for them until they are approx 20 weeks before you get eggs from them. In the long run it may be cheaper to buy larger point of lay chickens.

Feed can be bought in most towns - ours get a mixture of barley, wheat and a proprietary chicken feed based on their age.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 9:38 am

Thats good info thank you Suzee

Mike
Back to top Go down
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm

No Problem Mike. Forgot to add that if you plan on keeping chickens free range they will eat a certain amount of any veg that you have growing but also help keep garden pests and weeds at bay.

We find it best to have only 1 cockerel otherwise the hens lay less eggs.
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Do you have to have a cockerel i dont like getting up to early

Mike
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:31 pm

mickhev wrote:
Do you have to have a cockerel i don't like getting up to early
Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 7:55 pm

The early bird catches the eggs
Back to top Go down
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 11:55 am

A cockerel isn't needed unless of course u want to breed from the hens.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I forgot about this thank you for all your help but I was expecting more information about the care of them etc including any illness they may get
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:43 pm

chickens in a clean environment will thrive with few problems, by clean i mean, beds clean balanced diet and water above hind level to prevent contamination of you know what. illness or notifiable illness depends on what country you are in. influenza is one, but mainly if chickens are preening, alert and observing there are few problems. the main problem seems to come from heriditory faults, when this occurs you have no choice but to dispose of to prevent further contamination. no real difficulties raising chickens if clean.
Back to top Go down
the good life

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 6:29 pm

We have chickens and they are a great asset to our self sufficient life we are living, we treat them with a lot of care and get good rewards from them. We had them in the U K and the kids used to carry them around the garden stroking them.We think they are great for more than meat and eggs. We use them to clear ground of weeds and to clear the vegtable garden of bugs and weeds at the end of growing season.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Tell me do the chickens still eat vegetable waste like they did in the old days

sarah
Back to top Go down
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Our chickens do indeed get vegetable waste, also most of the weeds pulled from the garden and anything else apart from meat that's going spare. Same goes for the turkeys and pigs.

If anyone would like a couple of bantam cockerels please let me know as we have some spare
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 am

1 more question does what Chickens eat make any differance to the way they taste ?

sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on keeping Chickens   Advice on keeping Chickens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on keeping Chickens

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next