altText

Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous
Anonymous

Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Route to Bulgaria from UK.

It is quite an easy route, but a very long 2½ days for me. With 2 nights in hotels, one in Germany and the other normally in Hungary. I make sure I do not spend a night in Romania.

The route from Rotterdam;

Find motorway A16 heading south for Breda,Tilburg and Eindhoven,
Follow signs for Breda,
Then follow signs to Tilburg A58 (E312),
Then follow signs for Eindehoven A2 (E25),
Then follow signs for Masstricht,
Then follow signs for Aachen A76 (E314)

The route from Calais;

Follow signs for Ostend in Belguim,
Then follow signs to Brugge,
Then follow signs to Gent,
Then follow signs to Brussels
When near to Brussels take care to follow signs to Liege and Aachen in Germany,

Then both routes follow from Aachen
Once near to Aachen
Then follow signs to Koln (Colonge),
Then follow signs to Frankfurt,

Ok, from Frankfurt you will see signs for;
Wurzburg, Nurenburg,
Then follow signs to Wursburg,
Then follow signs to Nurenburg,
Then follow signs to Regensburg,
Then pick up the signs for Passau
Then follow signs to Passau

Once you pass Passau, you are close to the Austrian border, so look out for service station on your right. There you will need to buy your first vignette, (about 10 euros) or road tax for Austria, from then on it is buy a vignette for all countries down. Take your car registration doc with you. This sticker you peel off and put on your windscreen, it is the first of many. Put it at the top left hand side and work down with them as you need to put your Bulgarian one in the bottom left corner.
Once into Austria head for Linz,
Then follow signs to Wein (Vienna),

As you come out of Wein, you'll see signs for Budapesht, (Budapest) with and H sign in a white oval, follow this. The HA is for Hungary. Which you need.

It is a simple run down from there, with no problems. Near to the Hungarian border, and I do mean near, is a service station, where you need to buy the vignette for Hungary. The vignette office is as you come out of the service station on the other side, there is a small car park there and sometimes a small queue. It is part of the service station.
Then follow signs to Gyor
Then follow signs to Budapesht,
Then follow signs to Keskemet (Kecskemet)
Then follow signs to Szeged,

You are nearly there, only 1 country to go through. Once in this area, have a good nights sleep ready for the drive through Romania.
Then in the morning, head for Romania and Arad,
Once you are out of Szeged,
Follow the signs for Timisora in Romania,

it is of on the right at the first roundabout after you leave Szeged, not long after you turn right you have a very long straight road and then the border crossing into Romania.
Romania is not so bad to drive through as many people say it is. Just keep your speeds down to the limits

Once you get to the border, you normally go through the Hungarian part, then stop at the Romanian side, there you'll meet the Hungarian and Romanian Customs and immigration officers. Both are likely to ask to look in side your car. For your first check of the run down. you are supposed to get your Romanian Vignette, if the office has some one in there. You'll find it on the right just past where you have been stopped. A small office.

From here on its an easy and simple run drive to Kraiova, (Craiova) where your next small problem will be. But it is almost at the end of your Herculean journey so is not so bad. From Kraiova you go on to Bechet and the ferry to BG, 30 miles away.

Ok so you follow the signs out of Timisora for;

Follow signs for Recas,
Follow signs for Lugol,
Follow signs for Caransebas,
Follow signs for Drobeta Turnu Severin, This should be one of the main names coming out of Timisora. You need to go through this town. Further on you will see signs for Kraiova (Craiova) you need to head for this city, it is in south of RO and very near to the ferry in Bechet to get to BG.
Follow signs for Kraiova (Craiova)

Around Drobeta Turnu Severin the roads get quite bad as they are re-surfacing about 30 miles of road all in one go, yes, all in one go, not as we do it a little at a time, So you will be driving over rough stones for a while, and there is single file traffic for most of this part of the trip. It is the slowest part of the journey down, but is picturesque, so have your cameras ready, if you like nice photos. It is not as bad as some would have you believe, just a little slow, but at this point you feel like taking it easy for awhile anyway, it is almost like having a rest period, but on the move and slow.

Ok, from here on is the drive to Kraiova, isn't so bad and quite enjoyable, roads quite good at this point. You'd be forgiven for thinking you were in Germany or somewhere else.

Ok, on the outskirts of Kraiova, the road disappears into a country lane, yes it really does, then, you are going over a single file dirt surface bridge. With ruts nearly 8 inches deep, made by the big trucks, yes you'll look at it and ask your self do the trucks really go over this, and you'll soon see they do. The RO sports cars ride on the top of the central ridge and the side to get over with out damaging their cars. And yes it does work, you think they will stove in the sides of their cars going over, but they don't. Suggestion here is follow a RO car and you'll be ok, do as they do, they have the practice. After the bridge, you are back on a single file narrow country lane for a few hundred feet, it goes to the right and then turns left and then crosses over a railway line, a short way up it suddenly turns right at what looks like a main road junction.

You are then back on the main road to Kraiova and only a few miles till your turn of for Bechet. Follow this road, till you see trucks parked on the right side, go slow from this point. You will see a service station that the truckers use. There is many trucks parked at the rear and you can see these from the road. Literally just past this service station, about 50 feet or so, you turn right to Bechet and the ferry

There is a sign saying Bechet, but it is almost hidden in the branches of a tree so look carefully. If in doubt follow a BG reg truck, good bet they are going the same way too. You can see your in the right area, as it looks like an industrial place. You really do need to turn here or you will get lost crossing the city with all the twist and turns that are there to do. Driving through Kraiova is not so good, it is busy and easy to get lost. I know I have done it once, never again. The first time I did this run it was horrendous for me. I did not know the route and what to expect. Took many wrong turns, was so easy to do that.

After you have turned right, follow the signs for Bechet, there are some good signs on the first part of the city bypass, and yes you'll laugh at this bit as you drive down it. It is the gypsy area of Kraiova. You are going all over the place, on different sides of the road, but it is normal, I promise you, a little crazy but true. If you have any doubts wait for a truck to pass you and follow that, they will show you the way through, even if you don't ask them. Do not follow any signs for Calafat unless you want to use this ferry. Calafat will take you to Vidin and the western part of BG and Sofia, passing Montana and Vratsa. Vidin is in the north west part of BG, close to Serbia.

First junction you turn left, then in a few yards you turn right. But here it is sign posted in English Bechet. You then follow this road down and I call it a road loosely. Ok, so you come to a funny junction, go straight over and slightly to the right, at this point there is no sign for Bechet, it is like a Y junction on the side and you are coming in at the middle, you want the second of the Y forks, the first takes you to Calafat, is sign posted to so you can see. Go straight on and then you come to another Y junction, you want the second Y part of this as well. From then on there are milestones on the ground with distance to Bechet every few hundred feet or so. And from this point is an easy run to the ferry. If you have any doubts at these 2 junctions, look for the trucks coming up towards you, that is the route you have to go.

From here is about 30 miles to the ferry and BG.

When you get to the ferry, you'll see a very long queue of trucks, you have to pass these and drive down the side, there will be passing gaps left by the trucks all the way down, so is not a problem when you see something coming up ahead of you. You just duck into one of these gaps, I have done it so many times now, even see the same drivers of trucks some times. It is almost like a meeting place for friends there.

Now I should point out the they will try anything to get you to part with euros at the ferry port. So make sure you do have a Vignet as they will check it and the document that goes with it. If you do not have one you will be fined heavy in Euros. You then have to pay a port tax of about 10 euros, this is for using the port, if you can call it that. Then you have to go to the office and buy your ferry ticket, the cost of this depends on what you have with you, like a trailer or so. But is not so expensive. From then on, you wait in the queue to board the ferry to cross to BG.

Once over you are in BG and it feels good to get this far, almost a feeling of relief. But first you must buy a 7 day vignette (Road tax), which is in the office just behind the Customs / immigration office. Otherwise you could have problems with traffic police in BG and a certain 100 euro fine, at the very least a 20 euro payment to the back pockets of the cops. As you drive out of the port, there is a turning to your left, it goes back on you and up a steep hill, it takes you to the town center. There are signs there for Vratsa and Sofia, but you can miss them if your not careful. As you come out of the town , you are at the top of the hill and you can see the distance opening up ahead of you, a long this part of the road is a junction to the left to take you to Pleven, it is spelt in Bulgarian Cyrilic. Straight ahead is Vratsa and Sofia.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Carlo

Bulgarianbill will nodoubt be updating his route shortly so watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 am

Hull - Zeebrugge or Rotterdam it doesn't make much difference in time or distance, depending on the cost at the time of booking i sometimes drive the extra miles (from Humberside) to Dover - Dunkirk which can save £s if you get a 4am crossing. I haven't done the Serbian route yet as in the past there were issues with insurance cover but i understand that has now changed. As we can take upto 2 weeks to do the journey our route varies every year, unless time is factor i would recommend a route that takes in some of the spectacular places enroute, i personally love the Czech Republic, there are some fabulous places to visit along the way. You have some of Europes most great cities on the route its a shame not to stop-off and see them.
Back to top Go down
paddybg
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Second the Dover-Dunkirk route.
We drove out last year via that ferry crossing - 2 adults, 1 dog and a 15' motorhome.... £29 one way with DFDS.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi Guys

It is time for us to head back to the UK, our house is overflowing with donations so they need to be sorted, packed and sent to storage Therefore, we have to go home. I have been looking at flights but coming up expensive, today wizz air has discount and for Feb however, we have a slight problem we no longer have a car in the UK I gave it to my son and he is working in Southampton from 1st Feb so tried to get trains and buses from Luton and Stansted but not had much luck. Therefore, I am now thinking should we drive home in Fergie Jeep Cherokee on Bulgarian plates..... as we will be needing a car and will be staying 3 months unless we fill the lorry quicker of course.

Is there anything i need to know - we will have the new vigenetta for Bulgaira so where do we buy the first vigenetta is it Romania or Hungary
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 6:24 am

Sent you a pm
Bill
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 7:56 am

bulgariabill wrote:
Sent you a pm
Bill
T Bill g
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 11:21 am

Have you thought of a hire car while in the UK, collect at the Airport and use for a week or when needed, you'd be surprised how cheap it is nowadays, if take into consideration the £300 travel costs each way in the Jeep, minus cheap flights etc etc.
Oh and Easyjet also has 20% off for 5 days from today.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Edna Bira wrote:
Have you thought of a hire car while in the UK, collect at the Airport and use for a week or when needed, you'd be surprised how cheap it is nowadays, if take into consideration the £300 travel costs each way in the Jeep, minus cheap flights etc etc.
Oh and Easyjet also has 20% off for 5 days from today.

Thanks Edna Bira have now booked the flight with wizzair from Bucharest to Luton with the knowledge that a taxi would take us to Bucharest for 150lev so was happy with that. Just as I confirmed the payment I had a message to say they taxi price given was from a friend not a company bu she does no know how much she the friend will charge us or if they will take us .... So will now start looking for someone to take us to Bucharest, might work out more expensive in the end eh... Will sort out pick up from luton and I wil lhave to sort out a vehicle when we get home or tell people to drop the donations to us, they are dong this now and a few people have offered to pick donations up for us too - so no might not be as bad as I think after all..... g
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm sure i read somewhere there is a bus from Ruse to Bucharest

Just found it [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
paddybg
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

There is a bus from Ruse (PYC) to Bucuresti, but if you stroll across the Danube bridge into Gheorgiu, there are a few more run by RO companies that don't run on the Bg side.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 8:35 pm

T T
Back to top Go down
paddybg
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Very welcome.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Ahhh we are all sorted now - Friend orgaised a taxi from Silistra to Buchrest to include all fees total price 160lev so happy with that. Then a friend's daughter will meet us at Luton and taxi us home. Now we need to start shutting down the villa, this is the bit I hate locking everything away, clearing out food cupboards into freezer boxes so not to encourage mice, cover all furniture and draining down water and hope all will be safe untl we get back. Dougie might get fed up in the UK and come back early or if we get enough donations to fill the lorry quicker than expected we will both return early.

This trip to the UK is going to cost me a fair penny - Before we left we cut off the phone, internet tv and cancelled the tv licence, We gave our my car and our new tv as I did not want it in the house due to cancelling the licence, would just be my luck they would detect it. So now have to get everyting again includiing another tv as I can't take back now plus have to sort some transport. And there is me thinking we will save money staying in BG for a while. Once son moves to his new job in Southampton we get the house rented for sure, no hesitation this time ...
Back to top Go down
paddybg
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Hope it all goes well and to plan.
Happy travels.
Just booked my next trip to Bg for a quick flyer (LTN-VAR-LTN) mid-March and, if all goes well, driving out again late spring - early summer.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi Guys

Well we re back in the UK now and the weather is nice, not too cold yet. The journey home was great. Stilian picked us up at the villa than we all went for coffee, than to the Dimcho to say goodbye to the children. The taxi driver met us at OMV garage at 1.45 we left to get the ferry boat at 2pm waiting about 25mins for more passangers than 2 hours to airport we arrived at 4.30 Lovely airport and easy to find your way about. could check in almost immediately. went thought control passport than went to have lunch at Burger King it was very tasty and hot yepeeee. We looked around duty free and time just flew by. Flight home was on time and arrived 20 early. Natalie our lovely taxi driver was waiting for us and the journey home was brillint. We were home just after 10pm. All in all we had a brlliant experience from Bucharest and I will be flying from there again. I looked at flights Luton to Bucharest on 2nd May £21 Wizzair can't believe that.

We have spent the two days on and of sorting and packing the goods in the spare room now we have probably got 5 pllets lods but I had only ordered 3 pallets and they came yesterday. We will load them for pick up on Tuesday. The boxes re massive this time so will probably only get 9 boxes on a pallet this time. Will order another 4 pallets for Friday. So off to a good start...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK   Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Route plan to Bulgaria from the UK

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next