HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in


Share | 

 Immigration and visas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
Registered user
Registered user

Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Immigration and visas   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 am

First topic message reminder :


I presume you need more information for the residence permits for immigration and foreigners. All foreigners staying in Bulgaria for longer than 30 or 90 days (depending on their nationality) in succession, for any reason, require a residence permit. A residence permit holder’s dependants are normally also granted a permit.
Different types of residence permit are issued according to your status, including:
employee and
freelance professional.
There’s also a permit category for those investing in Bulgaria, but as the minimum investment is US$500,000, it won’t suit everyone!
To apply for a residence permit, you must first obtain a Type D visa (see bellow) in your home country and then travel to Bulgaria. Once you arrive in Bulgaria, you should apply for the appropriate residence permit as soon as possible.
The decision takes around seven days and, if you’re successful, your passport will be stamped to show that you’ve been granted a residence permit, so you will be able to leave the country and return when you need to. Note that the requirements for a Type D visa are the same as those for a residence permit – so if you’re successful in obtaining a Type D visa from a Bulgarian embassy or consulate, you should have no trouble obtaining a residence permit in Bulgaria.
Validity and renewal
Residence permits are valid for 12 months and can be renewed towards the end of this period. It’s usually a formality to have a permit renewed, although you will need to have spent at least six months and one day of the 12-month period in Bulgaria. You will be able to apply for a permanent residence permit (valid indefinitely) after five years’ residence in Bulgaria.
The full ‘Law For The Foreigners In The Republic Of Bulgaria’ is available on the Bulgarian Ministry of Interior website ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] – click on ‘Legal Framework’/'Laws and Rules’).

All foreign visitors to Bulgaria must register with the local police station within five days of arrival. This involves simply providing the address of where you’re staying, your name and your passport details (number and expiry date).
If you’re staying in a hotel or guest house, police registration will normally be carried out automatically for you, but you must remember to register yourself if you’re renting privately or staying with friends. Most border guards won’t take issue if you’ve stayed only a few days without registering, but if you’ve stayed for several weeks without registering you may be liable for a large fine (or considerable hassle).
You’re also recommended to register with your local embassy or consulate – registration isn’t usually compulsory, but most embassies likes to keep a record of their country’s citizens in Bulgaria in case of a major accident or natural disaster.
Application for a short-stay visa (Type C)
For a short-stay visa (entitles you to entry Bulgaria for a period of up to 90 days), you must provide:
a current passport (valid for three months from the date of entry),
a passport-size photograph,
confirmation of a booking at a hotel in Bulgaria or the address of a private residence where you will be staying,
and either:
a ticket for return or onward travel or
proof that you have enough funds to support your stay in Bulgaria.
The multi-entry short-stay visa requires all of the above, plus:
a photocopy of the personal information pages of your passport,
proof of possession of enough money to cover accommodation and subsistence costs (equivalent to €100 euros per day)
and, if you don’t have onward travel or return airfares arranged:
proof of having €300 euros to cover the cost of leaving Bulgaria.
Long-stay visa (Type D)
Apply for a Type D visa at the Ministry of Interior within 90 or 30 days of your arrival. An application requires a number of documents, including the following:
the application form and two passport-size photographs;

a current passport;

evidence of having formed a limited company, a certified copy of the company’s tax registration document and a court certificate that the company is solvent, and evidence that you’ve hired Bulgarian citizens;

a certificate from the National Social Security Institute that you’re contributing to social security and have no outstanding tax payments;

a certificate from the tax office showing the amount of taxes paid (if applicable);

a recent bank statement and a bank certificate that you’re solvent;

evidence of accommodation in Bulgaria and the address.
Work permit
To work in Bulgaria, you will need a work permit, issued by the Bulgarian Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, which will allow you to apply for Type D visa allowing you to stay for 12 months (see above). If you plan to work in Bulgaria for a salary, your potential employer will organise a work permit, which will usually be dependent on the job being one that cannot be filled by a Bulgarian (e.g. teaching English).
If you’ve retired and plan to move to Bulgaria permanently, you need to apply for a Type D visa. Furthermore, you will need to prove that:
you’re entitled to retirement income in your home country,
produce evidence that you have a valid Bulgarian bank account and
that you have accommodation and an address in Bulgaria.
Once you’ve obtained a Type D visa, you have 12 months to apply for a residence permit.
Back to top Go down


Posts : 706
Join date : 2009-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Hudson the person Sallyann is talking about is estars his wife is Chinese and he is moving to |Bulgaria so he had to sort her Visa out I'm sure if you send him a Pm he maybe able to give you some pointers I know your not talking about China but the principle should be the same I would have thought? his name is John

You are more likely to get in trouble if you have nothing to do  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 pm

You could also contact the Bulgarian embassy or the consulate and they will help g

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Super user
Super user

Posts : 1186
Join date : 2010-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:34 pm

You could ask nets about the teaching part I know he has got information for a young girl on here who wants to teach! from Bulgarian friend of his who is a teacher, as for the visa I should think what Ashley has said and nets is worth a stab
Back to top Go down
Registered user
Registered user

Posts : 3
Join date : 2010-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Posts : 7311
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 60

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Hope all goes well for you Hutson56, please let us know how you get on g


Oddy s

Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mega user
Mega user

Posts : 2267
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 62
Location : Paskalevets

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 am

Many thanks for original article and the follow ups, however, I do feel that people reading this forum mostly fall into three categories, that is: they already live here or they come here for a holiday, maybe for the complete Summer or they are moving here from somewhere else in the world. But in the main from my point of view, I would be more interested if the suggestions and advice were directed more at EU citizens. This is a large item to tackle, but it needs to be more definitive. c
Back to top Go down
Super user
Super user

Posts : 714
Join date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 am

I see what you mean I think the confusion came at the start of this topic by the Lawyer? I would have thought all the information that you are talking about itchyfeet is here viewtopic.php?f=20&
or have I misunderstood what you've said here ???
Back to top Go down
Junior user
Junior user

Posts : 75
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:50 pm

[size=150:2ixyji4a]Hi All

Just a quick update,

In the process in getting my wife a "
D long term Visa"
She is not an EU passport holder.
For members in China who need visas, the Bulgarian Embassy in Beijing telephone number is 010 6532 1946 or 010 6532 1916. Bulgarian, English and Chinese spoken.

This is the answer I got from the Bulgarian Embassy in London
The EU citizen can stay in Bulgaria up to 90 within each period of six months. If you plan to migrate there you need a residence permit and you can obtain it in a local police office. That's mean you need an address in Bulgaria. The procedure for your children /with British passports/ is the same. You need legalized marriage and birth certificates. The procedure for your wife is different. She needs to apply for long-term visa type D. She can do it in a Bulgarian embassy in the country of her residence. To start this visa procedure she needs your Bulgarian residence card or certified copy of it. More information please find out on our web
site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Super user
Super user

Posts : 1250
Join date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 pm

That all sounds to be very good advice thank you for posting this I'm sure others will find it helpful to read this from someone who has done it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Immigration and visas   

Back to top Go down

Immigration and visas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

 Similar topics

» DIF office in Chapala, address & hours
» What's with this Immigration requirement?
» New Immigration office in Chapala?
» Local Immigration Office Statistics for Chapala and Death records
» Immigration Question

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Visa and Passport information-