altText
altText

Furniture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
fingers

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:10 am

First topic message reminder :

I am contemplating a move to BG in the near future. Would you advise shipping my existing furniture to BG or buying new upon arrival?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:35 pm

We bought 30 m3 of stuff over from the UK for 1,500 Euros - I personally find the quality of furniture not so good here. For us it was definitely worth bringing stuff over. We bought a ride on lawnmower, loads of tools &
scaffolding, an American style fridge freezer, coffee tables, double bed &
mattress, coffee tables garden furniture, gas BBQ, numerous smaller items etc.

When we worked out the replacement cost, shipping over, was definitely better value for money, and I have better furniture than I can find for the same price here.

There is no easy answer to anything!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
cowshed-sarah
Super user
Super user
cowshed-sarah

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Esta wrote:
We bought 30 m3 of stuff over from the UK for 1,500 Euros - I personally find the quality of furniture not so good here. For us it was definitely worth bringing stuff over. We bought a ride on lawnmower, loads of tools &
scaffolding, an American style fridge freezer, coffee tables, double bed &
mattress, coffee tables garden furniture, gas BBQ, numerous smaller items etc.

When we worked out the replacement cost, shipping over, was definitely better value for money, and I have better furniture than I can find for the same price here.

There is no easy answer to anything!!!!

But what if you had gone shopping in Greece? would it still be worth it? I did as Netsniper did and went to the better shops here and although I may not have saved anything or lost anything I got a whole new load of good quality furniture.
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 7:18 am

Buy the largest cheapy van/Luton body van/box 7.5 tonner that you can and bring it all with you.Obviously don't buy a 7.5 tonner if you only require a Luton bodied Transit.Bear in mind the weight too.We sold about 20k worth of stuff before we left for maybe a grand and have regretted it ever since as it's still 20k to replace.The van may cost 2k but you'll recoup most of that when you sell it here.Take a mechanic with you to check what you are buying is relatively reliable and is likely to make the journey.Bodywork isn't such an issue here as the MOT process is a lot less strict than the UK and BG's tend not to look for perfection of bodywork and low mileage like we do in the UK.If it runs,drives OK and is cheap they will buy it.
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 8:32 am

Quote :
But what if you had gone shopping in Greece? would it still be worth it? I did as Netsniper did and went to the better shops here and although I may not have saved anything or lost anything I got a whole new load of good quality furniture.

It may have been worth it - but I did not really consider that at the time. We also "
hit the ground running"
work wise.

I worked out the replacement costs of the items I had in the UK. The replacement cost of the ride-on (more like a little tractor) and the, nearly new, American style fridge freezer justified bringing my stuff across. Not to mention the tools, scaffolding. I also had some "
sentimental"
furniture items (wedding gifts and other presents) that are all still in good condition.

When people come from the UK they joke that my house here looks similar to my house in the UK. I think they find it comforting!!!

c
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 10:08 am

Quote :

When people come from the UK they joke that my house here looks similar to my house in the UK. I think they find it comforting!!!

I found it very comforting....I wish I had brought it all
Back to top Go down
fruitlover
Senior user
Senior user

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Different solutions work for different people and needs, I think it's great to hear about them all. Knowing all the options surely helps us to make the right decisions. It's especially good to know about the value of bringing those non-furniture things like garden machinery, if you are going to need it. Some of us love the furniture we have, some fancy a change, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it? The more folks who tell us what they did and how it worked out for them, what they'd do the same and what they'd change, the better, so thankyou everyone!
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I sold everything in England and started from scratch and it didn't bother me at all and I did find that by shopping around I could get some very good quality imports in Bulgaria which I am happy with , having said that I am a bloke and woman look at things differently because they really are the ones that make a house into a home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Furniture - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Furniture   Furniture - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Furniture

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3