altText

exchanging UKllicense

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

exchanging UKllicense Empty
PostSubject: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 5:39 am

I have one of the old pink paper UK licenses which does not expire for 7 years. Is it easy to exchange this for a Bulgarian license or is it wiser to carry on with this one and not rock the boat? Thanks folks for any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 6:05 am

The exchange is straightforward enough...pays to remember that they take your UK one which is then cancelled. Might make it a bit difficult if you decide to return to live in the UK.
Back to top Go down
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks for the advice. Absolutely no plans to live in the UK again!
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 am

Hi Justbazz

Quote :
pays to remember that they take your UK one which is then cancelled

I wonder if this is one of those 'Area' things ?? have some UK residents in this neck of the woods - Dobrich- who are going through the process, medical done, residential check done etc, but they have been told to send in a photocopy of their UK licence? which they have done..

Will double check, as it sounds like another area that can cause confusion,

Quote :
Might make it a bit difficult if you decide to return to live in the UK.

Agree, then there is Brexit??????????????

Bill
Back to top Go down
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 am

Is there a medical required for an exchange? Not a problem but seems a bit cheeky. Presumably this Yr 8 education documentation wouldn't apply - there is no way my school will still have records from 1966.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

Medical mostly consists of an eyesight test, but may differ from place to place. The education aspect won't be required for a straight exchange. The Plovdiv KAT uses the photocopy of the UK licence to liase with UK authorities regarding demerit points and previous history and will take the original off you when handing over the BG photo licence.

Been there...done that.
Back to top Go down
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks for that. I tried to get my license on the DVLC website but can't enter a UK postcode since I haven't lived there since 1998. Will try to contact Swansea by phone or mail
Back to top Go down
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi all,

Finally got the DVLA to acknowledge my existence, the postcodes had changed. I see that my UK license is valid in BG (until I'm 70). Brexit may cause a hiccup but I'll carry on with it for now. Forgot to take my BG residence card with me the other day was stopped by a cop for not wearing seat belt and offered him my Qatari health card (expired) as ID. Accepted without question Very reasonable police here!.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Just a quick point...regarding the validity period of your licence...if you are a fulltime resident in BG you may find that there is a requirement for you to obtain the local version after a set period of time. If, on the other hand, you leave the country and return later...in other words, come and go...there should be no problem.

It's a bit of a grey area, but it might pay you to check it out.

I'm not trying to make life difficult for you, or anyone else....but these people can be a right PITA at times, but as you said, they can be reasonable too. g
Back to top Go down
deerstalker
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks Bazz. Yes, I'll bear that in mind. Just got back from a quick visit to UK so should okay for a while.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm

If you make those types of trips from time to time, you should be ok.
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user
BGIan

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 pm

justbazz wrote:
Just a quick point...regarding the validity period of your licence...if you are a fulltime resident in BG you may find that there is a requirement for you to obtain the local version after a set period of time. If, on the other hand, you leave the country and return later...in other words, come and go...there should be no problem.

It's a bit of a grey area, but it might pay you to check it out.

I'm not trying to make life difficult for you, or anyone else....but these people can be a right PITA at times, but as you said, they can be reasonable too. g

Hi Bazz, i looked into this sometime back and at present you are not required by BG law to exchange your UK licence for a BG one, after brexit things might change though!
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Ian

I guess if you maintain a UK address it shouldn't be a problem....I know that when I moved over here, I tried to advise DVLA of my change of address and they jumped up and down, stating that I had to be resident in the UK to hold a valid licence. A little bit of shifty footwork was needed...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exchanging UKllicense   exchanging UKllicense Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

exchanging UKllicense

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Traveling in Bulgaria and Vehicle Related Information Repairs,Fuel etc.-