HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

This may interest the readers amongst us.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2016 6:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Being an avid reader and owning a collection/library of some hundreds of books, most of which I've read many times over, an idea popped into my head today.

A book exchange or borrowing service exclusively for forum members.

I'm not talking about one of those places where you pay to get a copy, or exchange one for one etc.....more like asking for or requesting a certain title, or works by a certain author who you may find interesting. I'm pretty sure we all have books tucked away, gathering dust which were saved because they were a good read (or cost a bit more than normal)...maybe it's time to share them around. As I said earlier, I don't envisage any type of fee or payment...example...someone asks for a specific copy or works by that author....someone just happens to have what that person needs...box it all up, call the courier...receiver pays the freight fees.
We are pretty lucky here in Bulgaria...companies like Econt and Rapido provide a countrywide service at a very reasonable rate and they both do the COD thing.

If anyone is interested in such a concept, I'm happy to start it all off. If there is enough interest, I'm sure Ashley could advise me on how to start a seperate, dedicated section, under the Index listings.

What do you all think...am I rocking the boat?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 11:31 am

g
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 11:47 am

Recieved book parcel...many many thanks for that...will pass to a mate after for her to read
HI asks do you have any Wilber Smith..Clive Cuzzler books you dont want anymore

for others reading this thread...FYI...the parcel weighed 3.3 klo and cost me 5lv 20 stk...came the next day
consisted of 8 books IE 6 paperbacks and 2 hardbacks.....so no way expensive

hope others will partake..expecially now winters coming
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Tell himself that I have quite a few by both authors....any particular titles?
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Id tell him but he wouldn,t have a clue !!
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Might be easier if I knew what he has read up to now. As I said, I have a number of books by both authors...approx 25 in total.

No point in wasting good money on postage only to find that he's read most, or all of them.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Regarding a comment in an earlier post of yours...the one about passing on the books to a mate when you're finished...that is exactly what I was hoping would happen when I came up with the idea.

Books left sitting on a shelf, not being read, are nothing more than gatherers of dust.
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Just before I tuck myself in for the night, let me say this.

If anyone wants, needs, or is wondering about a certain book, I will be going back up to the library (mine) tomorrow and can check out any requested works. I won't be up there again until the middle of next week ( well, maybe Sunday with some forum VIPs, but books won't be on the menu), so if anyone has a request or question regarding reading material, get cracking tonight.

I will check the forum early tomorrow morning before I leave, but don't forget the time zone difference. Best you do it tonight.

Justbazz, the bookworm. This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 2142662594
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2016 8:22 pm

varnagirl wrote:
Id tell him but he wouldn,t have a clue !!

Checked today and I do have books by both authors...multiple titles.
Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 4:07 pm

I read this post some time ago and I thought that it was a wonderful idea, I haven't been overly keen on typing recently because of a wrist injury, but I have regularly read the posts and I thought this particular thread was too good to let stagnate.

Personally I now read mostly ebooks in the epub format (due to not being in the UK for more than 6 days in the last 10 years or so).

The ebooks that I read are almost all classics (mainly because they are open source and free) but I have the complete works of the following authors;

Charles Dickens
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Jules Verne (the unabridged versions)
And Oscar Wilde

A few others aside but that covers the most part.

If anyone is interested send me a PM and I can email any particular title from the authors mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 pm

As an after thought instead of a PM (with Ashley's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] permission) I can also post them here online if a request is made
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 5:30 pm

You have just restored my faith in human nature GeshiSimon....I was beginning to think that Varnagirl and I were the only readers amongst us. I realise that readers have different tastes and may not always be interested in what others may prefer...but, if you don't ask, or offer, you will never know...more importantly, if you have purchased, or have been given a book which you didn't like or enjoy, please don't just throw it away!

I started this thread simply because I have a collection that is outgrowing my storage capacity, but I couldn't bear the thought of adding to the landfill problem...someone, somewhere, must share my interest. This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 927475117
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 6:22 pm

For GeshiSimon and any one else who may want to be a part of this exercise...why not just pop up a list of books and authors you may have available for swapping...or those books you may be chasing.

It may be helpful to mention where you are living when you list such offers....5kg of books sent anywhere within BG will cost about 5 leva...from the UK ...about 35 leva! This may be important to some people.

Getting back to the post by GeshiSimon.....I would be interested in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle works.

Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 6:22 pm

For GeshiSimon and any one else who may want to be a part of this exercise...why not just pop up a list of books and authors you may have available for swapping...or those books you may be chasing.

It may be helpful to mention where you are living when you list such offers....5kg of books sent anywhere within BG will cost about 5 leva...from the UK ...about 35 leva! This may be important to some people.

Getting back to the post by GeshiSimon.....I would be interested in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle works.

Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 8:46 am

I forgot to mention in my previous post you'll need ebook reader software for the epub format, many are available online for free, I use Cool Reader because it is more like turning the pages of a book (which I prefer to scrolling, just more book like).

Back to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], any particular titles I have a host of books and short stories and also the complete works in 1 volume (although this does seem to bog down the reader software somewhat at 20Mb)

Finally, for the moment, an apology most of the epub transcriptions are American so you just have to tolerate the omission of the letter "u" in certain words, I first came across this in Great Expectations (I'm sure Dickens would not approve) This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
GeshiSimon
Senior user
Senior user
GeshiSimon

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 5:07 pm

I hope everybody has had a great day today, I had lunch at my parents and have almost recovered now from a turkey overdose.

OK, so to be back on topic, I can't post the complete works because of the file size but for starters [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at the end of this I shall post "A Study in Scarlet" (1887), Sherlock Holmes, the first novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and also "The Lost World" (1912) an adventure story, which may or may not be to your liking.

I have all 20 of A C D's novels in the epub format any many of the short stories in individual files.

Unfortunately, due to understandable limits on storage space , I will delete these files on 7th January (2 weeks)(edit: from this server)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Following a PM with justbazz, can attachments be added to PM's

Bazz, if the uploads work and you like the books, please let me know and I can upload further volumes in the series (including short strories) chronologically.

Last edited by GeshiSimon on Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This may interest the readers amongst us.   This may interest the readers amongst us. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This may interest the readers amongst us.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next