HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in


Share | 

 Did you know??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Super user
Super user

Posts : 555
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Did you know??   Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Asylum support

What you'll get

You can ask for somewhere to live, a cash allowance or both as an asylum seeker.

You’ll be given somewhere to live if you need it. This could be in a flat, house, hostel or bed and breakfast.

You can’t choose where you live. It’s unlikely you’ll get to live in London or south-east England.
Cash support

You’ll be able to collect money from a local post office each week. This will help you pay for things you need like food, clothing and toiletries.

You’ll get £36.95 for each person in your household.
If you’ve been refused asylum

You’ll be given:

   somewhere to live
   £35.39 per person on a payment card for food, clothing and toiletries

You won’t be given:

   the payment card if you don’t take the offer of somewhere to live
   any money

Extra money for mothers and young children

You’ll get extra money to buy healthy food if you’re pregnant or a mother of a child under 3. The amount you get will depend on your situation.
Your situation Extra payment per week

Pregnant mother £3

Baby under 1 year old £5

Child aged 1 to 3 £3

Maternity payment

You can apply for a one-off £300 maternity payment if your baby is due in 8 weeks or less, or if your baby is under 6 weeks old.
If you’ve been refused asylum

You can apply for a one-off £250 maternity payment if your baby is due in 8 weeks or less or if you baby is under 6 weeks old.
Applying for the maternity grant

You apply for the maternity grant in the same way whether you’re still an asylum seeker or you’ve been refused asylum.

You’ll need to request form MAT B1 from your doctor to apply for the payment. You can apply for the maternity payment at the same time you apply for asylum support.

If you get pregnant after you’ve applied for asylum support, you can apply to the support team that dealt with your application for asylum support.

You may get free National Health Service (NHS) healthcare, eg to see a doctor or get hospital treatment.

You’ll also get:

   free prescriptions for medicine
   free dental care for your teeth
   free eyesight tests
   help paying for glasses


Your children must attend school if they are aged 5 to 17. All state schools are free and your children may be able to get free school meals.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is more than some of our poor troops get when they get back
Back to top Go down

Did you know??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: ExPat Lounge-