HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in


Share | 

 Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Super user
Super user

Posts : 555
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad   Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they may need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.

From that date the paper counterpart of British driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.

Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad could need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.

To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.

But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip may need to generate a new code while they are abroad.

For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.

However, the code is not an official requirement and it will depend on the individual hire company's terms whether or not it is required.

The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.

"Our research shows that with just over a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change," said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.

'Belt and braces'

The DVLA recommends destroying paper counterparts after 8 June.

However the AA is advising people to hang on to the document, in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.

"Not all car rental companies, or indeed traffic police abroad, will be aware of the changes, so a 'belt and braces' approach of also taking the counterpart might help," said AA president Edmund King.

But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem.

Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after 8 June.

The British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA) said the situation still was not clear.

"Due to the short notice provided by the DVLA and the need to thoroughly test the new system, many car rental companies are still finalising their plans for the UK and abroad," said a BVRLA spokesperson.

The old-style paper licences, issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, will remain valid, but holders will still need a code to fully validate them.

To view a record of their convictions, motorists can log on to the View My Driving licence page of the government website.

They will need their driving licence number, their national insurance number and their postcode.

The changes do not apply to driving licences issued by the DVA in Northern Ireland.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Junior user
Junior user

Posts : 49
Join date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: DVLA Paper part of Driving Licence   Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 am

DVLA Paper part of Driving Licence

New driving licence rules mean you may need a code to hire a car from 8 June

From 8 June, new rules mean you need to request a personal code from the DVLA up to 72 hours before picking up a car either in the UK or abroad. This is so hire firms can check for points, as paper licences are being scrapped for photocard holders. You may not be asked, but to be safe ensure you get one in advance.

You can read full details of the driving licence changes in the DVLA warning MSE news story.

To get a code, you'll need to request one from DVLA via Gov.uk or by calling 0300 790 6801.

You will need to provide your driving licence number found on your photocard or on your paper driving licence for paper-only motorists, national insurance number and the postcode on your driving licence.

Give this code to the rental desk when you pick up your car - it effectively gives the company temporary access to your licence info. But, annoyingly, the code only lasts for 72 hours before expiring, so make sure you don't request it too early.

You'll also be able to download a PDF of your licence, which will be worth taking as a precaution - though you will still need the code. Not all car hire companies currently request to see the paper part of your licence, so may not ask for the code either, but don't take the risk - get a code just in case.

Some driving organisations such as the AA are also advising motorists to take the paper counterpart of their photocard licence with them too just in case there are any problems. It's also warning drivers who want to hire a car abroad to be extra cautious as overseas car hire firms, or even traffic police abroad, may not be aware of the changes and may demand to see your paper licence.

Back to top Go down
Registered user
Registered user

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad   Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for this I needed to make sure I have everything in order when I visit T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad   

Back to top Go down

Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

» Problems with Spinach and Lettuce
» Help with plant problems!
» Squash problems
» Bread making problems - help please!
» Texas Haas Avocado problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Traveling to and around Bulgaria-