Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

GP's Empty
PostSubject: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 am

[size=150:3npodq76]Are GPs putting patients at risk by diagnosing them on the phone?

I would like all members to read this and pass comment T

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... z2yHjWY3Gn
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 8:05 am

We are at the cusp of a major revolution in medical science, lets look though history for a moment. The main Guy in the article suffered from an array of symptoms, 200 years ago the certainty is he would die, 100 years ago they would applied various chemicals (poisons) and he would die, 50 years ago he would be given (at that time) groundbreaking chemicals and possibly open heart surgery 50-50% he would live, tho possibly not as he would wish. 10 years ago he would got to see your doctor, he would do an examination and hopefully he would diangose coronary heart disease, given an arrar of tablets that will help alleviate the symptoms then visit the cardiologist, he may recommend more tablets or keyhole surgery or both, 99% chance he will survive tho his life has possible changed for the rest of his life.
Today, the world is now full of stastistics, the guy in the article is one of many, uncomfortable as it may seem this is now how many things are solved. We don't know the full story, only what the newspaper would have us believe, about the account over the phone with his GP, had he suffered any previous similar conditions, did he give a full account of the symptoms, we just don't know, we do know his reluctance to visit his GP earlier, so maybe even the guy didn't realise the grave situation he was in, "
statistically"
he suffered from a virus infection, in 95% (or more) cases the diagnosis and prognosis will be correct, unfortunately he was one of the 5%
Death and Taxes are inevitable (someone said) while i have some sympathy, to blame the system (in my mind, others will argue differently) when the system works for most people most of thie timeis, in my view is "
headline grabbing"

Now to the future, already we are seeing major advances in medial science, DNA sequencing, stem cell research, small devices that can be fitted under your skin that will send data via your smartphone (like an App) to a monotoring system were your Doctor/ I.T. guy will actuall call you to tell that your suffering from a possible cardiac complication.
Stem cells will be implanted into your body and it will heal itself, without a a long hospital stay for major surgery!
DNA sequencing will show any hereditary faults in your Genome and repair it BEFORE YOU ARE BORN, your kin will never suffer the aches and pain you suffered!
Our children and their children will laugh (as we do now when "
applying leeches"
cured all) at our system, laying on a bed while some guy cuts you open and removes things, then stay in a building with aweful food for weeks to recover. Think about it, things move on and evolve, this is science not science fiction.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 am

Today's generation is full of people who only want to answer a phone and shuffle paper on their desks, no one wants to get off their backside and do anything physical. BG has a better health system than the UK, no making appointments for tests, everything is done almost immediately at hospitals and the care is unsurpasable.
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am

I would agree that in some hospitals in Bg they are very quick to help sort you out and get you back to good health but that can't be said for all of them, I know of a couple of hospitals I would allow a dog into and that only because of how dirty and antiquated they are, as for treatment in the 2 I mention I also had a friend who was taken into hospital with a suspected heart attack only to be sent home saying it was something she had eaten, 2 days later she passed away with a second massive heart attack so I'm sorry I don't have any faith in the BG hospitals or heath service. As for diagnosing someone over the phone well I think it doesn't need answering its obvious that you can not diagnose over the phone because you can not see the patient, you can't check blood pressures, temp etc so yes its yet another barmy idea directly from the barmy army.
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

Has anyone considered how long it could take to get your Gp to call you back?
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 am

Edna Bira wrote:
We are at the cusp of a major revolution in medical science, lets look though history for a moment. The main Guy in the article suffered from an array of symptoms, 200 years ago the certainty is he would die, 100 years ago they would applied various chemicals (poisons) and he would die, 50 years ago he would be given (at that time) groundbreaking chemicals and possibly open heart surgery 50-50% he would live, tho possibly not as he would wish. 10 years ago he would got to see your doctor, he would do an examination and hopefully he would diagnose coronary heart disease, given an array of tablets that will help alleviate the symptoms then visit the cardiologist, he may recommend more tablets or keyhole surgery or both, 99% chance he will survive tho his life has possible changed for the rest of his life.
Today, the world is now full of statistics, the guy in the article is one of many, uncomfortable as it may seem this is now how many things are solved. We don't know the full story, only what the newspaper would have us believe, about the account over the phone with his GP, had he suffered any previous similar conditions, did he give a full account of the symptoms, we just don't know, we do know his reluctance to visit his GP earlier, so maybe even the guy didn't realise the grave situation he was in, "
statistically"
he suffered from a virus infection, in 95% (or more) cases the diagnosis and prognosis will be correct, unfortunately he was one of the 5%
Death and Taxes are inevitable (someone said) while i have some sympathy, to blame the system (in my mind, others will argue differently) when the system works for most people most of the time is, in my view is "
headline grabbing"

Now to the future, already we are seeing major advances in medial science, DNA sequencing, stem cell research, small devices that can be fitted under your skin that will send data via your smartphone (like an App) to a monitoring system were your Doctor/ I.T. guy will actual call you to tell that your suffering from a possible cardiac complication.
Stem cells will be implanted into your body and it will heal itself, without a a long hospital stay for major surgery!
DNA sequencing will show any hereditary faults in your Genome and repair it BEFORE YOU ARE BORN, your kin will never suffer the aches and pain you suffered!
Our children and their children will laugh (as we do now when "
applying leeches"
cured all) at our system, laying on a bed while some guy cuts you open and removes things, then stay in a building with awful food for weeks to recover. Think about it, things move on and evolve, this is science not science fiction.

By coincidence, a BBC website link to the advances in medical science, ok the content may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the "
related stories"
and the "
analysis"
by James Gallagher gives another insight of the fast evolving breakthroughs in medical science.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] GP's 3135333095
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 am

I agree there are some what are known as 'Major medical breakthroughs' and some of them very questionable however we do seem to be getting off topic here, the question bu the op is 'Are GPs putting patients at risk by diagnosing them on the phone? ' which doesn't really have much to with with some of the medical aspects raised so far. Doctors are going to have to make a lot of dangerous assumptions diagnosing and prescribing over the phone....even if all you need is antibiotics they should know what the organism is so they can prescribe the right antibiotic. we have enough problems with antibiotics overuse creating superbugs already and it appears this over the phone business will only add to that too.
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

Must agree with you blink on all points, I remember when I was in the uk trying to get a doctor to call you back just was an option if it was urgent, what you needed to do was to book a call for the following day but you could have been dead by then because the reason you need to see a doctor is for him/her to examine you and tell you what is or is not wrong. I think this is yet another Camerooooooooooon's way of his government saving money so that they can all have more holidays or bigger expense accounts.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:36 am

We have great service in P'boro I ring the doctors survery if there is a problem - explain to the receptionist and she books Dougie in for the same day or from time to time I will ask if the doctor can ring back and he always does but insists on seeing Dougie anyway so appointment is booked with him. Before we left UK Friday morning ring to say Dougie had a bad chesty cought appt was made for 12.30 and he was given antibiotics. We have been with this surgury for over 30 years and some of the doctors are still with us

g
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Blink wrote:
I agree there are some what are known as 'Major medical breakthroughs' and some of them very questionable however we do seem to be getting off topic here, the question bu the op is 'Are GPs putting patients at risk by diagnosing them on the phone? ' which doesn't really have much to with with some of the medical aspects raised so far. Doctors are going to have to make a lot of dangerous assumptions diagnosing and prescribing over the phone....even if all you need is antibiotics they should know what the organism is so they can prescribe the right antibiotic. we have enough problems with antibiotics overuse creating superbugs already and it appears this over the phone business will only add to that too.

:Good post:Blink T
The main reason I started this topic was because I was interested to know if any member had been subjected to any unusual circumstances regarding GP's and the phone issue
My wife takes medication, one pill every morning, she had four day's supply left so phoned the surgery and ask the receptionist for a repeat prescription, she was told, we can't do that as there might be a change in your circumstances and health so you must make an appointment to see a doctor, Ok she said when can I come in, to be told the first available slot is in three weeks time. She asked to speak to the Doctor, five day's have now gone by and she still awaits a phone call and has taken the last pill this morning. You just can't WIN GP's 794030042
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 am

nu2bg wrote:
Must agree with you blink on all points, I remember when I was in the uk trying to get a doctor to call you back just was an option if it was urgent, what you needed to do was to book a call for the following day but you could have been dead by then because the reason you need to see a doctor is for him/her to examine you and tell you what is or is not wrong. I think this is yet another Camerooooooooooon's way of his government saving money so that they can all have more holidays or bigger expense accounts.

nu2bg quote:-
I think this is yet another Camerooooooooooon's way of his government saving money so that they can all have more holidays or bigger expense accounts.
With all due respect I don't think this topic has anything to do with politics, perhaps it was said with tongue in cheek :GP's 1931734156:
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am

willowsend wrote:
nu2bg wrote:
I think this is yet another Camerooooooooooon's way of his government saving money so that they can all have more holidays or bigger expense accounts.
With all due respect I don't think this topic has anything to do with politics, perhaps it was said with tongue in cheek :GP's 1931734156:

It most certainly was GP's 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

willowsend wrote:
nu2bg wrote:

Touche' g

I read the link and commented.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

One of the problems with this is that people with quite advanced heart disease can have few, if any, symptoms and the only way they can be diagnosed is by a visit to their Gp who will carry out tests asap, now lets say they wait for a doctor to call them back or they can not get hold on the doctor on the phone because he is busy then this may then develop into a full blown heart attack. If there are no obvious symptoms then how can any patient relay what is going on in their body to a Gp? however once in front of a Gp he/she will carry out some tests and instinctively call for an ambulance. So as far as I am concerned its not possible to carry out diagnosis over the phone and this should never have been allowed.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2014 6:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 56710.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GP's Empty
PostSubject: Re: GP's   GP's Icon_minitime