View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:05 am

i am over in Bulagaria first week in March and will have to open a bank account simply question for all those who live there permenantly, euro or lev account, as i dont want to start collecting lev when its euro and i dont want euros when its lev.
ideas please
Back to top Go down
http://www.askbuck.com/.
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 am

Depends want you want it for, i don't think it really matters to be honest, you can have both of course. If you are looking at transferring a big sum for a property purchase then i would say Euro, but if it's for day to day stuff i'd say Leva. Interest rates seem to be the same whichever. I have a Bank account in Leva but only for the bills etc, for everything else i take Sterling and change it there into whatever i need.
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:57 am

thanks
it's mainly for day to day and hopefully paying for building works and staff as well as material required.
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Brenda and I each have a leva current account and find it ok for day to day use. We can withdraw 400 leva each per day from ATMs if need be.Most, if not all, day to day payments are cash transactions and in leva. Card transactions apart from the large supermarkets , restaurants ,stores and petrol stations are still quite rare we find. euro/lev 2581928987 :Angel1:j
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 2:10 pm

paddy wrote:
i am over in Bulagaria first week in March and will have to open a bank account simply question for all those who live there permenantly, euro or lev account, as i dont want to start collecting lev when its euro and i dont want euros when its lev.
ideas please

We have always taken the sterling with us as you get a better rate there but do not change it at the bank as they charge you. We had a euro and a sterling account but never used them however, the kindly charge us for having the accounts. read this topic when you get a moment viewtopic.php?f=64&
t=6919
I then opened a lev account but again when I put money in from the UK they will charge to accept it and when I draw it out they will charge for that too. If I have a debit card, guess what euro/lev 2345823347 Yep, they will charge for that too. This time I double checked that there will be no charges on the account. i don't want anything to do with the banks if I can help it, but do need an account to transfer just in case of any emergencies. in the meantime we use the safe and exchange cash for lev. g It works for us
Back to top Go down
paddy
Senior user
Senior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm

thanks oddball, as i need an account i think for the time being i will just have a leva account as if its 2levas a month i think i can manage that, you said you got charged for your card use so i think i will have to learn to read Bulgarian after all if i am going to live there then i should at the very least speak it, unless it really is hard then i will just employ some one to do it for me.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 4:23 pm

paddy wrote:
thanks oddball, as i need an account i think for the time being i will just have a leva account as if its 2levas a month i think i can manage that, you said you got charged for your card use so i think i will have to learn to read Bulgarian after all if i am going to live there then i should at the very least speak it, unless it really is hard then i will just employ some one to do it for me.

Here you go learn to speak a few word [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mcsgadgets
Junior user
Junior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 6:21 pm

I am thinking about opening an account when over there. And pay into it each month ready for the following years Holiday....
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 pm

mcsgadgets wrote:
I am thinking about opening an account when over there. And pay into it each month ready for the following years Holiday....

Good idea but if you pay into it from the UK you will have a transfer fee of around £20 each transaction so think carefully. You could bring money with you and bank it.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm

paddy wrote:

Ever since I started to go to Bulgaria I have always taken Sterling. I go to the same little corner kiosk (Western Union) the man in there has got to know me, he looks up at the exchange board and what ever the rate is, he always gives me one leva more. If you are changing £1000 it gives you a couple of free beers. I do have a Bulgarian bank account and I do keep funds in there enough to pay the security, water and electricity etc
The only time I pay for anything in Euro's is the hire car
Hope that helps :euro/lev 1931734156:
Back to top Go down
mcsgadgets
Junior user
Junior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 pm

oddball wrote:
mcsgadgets wrote:

Good idea but if you pay into it from the UK you will have a transfer fee of around £20 each transaction so think carefully. You could bring money with you and bank it.

Really? I Didn't know that! On any amount?
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 6:04 pm

mcsgadgets wrote:
oddball wrote:
mcsgadgets wrote:

Really? I Didn't know that! On any amount?

Yes i understand it is a fixed fee - I transferred £14k and paid £25 transfer fee and if you are transferring to say the builder than he has to pay a fee to receive - it's all payout. My Bulgarian bank said there will be no fee to transfer to them if the amount is under 10K actually I don't remember if that is in £ or lev I think it is £.
Back to top Go down
mcsgadgets
Junior user
Junior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Oh I'm only talking small amounts, but I don't think it would be worth it every month.....
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 am

I saw this and thought quite a good little card however, make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully.

Halifax Clarity Card

A great credit card that won’t charge you any usage fees - whether you’re on holiday, transferring a balance, or simply getting money out.

No fee to transfer a balance
No cash withdrawal fee*
No fee to use it anywhere worldwide.

Credit limits will vary based on your individual circumstances.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... Lclarity_5
Back to top Go down
mcsgadgets
Junior user
Junior user

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks OB, I tend to steer clear of Credit Cards. I went into Santander and asked them, they said it would be £25.00 per transfer, although if I did it online it would be half that. I may just do it prior to my Holiday. Do you have to pay a fee to have a Bank account in Bulgaria? I'm guessing not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

euro/lev Empty
PostSubject: Re: euro/lev   euro/lev Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

euro/lev

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next