View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Brenda has noticed an absence of dried fruit in the markets and supermarkets.
We are both fond of fruit cake and wondered if everyone else has the same
"
problem "
? Dried fruit 2581928987 Dried fruit 1763269238
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 4:06 am

You can get raisins in Kaufland in 300g packets, and some smaller supermarkets have the odd small pack but you have to search for them, often with nuts and snacks. As a keen baker myself I am finding it a little frustrating too, but will adapt by using other fruit, such as figs and apricots. Not so good if you like a rich .....errrr...seasonal cake though. And mincemeat will be a challenge. I would like to go to Metro to see what they have there but it's business only as far as I can tell. Sugar is another challenge, though some places have brown, at a cost, haven't seen icing sugar and making your own just isn't right. Not seen glace cherries or ground almonds for my favourite cake either, used my last a week ago.

Anyone else know better...please?

Sara
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 am

Good morning Sara.

Pop into Metro and get issued with a card which must be used each time you visit..takes about 5 minutes and is free.

They have a reasonable array of dried fruits and plenty of choice for sugars.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks Bazz. I did have a look at the website and they seem to indicate it is business only. As we didn't need to form a company when we bought we don't seem to be eligible.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 6:25 am

I don't have a company either..I just went into the store, filled out the form, had photo taken and 5 mins later had my card.

If that has changed in the last 2 years, why not just put in Equinus..if there is a blank space.

I could always lend you my card if all else fails..we've got two of them.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 am

Bless you Bazz.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

Actually, if you PM a shopping list, I'll go and pick it all up for you..
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 am

bgbazz wrote:
Actually, if you PM a shopping list, I'll go and pick it all up for you..

You bored already Bazz? Dried fruit 1865348797
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 am

Not really....you cheeky devil!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 2:18 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Not really....you cheeky devil!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Who ME? Dried fruit 1865348797
Back to top Go down
blanche

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 2:26 pm

equinus......... billa has icing sugar it's in a box..........the real m'coy. never had a problem getting brown, cane or powdered sugar and not that expensive in kauffies
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 2:53 pm

blanche wrote:
equinus......... billa has icing sugar it's in a box..........the real m'coy. never had a problem getting brown, cane or powdered sugar and not that expensive in kauffies

Thanks Blanche. Have to say I have never been to Billa. Might be worth a mooch next time we see one. T
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user
BGIan

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 pm

I have a whopper crop of walnuts, but im no baker,what do other people use them in?
Thanks Ian
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Grind/crush them up and make pumkin pie..don't have to be a baker to do that one. Apart from that, Bulgarians love them, so a basketful as a gift will be happily recieved. We have some folk who drive around our village every now and then with a loudspeaker blaring, offering to buy walnuts, so that might be an option. My big tree is going to drop more than half a ton this year..we use what we need, give some away and crush the rest for the hens.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I have started on mine. Made a large coffee walnut cake and froze half, froze some kernels, eaten loads more....they are so much better than the ones you buy in GB. If you like brittle toffee you could caramelise some sugar with a spash of water till golden, then carefully dip your nut kernels, but NEVER touch as you will be badly burned, use a cocktail stick or fork, lay them on either a greased tray or baking parchment till cool, then crunch! Alternatively you can tip the nuts into the caramel and pour onto the tray/parchment and break up with a hammer when cold. Mix your favourite spices with a few drops of oil and a pinch of salt (oil helps the spice stick), toss the nuts in, roast in the oven till the spices smell scrummy and the nuts are NOT burned, just a couple of minutes. Have them with honey on yoghurt. Toss in vanilla icing sugar and roast in the oven for a couple of minutes. They are very good for you. They will keep in their shells in a cool place for six months, but they will freeze well shelled.

Sara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dried fruit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dried fruit   Dried fruit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dried fruit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next