View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user
mike&tanya

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Having brought back all of my tools from our apartment I needed somewhere to keep them, Tanya,s parents let me have an old cupboard to put in the garage, i sanded it down, and went off with Tanya to our village hardwear shop, wanting to buy primer, undercoat and topcoat. It took an age trying to explain to Tanya who in turn spoke to Mitko the shop owner what i wanted, but it seems in Bulgaria things are done differently (there,s a surprise) i ended up with a bottle of oily liquid which I was told to paint onto the bare wood first, then a tin of paint which is just painted on over the top the next day (no undercoat and top coat).
has anyone else found this problem or is it just in my village,to be honest for what i wanted to do it was good enough, but I would prefer to do other jobs the way i am used to, using the 3 levels of paint.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:23 pm

mike&tanya wrote:
Having brought back all of my tools from our apartment I needed somewhere to keep them, Tanya,s parents let me have an old cupboard to put in the garage, i sanded it down, and went off with Tanya to our village hardwear shop, wanting to buy primer, undercoat and topcoat. It took an age trying to explain to Tanya who in turn spoke to Mitko the shop owner what i wanted, but it seems in Bulgaria things are done differently (there,s a surprise) i ended up with a bottle of oily liquid which I was told to paint onto the bare wood first, then a tin of paint which is just painted on over the top the next day (no undercoat and top coat).
has anyone else found this problem or is it just in my village,to be honest for what i wanted to do it was good enough, but I would prefer to do other jobs the way i am used to, using the 3 levels of paint.

Sorry to hear of your problem Mike - unforunately you have found what all of us have discovered when trying to get paint. Bulgarian paint is next to useless, but some parts of BG you can get Dulux, I don't know about undercoat or primer. I usually get good emulsion from Praktiker and use that as an undercoat and a friend brings Dulux back from the UK for us because we don't have a supplier near VT.
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:30 pm

We got emulsion from a paint shop behind Penny Market in VT. Very good stuff, and they will mix any colour you want.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 pm

I find it sort of strange to read about paint supply probelms..over the last 5 or so years, I've had no problems finding well known brands like Dulux, Faust and a few others..even the corner shop sells them! Dulux is my paint of choice and I have at least 25 outlets within a 10 minute drive. I use their undercoat and primer as well..once again, no shortage of suppy.
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

I bought some terrible looking red paint in Baumax called something like maistro , runny , doesnt cover well, stinks..... I couldnt find undercoat to put on first , I phoned up my brother and got him to post me a gallon of cellulose sanding sealer , after a coat of sanding sealer on the window frames the paint covered brilliantly and looks fine

I just wonder why none of the shops i tried seemed to understand the idea of primer before paint
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 2:02 pm

I think finding the paint your looking for is just a matter of looking in the least expected place like everything here you will find it. Paint 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 pm

We have insulated the villa from the inside Dougie put plastic on the ceilings, then polyesterne, then plasterboard and we are now painting. g We bought a 10lt cream colour paint for an undercoat. The man in the shop said it was very good paint. Wen we opened the tub it did indeed look fab s but it is like water when it is applied Paint 927475117. I have put 3 coats on the small bathroom but still, it has not covered very well. I will try another coat tomorrow. Hope don't use the whole 10lts on te bathroom :Paint 3897195628:
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I've always found the paint here in Bg to be very watery but once applied and left to dry it always looks very good and covers well.
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 am

Where can you get good paint brushes here? All the ones I see are like pastry brushes ! Also , although there is a plentiful supply of various tubed silicones I haven't come across any decorators caulk. Luckily I am having some Purdy brushes brought over from the uk .We get Dulux paint from Baumax . . expensive but you know what you are getting . David. Paint 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

BGBound wrote:
Where can you get good paint brushes here? All the ones I see are like pastry brushes ! Also , although there is a plentiful supply of various tubed silicones I haven't come across any decorators caulk. Luckily I am having some Purdy brushes brought over from the uk .We get Dulux paint from Baumax . . expensive but you know what you are getting . David. Paint 2581928987

Mr Brickloge and Pratika have all sorts of paint brushes and rollers etc.
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 am

Mr Brickloge and Pratika and any local decent DIY shop Paint 3367882216
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 am

[quote="
oddball"
Mr Brickloge and Pratika have all sorts of paint brushes and rollers etc.[/quote]

I prefer to use paint pads, but can't find them here in BG!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paint   Paint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paint

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1