AVG computer protection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

AVG computer protection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Why can i not download AVG protection on my computer. everytime i download the programme it says not protected and emails are not protected. spent all day on this and now geting fed up. AVG computer protection - Page 2 794030042 AVG computer protection - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:02 pm

the norton driver says, driver with removable storage. i bought the cd from techno polis. the 613 0 says no free space. i have not burnt the cd but quite willing to do so on a bonfire AVG computer protection - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome to Norton........... AVG computer protection - Page 2 794030042

613 MB will be the size of the files on the CD and it has also been 'Finalised' (closed) to stop anything further being written to it.

So we know or at least assume there should not be a problem with the CD, so the problem possibly still may be AVG blocking the install, if you already tried using windows 'Add or Remove' feature, then you may need to reinstall AVG then use the removal tool.
Especially Anti Vurus programs do not like being removed, just in case it's a virus trying to remove it.

How far into the install does it go before you get the failure message.
Or is there any other information you can supply.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

thanks for trying phil, its done a full scan and a reboot, each time i try to install it says systems service not installed, repair your install of windows, i dont know what that means. you really have to understand i am a complete novice at computer language. AVG computer protection - Page 2 2345823347
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Do you have the original windows disc?
or can you borrow one from anyone?

If you can, great, then what you need to do is to run what is called a System File Check. (it runs automatically so no problem and panic over)

Insert the disc, if or when the program opens just close it, then from the start menu find the RUN box and type in the following
sfc /scannow
note there is only one space, between the sfc and the / (forward slash)

Then sit, wait and follow any on-screen instructions.

What this does is to run a check of all your system files and makes sure they are all as they should be.
But TBH I have never come across the problem you are having even with the worst of computers.

And I'm sorry to hark on about it but have you run the removal tool?
Also what program did you have before trying to run AVG and did it work, if it did have you thought about going back and using that program?

And don't forget, having more than one AV program running at the same time can on occasions create even more problems than it cures because it thinks the other program doing a check is a virus program, so anyone with more than one AV 'INSTALLED' make sure only one is set as being active at any one time.

Sometime we need to go back to the start and start from scratch and see if that helps.

Edit slight text change:
Re, quotes removed from sfc /scannow
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 pm

i have recovery disc 1 &
2. had avast before avg, it was a free year that was running out, so i thought norton was a better option. why if its in a driver, can do a full scan, even reboot if it is not downloaded. AVG computer protection - Page 2 2345823347
:Hair:
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 6:01 pm

starlite wrote:
i have recovery disc 1 &
2. had avast before avg, it was a free year that was running out, so i thought norton was a better option. why if its in a driver, can do a full scan, even reboot if it is not downloaded. AVG computer protection - Page 2 2345823347
:Hair:
Good question and one I don't know the answer to.

Sorry but I don't think there is anything to do with not being 'downloaded' I think you are choosing the wrong word and that is causing some confusion as to what is actually happening.

Disc's 1 &
2 as you say may well be just be recovery disc's and not the actual windows install disc, so no help with the System File Check there, although you could still try it and see what happens, you can't do any harm and if windows has retained it's original install on the hard drive then it should also work, when asked to load the windows disc you could also try inserting either of the disc's you have and see if it will recognise either of them, if they are the wrong ones it will just tell you it's the wrong disc and you can just cancel the operation (which can also take some time)
Remember, you can't do any harm running the System File Check option:- sfc /scannow
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm

T
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm

i hate to raid on your parade but Norton is fine but it's a bit like AOL it takes over your PC and only allows downloads that the programme is listed for.I kicked Norton out some time back as it was it's Anti Virus protection that was causing me problems and was rejecting several downloads for no good reason i.e Flash Player.As for AVG if you try loading it down from CNET I think you will have more success as I have found this a better way because they have "
Mirror"
sites that you can choose to download from.Having said that you must ensure that you use one Anti Virus programme as you will cause a conflict on your PC which could cause you other problems.So if you are trying to load Norton with a CD ensure that before you do you have no other Ani Virus programme running on your PC.The way to do that is have a look by going to "
Start"
Then "
Control Panel"
and look at "
Add and Remove Programmes"
. When the programmes have loaded scroll down to see if you have any Anti Virus programmes listed.
Back to top Go down
mike&tanya
Senior user
Senior user
mike&tanya

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 pm

when i took my desk top computer into a local repair shop some time ago, the first thing they suggested was to remove norton, as in there words its far to complicated for the everyday use, as it as already stated "
it takes over your computer"
, So after fixing the problem they loaded the free avg which they said was more than enough for my needs, and so far I have had no problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AVG computer protection   AVG computer protection - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AVG computer protection

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2