View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Empty
PostSubject: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Guys

The Intrepid Travellers are nearly there... We have just stopped at Caiovo (Romania overnight) and setting our satnav for our new home it is sending us to Oryahovo for the border crossing (which would take us about 4 hours driving time tomorrow).

Has anyone used the border crossing as cannot find if it is a ferry/bridge and basically totally frazzled after 3 days of driving. We want to avoid Ruse if possible as it is doubling back on ourselves.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Weary Mr and Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Im not sure if your satnav will be the same , but once anywhere near the border when in Romania, the GPS ( TomTom ) sends me to Serbia by any way possible , it cant be convinced there is a better way,

No matter were we are along the border, even right by the other end of Bulgaria it trys to divert us back to Serbia to cross, the only way I find the ferry now is because i have marked it as a point of interest on either side

To get were you want you need to pick a route of places you know are in the right direction, not plan one trip , particularly in Bulgaria as it then sends you on absurd roads that nobody would travel on that usualy takes longer

looking on this site about Bulgarian borser crossings it doesnt list a crossing there at all
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... _-_Romania

Last edited by 1229 on Thu May 23, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Equinus wrote:
Hi Guys

The Intrepid Travellers are nearly there... We have just stopped at Caiovo (Romania overnight) and setting our satnav for our new home it is sending us to Oryahovo for the border crossing (which would take us about 4 hours driving time tomorrow).

Has anyone used the border crossing as cannot find if it is a ferry/bridge and basically totally frazzled after 3 days of driving. We want to avoid Ruse if possible as it is doubling back on ourselves.

Weary Mr and Mrs Eq

Wait I will contact and link Bgbazz and Phil-H to this post - Hopefully they maybe able to help you. Check back a little later g
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:05 pm

will666 wrote:
Im not sure if your satnav will be the same , but once anywhere near the border when in Romania, the GPS ( TomTom ) sends me to Serbia by any way possible , it cant be convinced there is a better way

No matter were we are along the border, even right by the other end of Bulgaria it trys to divert us back to Serbia to cross, the only way I find the ferry now is because i have marked it as a point of interest on either side

We have a Garmin (brought specifically for the trip) and has been no problem to date on the trip. It directs us down to Oryahovo (although the satnav calls it OREKHOVO) and then though Pleven.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm

I have a Garmin and have no problems. Enjoy the last stretch of the adventure.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Equinus wrote:
We have just stopped at Caiovo (Romania overnight)

I assume you mean Craiova?

If so, then I think the nearest crossing into BG from there would be at Calafat, which is straight down the E79 from where you are now.

This will drop you into Bulgaria at Vidin after a short crossing of the Danube on their open-topped ferry.

Failing that, you'll have to head across to Ruse.

Don't forget to buy your vignet when you land in Bulgaria and you'll need some 'leva' currency too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:33 pm

I agree with Chris on this one, but use your map for a while and turn the TomTom off, otherwise it will drive you crazy! I use both TomTom and Garmin and even though they both use the latest maps, the Garmin is the most reliable. Anyway guys, lets just get you here first...we can sort out the other stuff later. Any more hassles..just call.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:37 pm

bgbazz wrote:
I agree with Chris on this one, but use your map for a while and turn the TomTom off, otherwise it will drive you crazy! I use both TomTom and Garmin and even though they both use the latest maps, the Garmin is the most reliable. Anyway guys, lets just get you here first...we can sort out the other stuff later. Any more hassles..just call.
Chris wrote:
Equinus wrote:
We have just stopped at Caiovo (Romania overnight)

I assume you mean Craiova?

If so, then I think the nearest crossing into BG from there would be at Calafat, which is straight down the E79 from where you are now.

This will drop you into Bulgaria at Vidin after a short crossing of the Danube on their open-topped ferry.

Failing that, you'll have to head across to Ruse.

Don't forget to buy your vignet when you land in Bulgaria and you'll need some 'leva' currency too.

T T Guys what a team URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO 1536469901 g g
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Dave is asleep at the moment s I will point him in this direction when he wakes....probably tomorrow! T

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Mr and Mrs Eq,

have a good stretch, a good walk, a good meal and a good sleep..your new Bulgarian family is here, waiting. Tomorrow will be a new day which will bring new adventures and challenges to face..'twill be worth it in the end, especially when we all look back and laugh about it over a beer or other selected tipple...did I mention that I make a very drinkable Cab Sav?

Good night, pleasant dreams

Bazz
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user
Phil-H

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Equinus wrote:
Hi Guys

Weary Mr and Mrs Eq
I don't know if this is of any help.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Edit:
Bit of text and links added.

The Oryahovo is a ferry, with Oryahovo being on the Bulgaria side of the Danube.
With 'Bechet' being on the Romanian side.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 4:19 am

Many thanks everyone - Vidin it is.

Do not worry of you do not hear from us for a couple of days as we will not have internet access until we can get a dongle for the time being until we get internet package sorted out.

Mr &
Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:04 am

Best of luck and fingers crossed for a smooth move in!!!

URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO 1763269238
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:33 am

Equinus wrote:

Safe trip ... we'll see you back here once you're moved in and the internet is sorted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:51 am

Equinus wrote:

Do not worry of you do not hear from us for a couple of days as we will not have internet access until we can get a dongle for the time being until we get internet package sorted out.

Mr &
Mrs Eq

Good luck with the crossing and a safe journey to your new home, speak in a few days.

Eric and Annette
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO   URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

URGENT BORDER CROSSING - ORYAHOVO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next