Health insurance at Bulgaria border

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

Health insurance at Bulgaria border Empty
PostSubject: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm

What is the compulsary health insurace they make me pay on entering Bulgaria? , every time I go through the border....

I always thought that we were covered by the europen health card thing for Bulgaria for emergancy healthcare

Ive been back and forward about every 2 months and always just pay it , Im just wondering if it is compulsary?
Back to top Go down
http://www.my-bulgarian-house-renovation.com
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I really dont know what this is, i came through the border october and 2 weeks ago, as i had a vignnette i paid nothing coming through the border. c
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Will..have you never challenged this? Some years ago, driving from the UK via Serbia I was told at the Serbian border that I needed to pay 150 Euros for one months insurance, just to drive through their country..even though I had as much insurance cover possible at the time. I challenged them and indicated that I would turn around and avoid their country altogether because there was no way I was going to pay that amount. After a rather vigorous discussion..most of which they couldn't understand, due to my rather 'rich' Aussie accent,..an agreement was settled on. 5 Euros for insurance, but don't make an overnight stop anywhere..considering that it was actually 4.30am and the sky was turning grey, I found that amusing.
It took something like five and a half hours to get out of their precious country and thankfully back into Bulgaria..never to return.

My advice is...always question these obscure charges..politely of course.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 pm

This is something I have not heard about before. How much are we talking about? 150 euros for a day driving through a country is extortion when you have insurance anyway.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 pm

This is at the Vidin Calafat boat , Bulgaria side coming into Bulgaria and the paper says compulsary health insurance

Im only being charged small amounts per person in the car, but when asked how long we stay we say 2 days, they charge us between 5 and 30 lev per person per day, it varies! , usualy 30 to 80 Lev for the trip but a couple of times its been upto 150 lev , and one time it had to be in euros but only 40 euros , they seem to make it up

We get a typical scabby recipt, a dirty bit of paper with cyrilic writing on that translates into something like compulsary insurace for Bulgaria , they scribble one persons name on and number of days and the price

When we tried to drive past without paying a unifomed man with and orange table tennis bat jumped out and made us pay.

Its after customs, near were you pay the vignette just as you leave
Back to top Go down
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Will, it sounds like some corrupt scum bags topping up their wages. Can you not take another route.?
Ray Health insurance at Bulgaria border 794030042
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Im usualy going into Vidin to check on things there before driving on next day to near StaraZagora so its easiest that way, Ive been thinking of driving through Serbia next time , the new bridge might be better when its open ,

Even if i miss out Vidin on the way in the other bridge looks a lot further to get to the StaraZagora region
Back to top Go down
chrisbriggs
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:41 pm

will, don't know if its crossed your mind, but have you thought of contacting the Bulgarian embassy and raising the matter with them and maybe find out exactly what the conditions of entry into the country are. I would have thought however that as we are all in the EU your EHIC should be enough for your needs. Don't remember ever having to pay this sort of thing at Varna airport.
Ray Health insurance at Bulgaria border 794030042
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I would def report this to the authorities , as they are on a nice little earner...you could report it to the embassy yes..but I would be inclined to report it to the bulgarian authorities as they are now clamping down on these illegal perks at the boarders
Back to top Go down
will666
Senior user
Senior user
will666

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm

The next trip im planning on registering the car in the company name ( if i can work out how!.... ) , then Im thinking it may be better being a Bulgarian car they might not bother with stopping us
Back to top Go down
Sues

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am

We paid a fee on the Bulgarian side too but I'm sure it was only about 8 Euros and as it was our first visit we paid it but I'm not really sure we needed too. Can't remember if it covered us for 1 week or 1 month but fairly short term. My parents who had driven straight through as they missed the vignette point too did not pay at all and picked up a vignette later on.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:13 pm

I've travelled that route many times and never been stopped or asked for any payments for insurance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Health insurance at Bulgaria border   Health insurance at Bulgaria border Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Health insurance at Bulgaria border

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1