altText

Motorway Service

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 10:55 pm

We are just planning our drive over to BG in July using a route from the forum.
We are travelling via Eurotunnel to Calais , Belgium, Holland,Germany, Austria,Hungary,Romania and finally across the Danube to Ruse
then down to Pleven .
What I really need to know from those who have done the journey concerns the frequency ( or not ) of Motorway services en route
for stopping/rest breaks.
Will be towing a caravan and I really don't want to stray too far from the main route so would prefer to use the available service areas
as far as possible.

Will appreciate any info on this and anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks Motorway Service 2581928987 :Angel1:David and Brenda
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 am

The route you are planning is the exact route that I drove in my truck in 2011.Your OK for fuel so don't worry on that score as I had no problems.At all the border crossings there are places that you can park up and buy a Vignette for the road tax of that country you will drive through.The only thing I did do was to drive straight through Romania only stopping for fuel as I felt that the country was a bit iffy especially their police who are uniformed bandits.it took us three days with a couple of over night stops doing an average speed of 60mph and £300 worth of diesel but then my truck weighs three ton and has 2.5 liter engine so you can use that as a bench mark as you are towing a caravan.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 am

I would concur with Speedgunner, there are plenty of stop-offs, were i would disagree tho is his comments about Romania, i've travelled thro there many times and never had any issues, mind you i don't know what "
a bit iffy"
means, and as to the reference to the Bandit Police, you will of course be travelling along the main transit route, with many trucks amongst others, keep your speed to the legal limit thro the many villages and you should be ok. If your heading to Pleven wouldn't you consider another route, via Vidin for instance? As i previously mentioned i have driven to BG many times and as i'm heading to Burgas always used the Ruse crossing until we toured the north-west region (BG) on our return journey and crossed at Vidin, now i use that route all the time, crossing into Rumania at Mako then the roads are virtually deserted. If you decide to use Ruse plan your Romanian journey for the weekend, there are less lorries. See it as an adventure and you will enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 am

Thanks to you both for the reassuring information. I'm driving a Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 2.8 diesel and towing
a 4 berth caravan. So I reckon fuel will be moreorless around the figure you quoted Speedgunner.
Will look into the alternative final part of the journey to Pleven.......thanks for the tip Edna.

Can always rely on the forum "
Brains Trust "
to come up with the goods !! :Thank you:David and Brenda Motorway Service 2581928987 Motorway Service 1763269238
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 am

We have done this journey BGbound and must say we realy enjoyed it - There is stop point on the motorway all the way through, picnic areas too. There are hotels in every stop area but don't pick the first one as we did this and it worked out about £75 a night next night it was £30 so makes you go a little further into the village or area to get a better deal. You buy the tax in Hungary. The only other thing we were a little concerned about was when we left Hungary was the fuel - we had to travel a long way before the next call in and we had the big petrol can with us, when we eventually filled up we also filled the can, which was just as well as again there was another long run before we came to a petrol station. Speedgunner will have more info on all of the above he did it himself also Bulgariabill both re very experienced and will glady share their experiences with you.

The trip was really good, we missed the ring road in Romainia an went through Dune bought us right the way to Kalafati where we crossed in the barge thingy to Silistra. Dougie loved the drive I did the motorways driving but not going through the towns. s

Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm

WE've done the route lots of time and its very easy and straight forward. Being cheapskates we sleep in the car in the service station carpark as do many other europeans. I've been told a few horror stories by :Motorway Service 1931734156: of friends, but so far after 9yrs in various vehicles from cars to lorries, weve never had any problems. I would recommend staying in a hotel in romania if you decide to stop. We have stopped in the carparks and laybys there with the lorries and its safe enough but you do tend to get bothered by working girls. Same at the romanian end of hungary. Personal I prefer to go straight down the mountains in romainia and cross at calafat;
which should have the nice new bridge open by summer, because bulgarian roads are more pleasent and less hair raising than the romanian ones. And the distance is approximately the same. s
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 pm

we have done the same journey and other journeys and have never had a problem with stopping. With the camper we stop over in the TIR parking places pay and little and get a lot from the security service provided. You sleep with out any worry Have a good rest over in Hungary the last Service station with parking leave early in the morning and your next stop to sleep will be at the boarder of Bulgaria the guy in the fuel garage lets you sleep at the back and is happy to accomadate you. It's a lovely drive enjoy it.
Campsites all the way through if you are stopping over all are good. Just don't forget to change your lights when you get off of the ferrie or do it on the train across the channel it's a 5 min job and make sure you get your vinnette for hungary romania and Bulgaria.
Have a safe journey enjoy and remember never drive faster then your angels can fly Angel
Back to top Go down
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Great input on this thread that is greatly appreciated.
I was going to ask about the new bridge at Calafat ( Danube Bridge 2 ) and if it's
near completion yet.

If it's not then I think the Calafat - Vidin ferry will be our choice as it does seem a more direct
route for Pleven. And as already stated ......does get you into BG a bit sooner.
T from David and Brenda Motorway Service 2581928987 Motorway Service 1763269238
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Done that trip a load of times and never had any issues with finding services there are a terrific amount all the way just keep you tank filled up when you can, I also slept in my Paj on the services which I have to say are much better than any I have found in the uk. Good luck with your trip and don't worry its a great adventure and you will love it, try to share the driving if you can and that way you will get to enjoy it a little more. Motorway Service 1430720830
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
BGBound
Senior user
Senior user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Netsniperthefirst wrote:
Done that trip a load of times and never had any issues with finding services there are a terrific amount all the way just keep you tank filled up when you can, I also slept in my Paj on the services which I have to say are much better than any I have found in the uk. Good luck with your trip and don't worry its a great adventure and you will love it, try to share the driving if you can and that way you will get to enjoy it a little more. Motorway Service 1430720830

Thanks for the Good Luck wishes everyone............but won't be sharing the driving with Brenda.......definitely wouldn't enjoy it a little more !
:Thanks3:
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

The vidin bridge was finished to walk across in december and the paper reported at the time there was just a few bits to finish for it to be opened fully. So it should hopefully be open by time you come across. Keep an eye on novite.com its a newspaper site in english, but you can use it to search for things like the bridge opening.
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Last report was that it will be open fully in May 2013, i'm keeping an eye on it as it's my planned crossing point in July, its a shame the road isn't up to standard yet tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Motorway Service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorway Service   Motorway Service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motorway Service

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1