View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

People have been eating horse meat for years, perhaps not even knowing it. We have not heard of any death's as a result
There is one restaurant in Calais that sell nothing but horse meat meals and advertises such
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Tony , I would NOT dispute your post above if all a post , posted is in Capitals...but if its the odd word or two it has always been recognised on all forums i have been on that it is soley to emphersise those few words

so a directive please from Admin , so that we can all be clear on it , if this forum is not going to accept the normal practice
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 3356871870..totally agree with you on this.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:18 pm

willowsend wrote:
Quote :

I think we should all get one thing clear. THIS ISSUE IS ALL ABOUT TRADE DESCRIPTION, on the label, if it say's beef it should be beef not any percentage of horse. This isn't a new issue it must have been going on, perhaps for years and unwittingly we have probably all consumed it at some time and enjoyed it. As far as can be concluded nobody has died as a result of consuming it. How can the product suddenly become dangerous because the horses used may have been on bute, again none of us have died. I don't think this has much to do with what we have consumed in the past, it's to do with a Trade Description issue, profiteering and conning the customer, perhaps in many cases, not intentionally as far as the retailer is concerned c

This issue is not all about trade description - MEP's are saying there is no hygiene problem with the horse meat, how do they know that, up until a week ago they didn't know anything about the scandal. There is indeed phenybutozone used for horses and it can be harmful to some humans, we had five horses being treated with Bute at my stables out of 48 stabled horses. Then there are worms that live in horses, if never treated they run rife through the system of horses. To think that they only exist in the digestive and intestal system is a pure fantasy, when untreated the worms begin to make their way through arteries and start to cross from one artery to another, this makes the blood run in different routes to how they should go, but that doesn't appear to be a problem for many horses. When horses are mixed with donkeys the situation becomes even worse with worms being picked up by horses that have been in the donkeys system, the horses then have even more worms to contend with.

It is hoped that whoever is behind the mislabelling and the intent to pass off horse meat for beef are brought to justice and pay the price any government throws at them!!
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Scandal after scandal, NO ONE accountable, the government blaming the retailer and yet they have cut 700 Food Standard Agents and then expect us to accept that this isn't anything to do with the matter?? The government have exposed us to all sorts of health problems, no one can state categorically that the quality of these food chains are trustworthy,so, once again, they've been sleeping on the job. This scandal has been going on for 6 months and is being found across the board, how can even ONE Food Standard Agent not have known this? This was the case some years ago when the Bankers did their worse and the government wasn't anywhere to be seen in protecting our interests. Is there anyone out there within the establishment that can be TRUSTED? The answer is NO and we are the mugs!
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:37 pm

When one sees that the meat trail goes back and forth all over Europe, one cannot help but think that it is not done just to save money or confuse traceability, but more probably to cash-in on lots of repeat export-import-export-import subsidies etc. This was also the case back in 2007 with the Bird Flu contaminated Turkey. And what role does the road transport industry play in all of this. Why is it necessary to ship our food literally thousands of miles back and forth over Europe, especially with the current high cost of fuel? Is this another case of multiple subsidies being cashed-in? Is there so much money and strong industry lobbies involved that no politicians are willing to tackle this issue? It is once again the poor consumer and tax payer who pays the bill. If companies bought their meat from abattoirs and processing plants which process one animal only there would not be a problem. Those plants which process one species one day then another species the next will have an element of cross contamination because the machinery involved could never be cleaned well enough to evade DNA tests. If it is evident that a beef burger contains mostly horse then that would need investigating. With limited resources available due to cuts the government need to use those experts who understand how these processing plants operate. I am sure that any local butcher if asked would mince beef on request and then would probably use the same machine to mince lamb if requested by another customer. You can be sure that there would be evidence of cross contamination but no real harm to anyone.

I'm not saying I'm in the clear, but I'm now really grateful for how fussy I am. I wouldn't have eaten any of the low-grade products that have been affected by this so far, nor would I eat in any of the 'Chain' pubs like Brewers Fayre. It is worrying where this is going though. Who knows what else is affected? s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Blink wrote:
Scandal after scandal, NO ONE accountable, the government blaming the retailer and yet they have cut 700 Food Standard Agents and then expect us to accept that this isn't anything to do with the matter?? The government have exposed us to all sorts of health problems, no one can state categorically that the quality of these food chains are trustworthy,so, once again, they've been sleeping on the job. This scandal has been going on for 6 months and is being found across the board, how can even ONE Food Standard Agent not have known this? This was the case some years ago when the Bankers did their worse and the government wasn't anywhere to be seen in protecting our interests. Is there anyone out there within the establishment that can be TRUSTED? The answer is NO and we are the mugs!

Yes, you are right Blink - we are the mugs, we are the people who pay for our government to look after us and all they do is take chances with our health from being looked after in hospitals to what we eat which we have bought from supermarkets. The have cut the FSA and in their infinite wisdom acted in all naivsim towards the production of meat sold in the UK, they will doubt say that this has been a lesson learned and they will insure that it deosn't happen again. But in all honesty all that had to do was apply some commonsense, perhaps this was too much to ask!!
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Perhaps this whole scandal will result in more transparency about exactly what meat is being served. Unless suitably regulated, capitalism inevitably leads to corporations using any means to enable profit. Breaking laws, ethical standards and taboos only affect market behaviour if the penalties for doing so outweigh the benefits. We need to harness corporations to ensure that they serve society's purpose rather than vice-versa. Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 2581928987
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Itchy and Dav, I agree with what you say..but the first thing is to find someone, politician, CEO or otherwise, who actually gives a toss about what we think, say or eat. The real, caring versions of the above persons are very very thin on the ground, I assure you. Having their snouts in the trough is a much higher priority. Prove me wrong..go on, I dare you!!
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Why do 'poor' people in Italy, Spain or Switzerland, etc, cook from scratch with healthy but simple ingredients, whilst very many Brits seem somehow unable to do so? Why is it that in many countries, cooking from scratch is the normal thing to do, poor or middle-class? Why is it that only in the UK is cooking from scratch seen as middle-class? All kids are taught to cook basic dishes with simple quality ingredients in schools in the UK. Serious question - any answers? It seems the more TV programs on cooking there is on telly, the least people actually cook themselves? Perhaps we have to look back to history and 'blame' the early land enclosures that sent the peasants into towns very early on, and England's very early industrialisation - much earlier than the above mentioned countries, which remained much more rural until much later. Perhaps in England, the majority lost contact with food growing and raising such a long time ago, in industrial areas at least- and lost the close relationship between growing/raising and cooking? And as life was tough in towns for workers, cheap bought food became paramount for survival. What do you think? Again, serious question and certainly no criticism intended. The whole debacle is such a total mess - and it will take weeks and longer, and perhaps never, to find who this web of fraud and deceit was woven together. It does seem very easy and unfair to just blame 'Romania', that is for sure. Let's hope heads will roll, and not just the horses'. If it makes us think a bit more about what we eat, and how our lifestyle and choices impacts food quality - maybe a good thing.Given the complexity of the food chain, there really is only one point at which this could have been pulled off and that is close to home, at any other point in the chain the level of collusion required would almost certainly have lead to it's early disclosure.

Apologies for the long post.
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 7:13 pm

While I think you've got part of it right, I think part lies in the same old thing : Greedy rich people and corporations. In the end, they get you coming and going, and everywhere between. The sale of properly regulated horse meat that is labeled as such is one thing. The current fraud involves the unregulated processing of horses that may contain various banned chemicals and are passed off as beef. This is a completely different story and I don't think anyone would knowingly want to eat that.
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

I buy various items which have a label "
may contain traces of nuts"
, why not just have a similar label on processed meat products with a label "
may contain traces of Horse"
? You can choose whether to buy or not. Infact in some products "
could contain traces of meat"
maybe an exaggeration Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 3367882216
Back to top Go down
Edna Bira
Senior user
Senior user
Edna Bira

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 pm

bgbazz wrote:
Itchy and Dav, I agree with what you say..but the first thing is to find someone, politician, CEO or otherwise, who actually gives a toss about what we think, say or eat. The real, caring versions of the above persons are very very thin on the ground, I assure you. Having their snouts in the trough is a much higher priority. Prove me wrong..go on, I dare you!!

The human failing is that they are easily domesticated, the dog, goat, horse, oxon,chicken cow, sheep, cat etc etc found it much to their advantage, we have to be led and organised by other fellow men, we reap what we sow. Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 1675110159
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 pm

cheekychops wrote:
Why do 'poor' people in Italy, Spain or Switzerland, etc, cook from scratch with healthy but simple ingredients, whilst very many Brits seem somehow unable to do so? Why is it that in many countries, cooking from scratch is the normal thing to do, poor or middle-class? Why is it that only in the UK is cooking from scratch seen as middle-class? All kids are taught to cook basic dishes with simple quality ingredients in schools in the UK. Serious question - any answers? It seems the more TV programs on cooking there is on telly, the least people actually cook themselves? Perhaps we have to look back to history and 'blame' the early land enclosures that sent the peasants into towns very early on, and England's very early industrialisation - much earlier than the above mentioned countries, which remained much more rural until much later. Perhaps in England, the majority lost contact with food growing and raising such a long time ago, in industrial areas at least- and lost the close relationship between growing/raising and cooking? And as life was tough in towns for workers, cheap bought food became paramount for survival. What do you think? Again, serious question and certainly no criticism intended. The whole debacle is such a total mess - and it will take weeks and longer, and perhaps never, to find who this web of fraud and deceit was woven together. It does seem very easy and unfair to just blame 'Romania', that is for sure. Let's hope heads will roll, and not just the horses'. If it makes us think a bit more about what we eat, and how our lifestyle and choices impacts food quality - maybe a good thing.Given the complexity of the food chain, there really is only one point at which this could have been pulled off and that is close to home, at any other point in the chain the level of collusion required would almost certainly have lead to it's early disclosure.

Apologies for the long post.

I agree with your principles of cooking more wholesome food, because of not having the time in the UK people have taken to using easy meals over the years. With these latest scandals affecting buying meat products and the attitude of politicians telling us that there is nothing medically wrong with eating horse meat, I believe that the purchase of easy and instant meals is now gone and the British public will go back to more traditional ways of cooking from natural joints of meat and hopefully this will bring back the traditional butcher to the high streets throughout the UK. The big supermarkets will now have a tough time this year with predicting what people are going to eat, so tough for them and so it ought to be as some of the affected meat is sold under their own name.

Some people see nothing wrong with eating horse meat, but the majority of the British public feel that killing and a horse is abhorrent to their principles. Most of us would be vegetarians if we ever entered an abattoir, I haven't visited one myself and no intentions of doing so and enjoy eating meat, although I couldn't and wouldn't eat horse meat.
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 am

Just thought I would add a little light heartedness to this. s

Back to top Go down
chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 pm

OH Daisy thank you for the laugh we just love the photo Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 3356871870 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horsemeat scandal   Horsemeat scandal - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horsemeat scandal

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next