Internet connections in winter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

I don't know about anyone else on here, but I now keep watching for the yellow flashing light on my 'wireless' whenever I am online just to check I still am! Why? - because this winter the connection has been on and off on an almost daily basis, so whenever that little round thingy keeps going around I have a look to see if I am still online. My internet provider, who is a man on his own although he now also has a trainee, will get me back very quickly or else come to the village to check the connections. He came this morning and his car looked like it had been to the Arctic covered in icicles and snow. What a hero and I was back online in the 30 minutes he told me. I bet the big boys wouldn't be so obliging.
It is annoying to suddenly lose connection but looking up at the wires in the village I am not surprised. Many junctions are covered by plastic bottles of any description and I guess the weight of snow recently doesn't help.
One question I can't figure out - why when it says I am connected, does Google not google me to any website I need? Then it tells me that there is no connection..... but there is!!!! It says so. Is it because too many people are online? I have followed the 'diagnostics' box which says there is no problem with my computer and when I go into'' help'' it can't and tells me to ask a friend!!! The wonders of the internet. 'Much as I hate it I miss it when I don't have it. Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Good to hear that Tonyb60. You have to remember that independents only work in one area whereas Vivacom and the like are all over Bulgaria.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Agreed, but you have to admit that these 'litttle' guys blow the socks off the bigger dudes. We struggled along with the funny little dongle type thing (connected through a mobile) for almost two years because Global kept insisting that there was no demand in our area. Along came our little man with an offer (try me for a month and if you don't like it, there's no charge)..he now has just over 700 customers in the area of 'no demand' and he told me yesterday that his customer base grows at about 35 per month! He is being hassled by the 'big' guys on a regular basis..in fact he suspects that the cable theft might be something to do with them, but refuses to give in and sell the facility to them. For my 23 leva per month, I get good speeds at all times, good service at all times and an up front and personal provider who is passionate about his business...what more could I ask for?
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Totally agree Bgbazz. In fact I think that some of the goings on recently with the internet are from the 'big boys 'who are trying to sabotage my little man and I don't think he is actually selling out to them. Why would he with so many customers now? Of course, I know little about the technology of internet so maybe I'm being cynical again, but there was one time when my man said that someone was blocking our signal. He fixed it of course but it makes you wonder. Its only recently our village has had so many problems. How come Vivacom still will not provide broadband but only a dongle and no wireless when this man has provided us all for years now? It also means that we cannot have any of the packages that Vivacom keep sending with our phone bill???? I'm sticking to my little man. H
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm

We have a Vivacom dongle and it spends it's time more often downloading absolutely nothing with 0BPS showing on the system on my computer. We have a telephone system in our village with cables on posts all around the village, but after a rejig some years ago they cut our village off from the main network, so we can't use a modem. Vestel will set us up and hopefully get us going but no guarantee, only trouble is they want us to install a post 3 metres above our roof.

Does anyone know of a system that goes to a sattelite and comes back down to earth to a tracking ISP. There must a system somewhere that we can use that is better than Vivacom.

Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 794030042 Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 794030042
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

It's bad here at the moment the winds in the uk are really very strong and the internet has gone off 4 times to day along with the power .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet connections in winter.   Internet connections in winter. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Internet connections in winter.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2