Feral cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Feral cats Empty
PostSubject: Feral cats   Feral cats Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 am

I am a victim of my own kindness as I feed and have been feeding feral cats since I have been here in Bulgaria. I started off with feeding two one being a female who provided me with three off spring, two girls and a boy last May. Now Alfie who was one of the kittens who is the male is starting to get frisky which I find unusual in January as the girls won't even be in season yet.Since then I have taken on an orphan male kitten who turned up one morning filthy and hungry at feeding time and I didn't have the heart to turn him away.You see when I feed the cats I cannot refuse to feed other cats as I know that it's hard for them in the Winter.

Here is my problem as Spring is fast approaching and all hell is going to break loose and if I am not careful I will finish up doubling the numbers.Catching them and taking them to the vet is going to be impossible so I am wondering if there is a answer to preventing this kitten expolosion to come.Someone told me that there is a tablet that you can give to the females that will stop them coming into season. Does anyone have any ideas or know anything about this wonder tablet?
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Feral cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral cats   Feral cats Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:09 am

This might help explain. But if you can't catch them for a vet there is not much hope of giving them a tablet. Have you tried asking a rescue centre if they have a trap you can borrow?

Good luck with this, and good on you for thinking of the cats' welfare.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Feral cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral cats   Feral cats Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 am

Ah! thanks for that so there is a wonder tablet as I looked at the web site you provided!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Feral cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral cats   Feral cats Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I am like you Speedgunner and often have a few cat biscuits or dog biscuits in my pocket for any I see on my dog walking. I try not to make too much of a habit unless very snowy because in the past I did the same as you. Luckily they got so tame that I managed to get 4 of my 5 females to the vet for spaying. The other one had learnt what the cat basket was all about by this time. However, I never let the cats in the house so they lived in the barns. This was how an aunt of mine dealt with her brood of cats which she kept on her farm to keep rodents down. Feral cats are very good at hunting and many a time I have had a rat deposited on my doormat. The other thing is, we have to harden our hearts a lot out here because some of my Bulgarian friends think spaying is cruel. Nature takes care of many offspring because they are often weak because the mothers are probably not strong enough to give adequate milk. They tend not to have large litters for the same reason. I won't dwell on what some locals do to keep the population down although in Mindya they are largely a kindly lot and whilst meals might not be regular, they will put out any leftovers in the garden or by the rubbish bins. As for surviving the cold winters, I still see some of the feral cats I used to feed in our old property and they look very well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feral cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral cats   Feral cats Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feral cats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1