altText

What TV shall I go for

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

What TV shall I go for Empty
PostSubject: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 pm

We have decided that a new tv is need in our household, the one we have is going a little bit green so it is on it's way out. We will go for a 42"
black one. I thought it would be so easy to go buy one, ha must be joking. We went to town today and were asked if we wanted Plasma, LCD LED HD, what make and size, then there was the price to consider started from £349 to £1699 of course the sales assistant was pushing the £1000+ mark price range but hey it's only a telly for goodness sake.

So need to know about this one I have just seen on John Lewis website for £329 plasma 42"
and it has a 5 year gtd here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 40x1805230

It looks a fantastic buy, price, size and the guarantee and free delivery - so now wondering what am I missing?? What is wrong with it? What TV shall I go for 3135333095

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 pm

I suppose it depends how much you watch it. What TV shall I go for 2581928987
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 8:12 pm

davshaz wrote:
I suppose it depends how much you watch it. What TV shall I go for 2581928987

I don't have time to watch TV by Mr Oddy being retired loves his tv, but all said and done it's only a telly.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 am

It doesn't really matter whether it is Plasma or LCD to be honest and the size of the TV depends on the size of the room you are watching it in.It is always nice to have a HDMI connections as the continuity is better than a Scart connection which is a multipin connection. A USB port in the TV is handy as you can put a memory stick in with a movie or perhaps your photos to look at but make sure that on the menu there is the USB indicated on it as my friend has a USB port but cannot use it as there is nothing indicating it on the menu. As far as brands are concerned I prefer LG but Sony or Samsung are just as good as they use each others parts for manufacturing anyway.You will be offered 3D TV which will cost but not many programmes to watch with it and Wi Fi TV which is OK but if you have a PC or a laptop why bother? What TV shall I go for 794030042
Back to top Go down
bulgariabill
Super user
Super user
bulgariabill

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 am

Hi Berni
If you looked at the link, and went through he ratings, the comments and the reports, I think all your questions are answered??
6 reviews, from purchasers, all good, 4.8 out of 5 as a rating, and a 5yr guarantee,
It may seem too good to be true because they are coming to end of range??
more info here if it helps
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 466/review

TV becoming a throw away item these days like most technical eqpt
Bill
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Bernie

As Bill said, looking at the link, it seems to have all the features you would need at a decent price. Plus it gets a good review.

Go for it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Guys

I thought it was too good to be true especially after the day we had in town yesterday with all the sales people pushing for us to buy the over £1000 price range. Anyway re read it all again and have now ordered the one from John Lewis.

T all for your comments you have been FAB!!!! g

Oddy s

Right now it is time to start cutting and preparing the wrapping paper ready to cover the 100's of shoeboxes No rest for the wicket eh!!! ss s
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 am

oddball wrote:
No rest for the wicket eh!!!

I hope you mean 'no rest for the wicked' ... otherwise you've been watching too much cricket on that old telly! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Chris wrote:
oddball wrote:
No rest for the wicket eh!!!

I hope you mean 'no rest for the wicked' ... otherwise you've been watching too much cricket on that old telly! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OOPS!!!!!!!! Wicked it is What TV shall I go for 2345823347 What TV shall I go for 1865348797
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Would you believe it we got out new tv delivered on Thursday from John Lewis everything went well. Today we unpacked it and set it up. Plugged in the aerial and switched it on - it automatically went thought setting itself up - then it asked us to help the police by entering a pin number so they can trace the tv. I picked up the remote was about to put in a pin when everything went black - so thought I had run out of time hence waited but nothing happened although there was a kind of hot plastic smell but I assumed this was the newness of the tv . There was no lights on the tv so decided to switched off, unplugged, disconnected the aerial and start again only no light came on when I plugged everything back in so we thought perhaps the fuse has blown, we put a new 10amp fuse in but still nothing. Asked one of our neighbours to have a look and he too was baffled said it's the tv something blown inside. Great What TV shall I go for 3135333095 Good job our daughter did not come up yesterday to pick our old tv up otherwise we would have had none. What TV shall I go for 3135333095

I rang John Lewis and they were very helpful said they would arranged new one to be sent asap but because this product has to have two people to carry it he cannot schedule me in the dept will call me asap to organise the delivery.

So there you go off to a good start What TV shall I go for 2079180590
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 pm

oddball wrote:
Would you believe it we got out new tv delivered on Thursday from John Lewis everything went well. Today we unpacked it and set it up. Plugged in the aerial and switched it on - it automatically went thought setting itself up - then it asked us to help the police by entering a pin number so they can trace the tv. I picked up the remote was about to put in a pin when everything went black - so thought I had run out of time hence waited but nothing happened although there was a kind of hot plastic smell but I assumed this was the newness of the tv . There was no lights on the tv so decided to switched off, unplugged, disconnected the aerial and start again only no light came on when I plugged everything back in so we thought perhaps the fuse has blown, we put a new 10amp fuse in but still nothing. Asked one of our neighbours to have a look and he too was baffled said it's the tv something blown inside. Great What TV shall I go for 3135333095 Good job our daughter did not come up yesterday to pick our old tv up otherwise we would have had none. What TV shall I go for 3135333095

I rang John Lewis and they were very helpful said they would arranged new one to be sent asap but because this product has to have two people to carry it he cannot schedule me in the dept will call me asap to organise the delivery.

3 amp fuse should be big enough Bernie
Back to top Go down
Brian1
Senior user
Senior user
Brian1

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Quote :

3 amp fuse should be big enough Bernie

Surely that depends on the Average Power Consumption? and with these new sets the fuse rating can be much higher.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user
Andy

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Actually the manual also says 10 amp.

IMPORTANT: THE MOULDED MAINS PLUG
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TEXT CAREFULLY.
This TV is supplied with a moulded three pin mains plug for your safety and convenience.
A 10 amp fuse is fitted in this mains plug. Shall the fuse need to be replaced, please ensure that the replacement
fuse has a rating of 10 amps and that it is approved by ASTA or BSI to BS1362.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Andy wrote:
Actually the manual also says 10 amp.

IMPORTANT: THE MOULDED MAINS PLUG
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TEXT CAREFULLY.
This TV is supplied with a moulded three pin mains plug for your safety and convenience.
A 10 amp fuse is fitted in this mains plug. Shall the fuse need to be replaced, please ensure that the replacement
fuse has a rating of 10 amps and that it is approved by ASTA or BSI to BS1362.

Always follow the manufactures instructions as Andy quite rightly points out. I have now checked my 42 inch flat screen and it only takes a max of 224 Watts, which goes to prove that they are all different so Brain1 is also correct. :Great:But I doubt very much that these devices take 10 amps to run seems a high power rating but there you go. I thought TV's were energy efficient but obviously I was wrong. If the information plate on the back states anything less than 720 Watts then a 3 amp fuse is OK, better to be safe than sorry. A fuse is a thermal device so if it runs quite happily at 10 amps then it will take more than that to make it blow. But advice is free What TV shall I go for 1536469901
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
oddball wrote:

What TV shall I go for 3998065313 Well here we are 11 days down the line since I ring John Lewis to explain the new telly they delivered did not working - They said they would send a new one. Rang them again today as not received yet and they said they will deliver next Wed 23th Fab eh!! me thinks there will be a complaint logged for John Lewis What TV shall I go for 1675110159
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What TV shall I go for   What TV shall I go for Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What TV shall I go for

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Computing, Internet, Mobile phones, TV and Satellite-