View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

Bulgarian success stories Empty
PostSubject: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Have you got a success story or know of anybody who can share one with us all
I've got one, I took on the Bulgarian legal system and won, but I think that enough has been said and written in the past not to enlarge upon it
Another one that comes to mind is Berni and the Silistra Orphanage, perhaps she would like to tell us, why she and Dougie went to Bulgaria in the first place
The same applies to members like oldun, who from reading many of her interesting posts has a number of successful experiences, but what drove you to set up in Bulgaria in the first place is the question
Only positive responses please T
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 pm

:Good post:Yes, I have wondered what made people decide that they could live and try something positive to do in Bulgaria. Please don't start carping on about how awful it is in Britain because in fact, its not entirely and so much depends on where you live. I think what Willowsend is asking is for people to write about the more positive reasons for moving to Bulgaria and how successful they have been. Like Willowsend, we came for a postive reason to retire away from tourism and to integrate and help our village which accepted us as friends and part of the Community. I think we succeeded. How about you? I am especially thinking of Oddie who has tirelessly supported Silistra Orphanage and now others. What was the original plan?
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

oldun wrote:
Bulgarian success stories 3356871870 Yes, I have wondered what made people decide that they could live and try something positive to do in Bulgaria. Please don't start carping on about how awful it is in Britain because in fact, its not entirely and so much depends on where you live. I think what Willowsend is asking is for people to write about the more positive reasons for moving to Bulgaria and how successful they have been. Like Willowsend, we came for a postive reason to retire away from tourism and to integrate and help our village which accepted us as friends and part of the Community. I think we succeeded. How about you? I am especially thinking of Oddie who has tirelessly supported Silistra Orphanage and now others. What was the original plan?

I thought you would be a good leader of the gang and you have come up trumps yet again g
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:53 pm

I am trying Willow!!! Bulgarian success stories 1536469901
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 5:14 pm

Looking forward to this thread! g

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm

willowsend wrote:
Have you got a success story or know of anybody who can share one with us all
I've got one, I took on the Bulgarian legal system and won, but I think that enough has been said and written in the past not to enlarge upon it
Another one that comes to mind is Berni and the Silistra Orphanage, perhaps she would like to tell us, why she and Dougie went to Bulgaria in the first place
The same applies to members like oldun, who from reading many of her interesting posts has a number of successful experiences, but what drove you to set up in Bulgaria in the first place is the question
Only positive responses please T

:Good post:I agree with you Brian it would be good to hear from what must be one of the best success es in Bulagria. So Berni come on spill the beans. Bulgarian success stories 3367882216
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Bulgarian success stories 1675110159 Make yourself comfortable this could be a long one Bulgarian success stories 1865348797
We are Douglas &
Bernadette Leggett and we would like to tell you a little about ourselves and our involvement in the Dimcho Debelianov Orphanage in Silistra, Bulgaria. We currently live in Peterborough in the UK, two ordinary people working to pay the bills and enjoying a holiday when we can. We have been visiting Bulgaria now for a number of years and we just love the country, the people and their traditions. Most of all, we feel very passionate about the children in the Orphanages.

We started off bringing a few extra clothes and giving them to various people, to give to the needy and the orphanages. Then, in 2005, we bought a small house in Silistra, in the North-East of Bulgaria, which we renovated in order to spend our holidays there. We got to know our neighbours, the villagers, their families and, more importantly, we got to know about the Dimcho Debelianov Orphanage.

We decided that we would bring what we could to help the children ourselves. Dougie built a huge trailer with the intention of filling it with goods for the children and driving over. We had lots of help and collected goods from friends, family, work colleagues and Freecycle. The results were wonderful. Before we knew it, we had boxes and boxes to transport to Bulgaria. The trailer was almost finished when due to sudden illness, all our plans had to be changed, and the trip was delayed for 7 months.

We collected more than we could carry in a trailer, so we had to find another way of transporting the goods to Bulgaria, therefore, I contacted a Bulgarian transport company and they agreed to transport for just under £2,000. We had no other option but to pay for the transport of the goods - we had come this far and could not let the children down now.

Finally, the boxes were delivered to the children on the 20th October 2008, the most wonderful experience we have ever experienced. We were so happy, even through all the problems we had encountered, the setbacks, Dougie’s ill health, extra costs etc., we achieved our goal. It was just wonderful. The children were delighted and our donations made them so happy. We decided there and then that this is what we wanted to do, to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

We Dougie and I do everything ourselves regarding the requesting of items, collecting, sorting, packing, labeling, pallet-ting, although we get help with with the loading and unloading here in the UK and BG. We cover al the shoeboxes and fill every single shoebox with donated items or items we have shopped all year for from carboot sales, stores, sales donated or new/nearly new donated items. it's hard work and I also work full time in a stressful complaints call centre. So you see what started out as a few extra boxes of goods now developed into 27 cubic meters of goods sending every year. Since 2008 we have send 4 lorry loads of goods over. We started off with one orphanage The Dimcho Debelianov and now we have 3 orphanages, The Disability Centre, The Home for the Elderly, 3 Villages, the Doctors surgery and we have supplied two new wheelchairs to the Silistra hospital. We have also helped by sending boxes goods to 7 other orphanages in Bulgaria so yes, we have indeed come a long way. This year we will be taking on another establishment The Adult Disability Home 130 residents age 18 to 80+ just outside of Silistra. I am waiting for the details from the director. It is not easy getting information from any of the establishments, but we are getting there and of course getting know now so moving forward slowly.

Each year we hold a hold a Garden Party at the Dimcho. This Garden Party gets bigger and bigger each year and we are honored to have our very own Willow (Bryan as our photographer who is always there to support us)

We have had a fantastic year this year 2012. I did the usual, wrote to 100's of companies asking if they could help but this time it was for something massive - a holiday for our children, needless to say got lots of replies say sorry cannot help, or no replies at all. Than one hotel replied The Hotel Delta Beach in Sunny Beach and offered to take all the children and the guardians 12 adults on an all inclusive basis and for 2 whole weeks - Bulgarian success stories 3135333095 Well, as you can imagine this was just out of this world, were just blown away at this generous offer. I checked, double and trebled checked the terms and yes it was an all inclusive holiday for as many children and adults we needed to send. I asked the manager what made him chose us and he said 'because you asked - This has never been done in Bulgaria before and you inspired me to do a project so I have invited another 2 orphanages at the same time'. So all in all there were over 200 children at the hotel for their holidays. The children loved every single minute of this holiday and it looks like they may be going back again next year please God.

We have now found sponsors who supply all our packaging boxes Tee Kay Packaging P'boro and we have a storage company who collect and store our goods PC Howard Ltd Kings Cliff P'boro. Now this year we have a company who sponsors our transport LWM Consultants Ltd - so with the funds we save from ours sponsors on ourbulgariaforuum.com and donors plus our fundraising we could help with the holiday costs and buy trainers for all the children. Our organization is not about money, but about the essential everyday items we can obtain to make life a little more comfortable and normal for the children and other establishments. Although it took us almost the year to raise the transport funds, whatever was left over would buy anything that was needed urgently, underwear, trainers etc.

This year, only this last week we have completed yet another project, which was to raise funds to buy all new bunk beds for the Dimcho. This project was to last us till next year but with our facebook friends and forum friends and fundraising we completed this task and the children will have all new bunk beds before Christmas - now we are looking at supplying all the linen including pillows. duvets and covers not sure if we can do this yet, even if manage to get them we still have to send them over to Bulgaria - so I will need to plan this out.

Our next project for 2013 will be to try to have donated or buy new cycles for the two orphanages in Silsitra another big task but God and our supporters are good and I am sure we will achieve this goal too, we have a year to do this.

We can do so much to help the children, but naturally, we cannot do it alone. Chris, Bill and myself build us a wonderful website and through that and our Facebook and this forum we are spreading the word.... Not only are the people in the UK helping. We still have our very first Bulgarian company Nominal Accounting Ltd in Burgas. They have been with us for 4 years now and still continue to support us. Bulgaria is opening it's eyes to the needy now, which is fantastic news but we have to take one step at a time. Every year we see a new change and that is going in the right direction.

So there you have it our success story Dougie and I are very proud of what we do, it may not be a lot to most people but as long as we make a dream come true and see happy smiling faces from our children, than that that is all that matters we have achieved our goals too. Hopefully 2013 will be even bigger and better.

g s
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Wooooooooooooooooo, Pick the bones out of that then folks. The question I would like to ask you Berni, is which came first the chicken or the egg, in other words did you have your house first and then found the Orphanage or the other way round, and why did you choose Bulgaria in the first place.
As far as the Orphanage is concerned were you interested in it because you are from a large family and your love for your grand-children which made you appreciate that there were children out there who needed, help, love and a Mother hen, or was it all an accident and it just fell into place, in other words, it was meant to be
I am sorry to ask you these questions but I feel that you are an inspiration ably supported by your husband Dougie, and as the forum is so quiet at present I thought it would be good if you could enlighten us all as to what motivated you to be such an important contributor to the health, wealth and satisfaction of the Silistra Orphanage and it's fifty children
:Thank you:Berni and Dougie, Looking forward to your reply H
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:10 am

Congratulations on your success! It's nice to see people realize their dreams and passions. H
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 9:43 am

Oddie what a wonderful story. I am absolutely amazed at your achievement. I am humbled. H
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 11:34 am

What an amazing story Bernie, you and Dougie are an inspiration to those of us who might think there is nothing us ordinary people can do to help. Well done you and all those who help you, amazing.

Mrs Eq
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes indeed. More info Bernie - its so good to hear such a positive story when so many just whinge and do nothing to help others. I hope more people will realise how we can help (without interfering with Bulgarian ways) and follow Bernie's lead. Her story should be required reading and I hope many on the forum will read it.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 pm

oldun wrote:
Yes indeed. More info Bernie - its so good to hear such a positive story when so many just whinge and do nothing to help others. I hope more people will realise how we can help (without interfering with Bulgarian ways) and follow Bernie's lead. Her story should be required reading and I hope many on the forum will read it.
can I add to your post oldun, having read it, ask questions like what are the reasons behind your desire and willingness to do things in Bulgaria
No disrespect to other members on this or any other forum but Bernie and Dougie's involvement in their project must be one of the most successful stories ever shared on forums especially out of Bulgaria, so be nosy like me and ask any questions you think is relevant
Sorry Berni, but you asked for this, because your input is so positive and makes good reading in what one could describe as a negative world
Keep up the good work and :Thank you:for sharing it with us as you engage in a system of values and moral principles Bulgarian success stories 1536469901
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes Willowsend. I would like to know how you managed to get big companies involved? I believe I read somewhere that you got Tesco to help among others. Surely an ordinary member of the public would find this difficult if not impossible? You must have a gilded tongue! How do you manage to fit everything in? You moderate this forum as well and it must take a lot of computer time to contact everyone. Do you ever sleep?
Also, how did you manage to speak to those in charge of the institutions you support because I remember one children's home were very annoyed when a Bitish TV documentary was made about conditions there. Its all of interest so hope you can answer these questions in your busy life.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am

I should think she never sleeps and when she does she's planning. Bulgarian success stories 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulgarian success stories   Bulgarian success stories Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bulgarian success stories

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next