altText

Keeping a choice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Keeping a choice Empty
PostSubject: Keeping a choice   Keeping a choice Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Hello everyone. The worry of moving abroad lock stock and barrel is a daunting one. So many ponderables no matter how much research you do. The big question for all is 'Will we like it there?' Its great to have an adventure but it can be extremely costly and in many cases there will be no going back if you have sold up a house leading to sadness, boredom, stress and anxiety. Its so easy to overlook some of the warnings from people who have done it thinking that it 'won't happen to me..'
I thought I would stay in Bulgaria having found my little piece of heaven but a few nasty upsets made me rethink. As a retiree, finance was a huge problem. Having lived abroad for so many years with my hero, a house was out of the question and even renting would soon wipe out my savings. I could probably have been entitled to benefits but I, like many, would prefer not to go down this route and we all know that they are subsistence level anyway. After a life of work this would be a very depressing end in my twilight years.
I think I have found one solution and that is my caravan! I bought one last year to rent out until I had sold our house, but having changed my mind and am now staying in Bulgaria, I still have the choice should anything in life change again! We never know what will make the best laid plans change.
I returned recently to Britain to see family and stay in my caravan by the sea to really get the feel of life in the caravan, the site and the town. I am very pleased with my purchase, and the seaside town on the East coast which also seems to have a high level of retirees which means there is a huge choice of mobility and disability aids on sale in various shops. None of which, I need at the moment but I might in the future. Its things like this that none of us think about in our 50s (thank goodness) but life's goal posts move drastically in your 70s.
I have also upgraded to a very luxurious caravan which is more like a home and been allowed by my bank to take out an affordable loan which can be paid off slowly from the rental leaving me with capital in savings.
I can fully recommend Park Holidays who have sites around the country. I had endless cups of tea and long chats about pros and cons of this decision and I was surprised at the number of folk who live permanently in their vans except for one month in Jan/Feb. One couple I spoke to go to Spain for the month in another caravan! The complex gave a huge owner's party while I visited with a 1940s theme and I was amazed at the numbers attending. The buffet was wonderful as was the entertainment and we were all greeted with a champagne cocktail. Each table decorated with fake ration books and 1940 memorabilia. They must be doing good business in spite of the British weather. Not forgetting the cost of flights abroad now and the hassle of travel in general. There seems to be a big push for holidays at home nowadays in the press too.
Anyway, I just thought I would post this for anyone of limited means who think they have no choice about moving back should the need arise. Of course, you have to remember site fees to pay for the site upkeep, entertainment, pool etc and these vary depending on the site location but the cost is offset by rental which can be guaranteed and in any event, and is cheaper then renting a house these days. Also, although a bank would not give a mortgage for over 70s, they will loan for a caravan it being much cheaper!!!!
Think about it... s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Keeping a choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeping a choice   Keeping a choice Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 pm

The 1940s party on the Park Holidays complex caravan site.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Keeping a choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeping a choice   Keeping a choice Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 am

Hi I thought about this as I have house that I rent in Felixstowe as I tried to sell it but the housing crash of 2008 soon took care of that idea. I think your idea of a caravan is a good one as it crossed my mind on occassion and I looked into it but had no funds to do what you have done. In a way I'm glad I coulkdn't sell my house as it now gives me a good income from the rent and the rental market is bouyant. I have been lucky as the tennants I have are responsible and take good care of my house and the rent is paid in full every month so far.If I have to return to the UK I always have my house there to return to which is a comforting thought and by that time hopefully the housing market will have picked up and I can sell and buy a caravan and live in it just up the road from my property.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Keeping a choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeping a choice   Keeping a choice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeping a choice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1