View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Which is best for the winters in Bulgaria? We have never had a diesel car, but seem to remember years ago that diesel lorries (before cars were common) used to freeze up in minus weather.

One of our options might be a 4X4, another a van. I don't think there is much difference in the cost of running them now, with diesel being more expensive than petrol. It's reliability in extreme temperatures we are interested in, in case of emergencies.

Thanks in advance. (can you tell we know nothing about cars!)
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 5:31 am

You have asked the right question as Winter is on it's way. I arrived here last September for my first Winter and how I planned to spend the coldest Winter here for 45 years I don't know. I have a 4x4 Mitsibushi diesel and through last Winter it started after a couple of times, you have to remember to warm the glow plugs up a couple of times before starting.Diesel engines have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years so generaly speaking they are no harder to start than petrol engines as good diesel fuels have additives which stops the fuel from solidifying as it used to in the cold.Here in Bulgaria the diesel fuel is a bit cheaper than petrol at the moment but it can go the other way but all in all a diesel better for fuel economy and with a 4x4 it's a must.As as in all vehicles make sure your battery is up to scratch.

Here there are no brake down services as such like the AA or RAC and Canada where I lived was the same so be prepared and carry some survival gear like a mobile phone a warm blanket and a flask of tea or coffee and some chocolate bars plus a snow shovel of some description. Now this may sound silly but carry a candle and the reason for this is if you have no power to run your heater in extreme tempratures it will save your life as believe it or not it will stop you from freezing to death.The best advice is if the weather is not good then don't bother!
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 am

Speedgunner is quite right about the diesels these days. I have three of them over here and during the last winter they all started easily even when the temp was down around -25 degrees! You can expect much better fuel economy when compared to a petrol version in the same type of car and with the prices fluctuating the way they do, a canny driver fills up whenever the price is down. A diesel engine, if serviced properly, will last for many hundreds of thousands of miles more than a petrol or gas powered motor...I've driven Nissans and Toyotas in Australia, which have more than 600,000 miles on them and they are still going strong. As he said, a strong battery is the key to easy starting in the cold weather as are good glowplugs for preheating.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask on here or you can PM me if you wish.

Petrol or diesel? 3367882216
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:18 am

speedgunner wrote:
I have a 4x4 Mitsibushi diesel

We bought a diesel Misubishi Pajero. It's often been stood outside under 3 foot of snow and temperatures of minus 25 and it's still started with no problems!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
justbazz1

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

Pajeros are pretty good..especially the later ones. I have a Nissan Patrol and a Jeep Cherokee..both diesels fire up within a second of turning the key, regardless of the temp.
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 am

Chris wrote:
speedgunner wrote:
I have a 4x4 Mitsibushi diesel

We bought a diesel Misubishi Pajero. It's often been stood outside under 3 foot of snow and temperatures of minus 25 and it's still started with no problems!

Same for me I never had any problems with my Paj in Bulgaria sun or snow. For me the Pajero is the only 4x4 to have but I would say that H after owning one for 8 years without any problems from it. Nearly forgot it's diesel, it does help to put a drop of petrol in with your diesel when you fill up, I used to put a gallon to half a tank of diesel it stops the diesel freezing and keeps the injectors clean...
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
justbazz1

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 am

Not sure about this petrol bit, but I've had diesels for over 25 years and seen them come ahead in leaps and bounds during that time..the Japanese are the leaders by a long shot, closely followed by Peugeot with their HDI variants. That's not just my opinion, but one that is shared by the majority of members on the many motoring and 4wd forums and clubs I belong to.

Here in BG, I use OMV fuel during the winter months because their cold weather formula seems to be the best of the lot...smells a bit different to the others as well.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 am

bgbazz wrote:
Here in BG, I use OMV fuel during the winter months because their cold weather formula seems to be the best of the lot...smells a bit different to the others as well.

They probably do the same as Nets and throw a jug of petrol in it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
justbazz1

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

I hope not!
Back to top Go down
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 am

The petrol bit really does help, I also belong to 4x4 forums both in the uk and Russia and even in Russia they do this to stop the diesel freezing. but each to his own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
LisA
Super user
Super user
LisA

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 am

I agree with nets we have done this for years in the winter and it really does help stop the diesel from waxing. Here are the freezing points, give or take 1 or 2 degrees either way.I guess it would depend how exposed your fuel tank is and where you park the car i.e. exposed to wind chill etc.

Diesel 'Clouding' = 0 centigrade
Diesel 'Gelling' = -10 centigrade
Diesel 'Waxing' = -45 centigrade

Unleaded 95 RON petrol freezing point = -60 centigrade

And for fun [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jet fuel A1 freezing point = -47 centigrade
Jet fuel A freezing point = -40 centigrade
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 am

As he said..to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Carmen
Super user
Super user
Carmen

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 pm

In Germany it's the same in winter some people add a little petrol to the diesel to stop it freezing but also keeping the fuel tank full will help.
Back to top Go down
Equinus
Super user
Super user
Equinus

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks everyone. T Must admit I am not a fan of 4X4s generally, but they do have their place and rural Bulgaria is definitely one of them. We are fans of the Japanese cars, Toyota in particular, as we do not make decent reliable native cars, and since having a corolla and yaris we would not want to change brands now, they have been amazing.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 am

Your right that's the additive that is placed in with diesel as petrol does not freeze and adding it does it no harm. I use a chaep garage for my diesel in the Summer and use an outlet like OMV or Shell in the Winter as I know that they use a petrol additive for cold weather starting. In the army years ago on the Bedfords there was a tube behind the cab that you would place an Ethanol capsul which a device would pierce and inject it into the engine for starting in extreme tempratures which worked wonders!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Petrol or diesel? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Petrol or diesel?   Petrol or diesel? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Petrol or diesel?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next