Things that you need/should to remember

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Things that you need/should to remember Empty
PostSubject: Things that you need/should to remember   Things that you need/should to remember Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Things that you need to remember

You must always take your UK driving licence with you as it is illegal to drive without a valid licence. Your car insurance provides the minimum cover required but you should make sure you increase your cover and ask for a Green Card or International Motor Insurance Certificate.

Your Insurance documents and your Vehicle Registration document should be carried with you at all times whilst driving abroad. Speed limits are also something that you should check before travelling as these vary across Europe. It can be easy to forget that you may be driving on the right so you need to take extra care, especially at junctions and in city centres.

It is always a good idea to find out as much as you can about the driving conditions in the country you are visiting. Make sure that you have adequate breakdown cover for Europe but, at the same time, check that your car is serviced before you leave.

This will lessen the chance of a breakdown spoiling your holiday. If your car has Euro-Plates (number plates showing the GB Euro-symbol) you do not need to display the traditional GB sticker, but if you do not have Euro-Plates you will need to display the sticker. Failure to comply with this can result in an on-the-spot-fine. There are some countries outside the EU that still expect you to display the conventional sticker, so it is always wise to use one.

As most of Europe drives on the right, with the exception of the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta, you need to adjust your headlights. This is so the dipped beam does not dazzle oncoming cars. You can purchase headlight beam converter kits but it is advisable to check with your handbook in case the main dealer is required to make the adjustments.

The beam converters need to be removed upon your return to the UK. Most European countries also require you to have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, spare light bulbs and a warning triangle. These items may not be a legal requirement but they are always useful to keep in the boot. If your car is not equipped with a door or wing mirror on the left side it is recommended that you fit one to make driving on the right safer.

You should also check the speed limits in the countries you are travelling through as speeding fines can be heavy and are often on-the-spot. Should you be unlucky enough to become ill you can generally obtain medical treatment at a reduced cost with your EHIC card. You can find details of this from the Department of Health booklet. Health Advice for Travellers, which is available from the Post Office

The cover provided under these reciprocal schemes are not always comprehensive, the cost of bringing someone back to the UK in the event of illness would not be covered. Therefore, you should make sure that you take out adequate travel insurance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Things that you need/should to remember   Things that you need/should to remember Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

bobski wrote:
hi ashley, i would just like to add to you post.

if your drivein to BG from the UK , please dont forget to buy your vignette (road tax) if your drivein through Austria, Hungary, Romania...and of course Bulgaria you will need this or risk a fine.

these are cheap to buy, only several Euros.

most give you a sticker for your windscreen, if not make sure you get a receipt as proof of purchase.

ive been caught out in Romania, i tried to chance it in the early hours of the morning.

i got pulled by the police, they were ok though...they just told me to buy one before i got to Nadlac...and they phoned ahead to make sure i had brought the said vignette....which i had.

bobski.

Forgot about that
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things that you need/should to remember   Things that you need/should to remember Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Things that you need/should to remember

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1