altText

Bringing money into Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

Bringing money into Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:55 am

Hi folks,
I have read somewhere that the permitted amount to bring into Bulgaria is 10,000 euros but excuse my ignorance is this per person or group?
There are five of us coming to Bulgaria and four of us remaining so we will need a fair amount until we can sort the banking out.
Any advice appreciated.
Pug
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:05 am

its 10.000 each person g
Back to top Go down
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:58 am

Phew! thanks starlite, wouldn't like to end up in he cells in Hungary! : g
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Try not to carry too much cash with you, very dangerous territory. My advice is don't do it.

You can get cash out of an ATM which is handy as you get the currency used in the Country you are in, plus you can get as little or as much as is required.. Provided you have a recognized Visa card you can get Bulgarian currency out of any ATM here. Been doing it for years and is by far the safest option. If you need vast sums of money make arrangements to have it sent by swift to your Bulgarian bank account which is much safer than carrying it. g
Back to top Go down
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:50 pm

The problem is Tony, don't yet have a Bulgarian bank account. Our building society's advice is that when we get to Bulgaria to open an account and bank over the internet as they are only UK based. Will probably need help with that one as to be honest, not very adapt on computer. We need to bring an amount to have our heating installed and kitchen.
Will certainly take your very sound advice.
Pugs T
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Pugwash wrote:
The problem is Tony, don't yet have a Bulgarian bank account. Our building society's advice is that when we get to Bulgaria to open an account and bank over the internet as they are only UK based. Will probably need help with that one as to be honest, not very adapt on computer. We need to bring an amount to have our heating installed and kitchen.
Will certainly take your very sound advice.
Pugs T

Getting a BG Bank Account is easy peassy. There is one in Yambol who have staff that speak good English. No problem in pointing you in the right direction. I always use Internet Banking but not to transfer funds into any BG accounts. HSBC have an account (Advance) that does not charge for International withdrawls the account costs nearly 7 Pound for the first 3 months then 13 every month after that. But if you equate that to how much other banks charge for taking money out of the ATM's abroad you are quids in. You just need to have your main income paid into the account. I would advise that you keep a UK Bank account, then use the Visa card for day to day finance. Your max withdrawl here is 400 Lev per day. But 400 lev has a lot of buying power. I know your Building Society have given sound advice, but remember they are not a Bank. PM me if required.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 3:50 pm

due to my recent experience of having my atm card cloned, i will not use cards ever again. yesterday the bank cancelled all my cards forever. i will now transfer funds direct from uk to bulgaria for year to year living. there is a charge but i think its worth it. c
Back to top Go down
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Sorry to hear that starlite, there's always some unscrupulous folk around.
Pugs
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Totally agree with Tony Pugs, taking large amounts of money is too dangerous not only are you constantly worried you have this cash on you. you will not relax until it is in the safe. I took the money with us this time and it unnerved me all the way. It is a risk but as Tony said it is easy to open a personal bank account all you need is a little cash and you passport, then they can organise a bank transfer for you or you can contact your bank in the UK to transfer the rest over most it will cost is about £25 and allow a few days.

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes you are all right, we won't be taking a lot of money safest way. We had an appointment last week with an adviser at Nationwide building society and she told us the only way we would be able to transfer any large amount of money was by internet banking as they are not a bank and are UK based so that's our major problem but Tony has kindly offered his advice if we pm him and I can assure you we will be taking him up on his offer as we haven't a clue.
Pugs Bringing money into Bulgaria 794030042
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 6:47 am

Another option is to set up a trading facility with moneycorp. After the first transfer (which requires you to fax something back to them) - you can just use Skype to call them in England and arrange the transfer. I personally (and many others I have suggested them to) have found they offer the best exchange rate and only 15GBP for each transfer. They do not deal in Leva - so you would need a Euros account to transfer to. I personally would bring enough cash to live on for a couple of weeks, set a bank account up as soon as possible and use moneycorp for the transfer. A transfer usually takes just 3 working days with them.

You may also pm me if you want more details.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Pugwash
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for that Esta, that's a thought. It's a nightmare this relocating lark. Our house here is just going for completion now so will have to get our affairs in order, money being the most important, can't do much without it!
Cheers,
Pugs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bringing money into Bulgaria   Bringing money into Bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bringing money into Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1