More discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

More discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello everyone - for the last few days this forum seems to have died as far as discussions are concerned. It seems there have been quite a few new members but still nothing written worth talking about. Is no-one interested in life here or passing on information or debating a topic like residential status, need for solicitors, state of Bulgarian infrastructure, house buying problems or successes etc etc.? Maybe its been the nice weather but no-one spends all their time on one project do they??? Maybe they do, but if this forum is to be interesting there must be more to read and discuss than what is for sale.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:26 pm

oddball wrote:
Hello Guys just to say [size=150:1m0hxss1] I am never quiet More discussion - Page 2 1865348797 More discussion - Page 2 2381841692

oddy More discussion - Page 2 2706089290
I had noticed oddball More discussion - Page 2 1865348797 More discussion - Page 2 2706089290 g

View first unread post mike&
tanya,s Bulgarian adventures
1 ... 91011 by mike&
tanya » 15 Aug 2010 17:47 in Online journals
by oddball View the latest post
18 Aug 2012 12:41

View first unread post Secret Garden Tea fundraiser for Silistra Orphanage Attachment(s)
1 ... 456 by oddball » 22 Jul 2012 13:16 in What's on ???
18 Aug 2012 09:57

we have got a gold medal
1 ... 8910 by starlite » 01 Aug 2012 11:42 in Celebrations &
Commiserations
18 Aug 2012 08:27

View first unread post Projects for 2012 Attachment(s)
123 by oddball » 28 Nov 2011 00:18 in Silistra Orphanage
17 Aug 2012 22:51

View first unread post Nasa's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars Attachment(s)
by Admin » 06 Aug 2012 10:59 in Media ?
17 Aug 2012 22:47

View first unread post New Member
123 by ladush » 13 Aug 2012 10:03 in New member introductions
16 Aug 2012 14:10

Happy Birthday
by willowsend » 14 Aug 2012 23:13 in Celebrations &
Commiserations
15 Aug 2012 17:46
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm

I look in all the time.... I do find it hard to come up with topics that have not already been discussed. I think this may be a bit of the problem. People are often on more than one forum or in more than one group. Most advice people need is already somewhere and most topics to do with living in Bulgaria have already been discussed. I guess also winter is always going to be busier that the summer months - I have had my son at home since June so don't really get much time to post.....or he has taken over my laptop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm

I have to agree with Esta there is so much information already hear that unless someone asks a question it can be difficult and in the summer I like to get out as often as I can because the winter means I'm in more often. s
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 am

The Forum has been quiet for the past week or so and presumably most of us are preparing our properties and ourselves for the forthcoming Winter. Weather permitting, I am placing polystyrene on the walls outside our kitchen, they are the dry lined walls and last Winter the walls enabled untold amount of cold to enter and so polystyrene, webbing and plastering in the region of 15 metres in length and two and a half metres height is going on right now before it is too late. After that is finished we have an antique pechka to fit in the kitchen and this will be another learning curve for me.

Hopefully the kitchen will be a lot warmer this year!!

More discussion - Page 2 1675110159 More discussion - Page 2 1675110159
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Guys I have a question we need to do something with the balconly celling obviously the water from the top balcony is seepiing through and knockng the outside balconly celing plaster off we have big chunks missiing Picture below so you can see what I mean the top balcnly is the celiling on the first floor that is damaged.

I was wondering if we squared off the ceiling into sectiions could we patch it up with polystyrene stufff like the insulate the walls with , then skim would that work?
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:33 pm

oddball wrote:
Hi Guys I have a question we need to do something with the balconly celling obviously the water from the top balcony is seepiing through and knockng the outside balconly celing plaster off we have big chunks missiing Picture below so you can see what I mean the top balcnly is the celiling on the first floor that is damaged.

I was wondering if we squared off the ceiling into sectiions could we patch it up with polystyrene stufff like the insulate the walls with , then skim would that work?

Nice house Berni - you have a problem with capilary action from rain water and water will fall to it it's lowest level if you don't stop it!! So the water from the balcony just seeps over the side of the lower balcony because there isn't a lip on the edge to let it drop down onto the ground floor. The cheapest way is to cement a lip onto the balcony edge, but it might not be too pleasing to the eye. A single row of bricks could be made on the upper balcony on the edge with a few gutter holes to allow the water not to soak the landing upstairs. You could place a short pipe in each gutter hole so that the water went out onto the ground.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:03 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
oddball wrote:

Nice house Berni - you have a problem with capilary action from rain water and water will fall to it it's lowest level if you don't stop it!! So the water from the balcony just seeps over the side of the lower balcony because there isn't a lip on the edge to let it drop down onto the ground floor. The cheapest way is to cement a lip onto the balcony edge, but it might not be too pleasing to the eye. A single row of bricks could be made on the upper balcony on the edge with a few gutter holes to allow the water not to soak the landing upstairs. You could place a short pipe in each gutter hole so that the water went out onto the ground.

Thanks Itchy we will do that. Now how about the polystyrene stufff like the insulate the walls with , then skim would that work on the ceiling?
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi Berni
Have you not got to seal and make water tight the top side (floor) of the balcony before you start dealing with the underside (ceiling)
Also take into consideration as to what material you use with the hard winter around the corner
Hope you get it sorted More discussion - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:59 pm

The above picture after I have played with it is so we can all get a closer look at the problem. Oh dear copyrite infringement More discussion - Page 2 3998065313
See you have got a pet fox as well

Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 7:55 am

oddball wrote:
Thanks Itchy we will do that. Now how about the polystyrene stufff like the insulate the walls with , then skim would that work on the ceiling?

Once you have bricked up the edge on the top balcony and put short pipes to send the water out onto the ground the underside ceiling will be dry and will not cause a problem. Using the polystyrene on the balcony ceiling would not really achieve anything and would mean you spending money for nothing. I believe you would be best to rake the loose cement on the ceiling with a bolster chisel, cement in the gaps that have appeared from the rain upstairs. Then use the same plaster that is used to cover webbing, but it is also produced in white and not grey, using the white would give you a nice clean white ceiling which should never need painting. I have used that on the outside of our house and it looks OK, don't worry about making the plaster flat if you can't plaster, just give it a good covering best you can and it will give it the Mediterrean appearance and very pleasing to the eye,
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks Guys off into Silistra if and when the rain stops to find a water base sealant and cement and terrocaol - look for some guttering too.

More discussion - Page 2 1536469901 thanks again More discussion - Page 2 3367882216 Been raining here in Silistra none stop for 3 days I am told today is the las day of rain, Angel
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 am

We had a similar situation with our 'town' place last year, so I installed some guttering and downpipes. I also brushed on some some stone varnish (made especially for stone and concrete) and have had no problems ever since. I repaired the ugly cavities left by the fallen plaster with some tile adhesive..this stuff looks just like concrete when it sets and it sticks and stays put like you
wouldn't believe! I left it for a couple of weeks before painting it all with exterior white paint and it looks great..if you follow this method, just make sure you get materials suitable for exterior, sub zero weather. I got all I needed from Pracktika..total cost was less than 100 leva.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 10:35 am

H guys

Just an update on what happened with crumbling ceiling. Dougie plastered the ceiling with cement and netting and went over it again so it is all filled in now. Then he made a channel all along the balcony at the ceiling side so now there is a gap the water does not touch the ceiling - This appears to be working so far.. We will know more in the winter tie. So another job done . g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:34 pm

oddball wrote:
H guys

Just an update on what happened with crumbling ceiling. Dougie plastered the ceiling with cement and netting and went over it again so it is all filled in now. Then he made a channel all along the balcony at the ceiling side so now there is a gap the water does not touch the ceiling - This appears to be working so far.. We will know more in the winter tie. So another job done . g

Our BG houses need constant work done on them, maintenance by any former owner is always at a minimum or not done at all. So after we walk in and need an inside bathroom and toilet and not use the outside dunny work has to be done. Heating the house is also something us Brits like to do and not cook, eat, sleep and entertain all in the same room as the BG's like to do in the winter.

There are endless things that need doing after changing the house to our lifestye, I am still doing DIY after more than two years living here, it has been more than an education and has included learning new skills with things I have never attempted in the UK.

Not only Annette stands in amazement with some things I have done, I stand in amazement as well!!

g g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More discussion   More discussion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More discussion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2