altText
altText

Help with Bulgarian wedding music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BaRcOdE

Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello everyone.

I’m here to ask for some help.

I’m Portuguese and in our group of friends there’s a girl from Bulgaria that’s going to be married this summer. Since she’s going to marry here in Portugal her family is going to travel here and we want to surprise them all, and also the bride and groom (they don't suspect a thing) by singing and playing a few wedding songs from Bulgaria.

I was able to sing and play her favorite song in Bulgarian a couple years ago when she graduated (Az i Ti)    g  so I think I can manage this new challenge   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 1865348797

I’ve been googling a bit and it seems that music with Roma background might be a problem… Traditional themes in styles such as “pravo horo” and “lesno” seem a bit old-fashioned but still very interesting and beautiful themes. “Chalga” seems to be a bit “low-market” pop music…

So, what do you guys suggest knowing that they are from Varna? By the way, do you usually sing in churches during the wedding ceremony?

Thx all.

Last edited by 1627 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 am

АзСъмОтБългария wrote:
The best song for svatba(wedding) is maybe Nedeljko Bajic-Baja-Zapisano je u vremenu.Very good song! :)

hmmm - "
Zapisano je u vremenu"
, great song, АзСъмОтБългария! But it sounds as if "
he"
had to go and leave "
her"
in this song, lots of blood and tragedy, very Serbian. I really love it.
Back to top Go down
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

BaRcOdE, I don't know whether the lyrics have to deal with wedding or not. But one song I like to sing and that might be kind of classic without being "
folk"
at all is "
Сутрин рано вечер късно"
(Sutrin rano vecher kasno) from the "
Bulgarian Kelly family"
Тоника (Tonika). You'll find song and lyrics in internet. Maybe it's even a song from the young days of her parents?

Youtube clip with original video: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Youtube clip with better sound: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or maybe the Bulgarian version of Robert Burns "
Auld Lang Syne"
? Tonika's version is "
За старата любов"
(Za starata lyubov). But "
stara lyubov"
means "
old love"
, so you might be careful and check, if the lyrics fit here ;
)

Youtube (lyrics included): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another famous "
classic"
song played on guitar is the Bulgarian version of Omega's "
Gyöngyhajú lány"
(some might know it as "
White Dove"
with Scorpions) by Кристиян (Kristian) as "
Жълтите листа"
(Zhaltite lista). But again this means "
Yellow leaf"
. So it has to be checked, if the lyrics fit well here :)

Youtube: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BaRcOdE

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

Buk. wrote:
lots of blood and tragedy, very Serbian. I really love it.

too much violence for my taste... Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 3998065313 blood, tragedy, that guy up there with an AK47... Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 1865348797

let me use another strategy. what if I asked you all for just one song, "
the one song"
that comes to everybody's Bulgarian mind, but a song calm/tender/enigmatic ... just like in Enya´s style... what would be your fist pick?

That's what I'm looking for because we don't have the time to learn much more than that hehe.
Back to top Go down
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am

BaRcOdE wrote:
too much violence for my taste... Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 3998065313 blood, tragedy, that guy up there with an AK47... Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 1865348797

let me use another strategy. what if I asked you all for just one song, "
the one song"
that comes to everybody's Bulgarian mind, but a song calm/tender/enigmatic ... just like in Enya´s style... what would be your fist pick?

That's what I'm looking for because we don't have the time to learn much more than that hehe.
In German we say "
Herzblut"
. And many Serbian songs have got a lot of it. Probably I shouldn't have used "
blood"
in English, because you got it wrong. My fault. But there is no violence in the songs, АзСъмОтБългария recommended. The tragedy belongs to Bulgaria, as it belongs to every other country and life, too. And Enya puts something of this tragedy in each of her songs.

As АзСъмОтБългария already mentioned, the atmosphere usually changes during the evening. And it is your choice whether you want the people to dance, to laugh, or to cry to your song.
Back to top Go down
BaRcOdE

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Buk. wrote:
The tragedy belongs to Bulgaria, as it belongs to every other country and life, too. And Enya puts something of this tragedy in each of her songs.

you mean "
sorrow"
and "
melancholy"
? in Portugal we use the term "
saudade"
. It comes from the time of Portuguese Discoveries... the longing for home, family and friends. Ok I think I get it g

But isn't there a traditional folk theme that everyone identifies has being from Bulgaria? but not the national anthem Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

BaRcOdE wrote:
But isn't there a traditional folk theme that everyone identifies has being from Bulgaria? but not the national anthem Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 2381841692
To be honest, I still don't know exactly, what you are looking for. There are several folk themes, who are able to warm Bulgarian hearts. But the ones, I know, are less suitable for a wedding ceremony, I'm afraid. Some of them you find there: viewtopic.php?f=99&
t=5421

Maybe АзСъмОтБългария can help you. He offered you his knowledge and gave very good advices for a dancing song (Byala roza), for a modern semifolkloristic song (Zapisano je u vremenu) and about the changing preferences of the audience in the great evening. Possibly he can give you further hints when he knows for what kind of song you've decided.

Did I understand you well, you are searching for a traditional folk theme in a modern and soulful interpretion, that is popular with all young and old Bulgarian people?
Back to top Go down
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:26 pm

BaRcOdE wrote:
But isn't there a traditional folk theme that everyone identifies has being from Bulgaria? but not the national anthem
Or do you mean a song that stands for Bulgaria in all the rest of the world?

I'm not sure, but as far as I know Bulgarian music mainly is well known in the so called genre "
World music"
, you'll find such one, when you search for "
the mystery of Bulgarian voices"
e.g.. But this kind of music is very traditional (Elitsa Todorova tries to perform some more modern and is well known, but I don't like her style), and you are looking for some more modern, right?.

And in the last years Bulgarian Chalga crossed the borders, but since you already mentioned you don't want cheap turbo folk, nor too much Roma influences, songs like "
Черните очи"
(Chernite ochi) by Azis and Malina won't help youa a lot.

I think, I don't know such a tender and enigmatic traditional Bulgarian wedding fitting theme in modern music style that is well known in the world as being Bulgarian. I even don't know such one for Portugal either ;
)
Back to top Go down
BaRcOdE

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Buk. wrote:
I even don't know such one for Portugal either ;
)

I know a few of them. Nowadays only old people sing it but everyone knows them although they don't like to admit it. And that's a shame because in this "
modern"
world you need to forget things to make them look "
cool"
again a few years later... :) (now I'm being melancholic, but I'm the kind of guy to appreciate ALL kinds of music)

I think i have now more material than I'm able to select :)))) I need to make a very restrict selection (I have to pick one)

Again, I thank you all, and you too Buk. Oh, and also to that guy with the AK47 (sorry, I can't spell his name) hehe
Back to top Go down
Buk.
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 pm

BaRcOdE wrote:
I think i have now more material than I'm able to select :)))) I need to make a very restrict selection (I have to pick one)
I really cherish your intention, BaRcOdE, and it is you who'll gets all the efforts with it. Not only singing in Bulgarian, but even searching for a song and style that reaches all hearts and saves some of the rich treasure of Bulgarian culture - I'm sure you will do a great job! g

There are so many songs, I would like to recommend, but most of them are Western Bulgarian, Macedonian and even Serbian.
Not for guitar and wedding, but just for further inspiration I send you this last link of an old heritage that was put in some more modern shape:
Тамара &
Бабура &
Ал Фросе (Tamara &
Babura &
Al Frose): "
Со маки сум се родила"
(So maki sum se rodila):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have a nice experience and ceremony! Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 2581928987
Back to top Go down
АзСъмОтБългария
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm

That's not AK-47,it's an bulgarian made AK-74 from Zavod 10 (Завод 10),Kazanlak(Казанлък) Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 1536469901
Back to top Go down
АзСъмОтБългария
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm

If you want serbian wedding songs you can google this- Pesme za svadbu. If you want some key words from bulgarian,macedonian,serbian and even russian i can help Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 3023850720
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Bulgarian wedding music   Help with Bulgarian wedding music - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with Bulgarian wedding music

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2