AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

Winters here at last. - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 pm

Heavy Snow Freezes Transport in Western Europe

Air, road and railway transport across Western and Northern Europe has been disrupted by heavy snowfall and freezing cold.

Major European airports such as Edinburgh, London's Gatwick, Lyon-bron in France, and Geneva, were closed, and the flights to and from Germany's Frankfurt were also affected by the inclement weather. Air traffic in Spain was also disrupted.

The UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Poland have all been hit by the freezing cold. The snow and the cold also caused massive delays of trains and buses around the western and northern parts of the continent.

Eight men have been found frozen to death in Poland, with the temperatures dropping to -26 degrees Celsius.

At the same time, Northern Italy has seen downpours of rain and large-scale floods.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 am

Snow Brings Another Day of Travel Chaos in Europe

Heavy snow and sub-zero temperatures are set to cause another day of disruption on road and rail networks, and at airports across northern Europe, BBC reported.

Temperatures dropped to as low as -26C (-14.8F) in Poland, where eight people died of exposure. Five others died in central Europe and two in the UK.

London's Gatwick airport remains closed, while many flights have been cancelled in France and Germany.

Eurostar has meanwhile had to cancel half of its services on Thursday.

The freezing conditions will continue for days as the low-pressure front centred over Western Europe moves slowly eastward.

Widespread snowfall forced several airports, including Gatwick and Durham Tees Valley in England, Edinburgh and Dundee in Scotland, Geneva in Switzerland, and Lyon-Bron in France to close on Wednesday.

Geneva airport reopened on Thursday morning, but was advising that passengers arrive a full two hours before the departure time and use public transport to avoid traffic problems on the roads.

In the UK, Gatwick delayed opening until at least 0600 GMT on Friday, further stranding about 600 flights that were scheduled to leave on Wednesday.

The French civil aviation authority has asked airlines to cancel 25% of the flights due to depart from Paris Charles de Gaulle and 10% of the flights out of Paris Orly on Thursday in anticipation of further problems.

Europe's busiest airport, Heathrow, is also warning of disruption. Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna and Prague airports were affected on Wednesday.

It is also expected to be another day of delays and cancellations on rail services across Europe, and of widespread problems on roads.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Guess what :Winters here at last. - Page 28 3897195628: Winters here at last. - Page 28 2345823347 Winters here at last. - Page 28 3998065313

Yet another enquiry into why the UK cannot cope with the weather. Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042 Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042 Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042

Spend less money on talking shops, and more money on equipment and rock salt. Other Countries can do it so why is the UK so stupid Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
Guess what :Winters here at last. - Page 28 3897195628: Winters here at last. - Page 28 2345823347 Winters here at last. - Page 28 3998065313

Yet another enquiry into why the UK cannot cope with the weather. Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042 Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042 Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042

Spend less money on talking shops, and more money on equipment and rock salt. Other Countries can do it so why is the UK so stupid Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042

Your Quote tony:- Other Countries can do it so why is the UK so stupid.
Read Admins report below and you will see that other Countries in Western Europe must be just as stupid, or shall we say just unlucky. At least you have made it clear as to why you chose to move out of the UK, but at least we might have the last laugh yet :Very funny 2:when you get snowed in, probably around the end of January, but we can remain friends can't we Winters here at last. - Page 28 1536469901

quote Re: winters here at last.
by Admin ยป 01 Dec 2010 23:08

Heavy Snow Freezes Transport in Western Europe

Cars circulate under difficult conditions on a highway near Annecy, France, 01 December 2010, after a fall of some 50 cm of snow in the region.

Air, road and railway transport across Western and Northern Europe has been disrupted by heavy snowfall and freezing cold.
Major European airports such as Edinburgh, London's Gatwick, Lyon-bron in France, and Geneva, were closed, and the flights to and from Germany's Frankfurt were also affected by the inclement weather. Air traffic in Spain was also disrupted.

The UK, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Poland have all been hit by the freezing cold. The snow and the cold also caused massive delays of trains and buses around the western and northern parts of the continent.

Eight men have been found frozen to death in Poland, with the temperatures dropping to -26 degrees Celsius.

At the same time, Northern Italy has seen downpours of rain and large-scale floods.
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:30 pm

when you get snowed in, probably around the end of January, but we can remain friends can't we Winters here at last. - Page 28 1536469901

Hopefully we are all friends on this site. Winters here at last. - Page 28 1536469901

I think you are right it seems that this year a lot of Countries have been caught short :C: But just what is it with the UK :Snow window:As soon as there is a little bit of the white stuff and everything grinds to a halt. This is not just this year but every year, and every year there is an enquiry into how they can do better Winters here at last. - Page 28 927475117 One example of how they can improve is to learn from lessons from the past. Like in Bulgaria in winter you should have winter tyres and snow chains in the car in case of inclement weather. Lorries are often banned from night driving because of bad weather. In some ways this place is miles behind the rest of Europe but in some ways they are streets ahead. I like your comments (Bryan) about being snowed in, as it will happen. But over here we all muck in and get on with life. No sitting indoors waiting for the gritters to turn up. Last year we were snowed in for about 3 days so not that bad.

I can remember being stuck at home because BR could not run a service as no doubt so can most people. I have also been stuck on a train for over 9 hours without food drink or toilets so this grinding to a halt mularky is nothing new. Gatwick was shut last year, we got caught up in that one, because of snow but at the same time there was more snow over here.

Basically it comes down to incompetence. If business was to run like local councils, highways etc then every one would go broke Winters here at last. - Page 28 794030042

Enjoy the weather. It is still very warm here but when we come back to the UK we will be in for a shock. But then as you say there is January and February to come yet :C: :C: :C: :C:

Kind regards

Tony
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:19 pm

:Howdy:I love to have a go. Here is one for you in return
As you know we did not get our villa back until April this year. The final Dobrich District Court hearing was in January, my wife and I attended all four hearings
Friend's of our's allowed us to stay in their villa in Balgaravo free of charge. We were due to fly out of Varna on 24th Jan, we didn't the airport was closed for three days and managed to get out on the only flight via Sofia. I was the only car on the road between Balgaravo and Varna and when we to the airport we had a job to open the car doors as the snow was up to knee height
When we got on that plane we prayed to God that our wills and insurance were in tact because the runway was like an ice rink
My wife said are we safe to do this, I replied, the pilot and crew don't want to die so we are as safe as they are
Going back to the Village of Balgaravo, the snow was so deep, snow ploughs could not move it, JCB's with buckets were used
As we intended leaving the villa we had run down all our supplies, no electricity, no water, melted snow on the log fire to get water, but made sure it was pure white first Winters here at last. - Page 28 2706089290
Because of the situation we missed the Burn's night supper on the 25th Jan which we do every year (my other half is Scottish) Winters here at last. - Page 28 2079180590 Winters here at last. - Page 28 927475117
The moral of by little story is that Bulgaria came to a complete standstill just like most of the UK has now, so who is in the driving seat now, you Tony or me Winters here at last. - Page 28 3386807041 Winters here at last. - Page 28 739492727
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm loving this keep it going boys Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 570106603 Winters here at last. - Page 28 3356871870
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 pm

My wife said are we safe to do this, I replied, the pilot and crew don't want to die so we are as safe as they are

My wife says that every time we fly g

The moral of by little story is that Bulgaria came to a complete standstill just like most of the UK has now, so who is in the driving seat now, you Tony or me

No competition Bryan :Winters here at last. - Page 28 3897195628: Winters here at last. - Page 28 2345823347 Winters here at last. - Page 28 3998065313 it will always be a draw, but as you have ten more years experience in life than I do you must have more stories :Cool3:than I have :Roll laugh:
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I love to have a go

Come on Bryan if you are so brave put a Piccie in your Avatar, and not a silly one either. g

Plus you put the smiley crying after stating your wife was Scottish, come on man show her who is boss Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 There is only one boss in my house g you know the one that wears the trousers M&
S size 10 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Code Orange Raised for Extremely Chaotic Weather in Bulgaria

The national weather service in Bulgaria has raised a Code Orange warning for Friday with more high winds coming amid extreme temperature differences across the country.

Code Orange signifies "
dangerous weather"
and is second in degree of alert, behind Code Red ("
extremely dangerous"
). Friday Code Orange is set for the entire territory of Bulgaria.

South winds are expected to blast away throughout Southern and Eastern Bulgaria, reaching gusts with hurricane speed at higher elevations.

They will bring a new heatwave in those regions, with temperatures expected to reach 22-23 degrees Centigrade, highly unusual for the beginning of December.

However, the cold wave that has hit a large part of the rest of Europe will not leave Bulgaria behind and will actually affect the North-Western parts of the country, where highs will not exceed 4-6 C.

Forecasters at the National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences also warned of ice in the North-West.

Saturday meteorologists expect a quieting of southern winds, and an inflow of colder air from the North-West which will bring down rain. Highs will remain highly diverging across the country, Sunday rains are expected to stop and the sky to clear.

Thursday afternoon NIMH announced that 15 temperature records have been broken across the southern parts of the country, with temperature reaching 23 C in Haskovo and Ahtopol.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:02 pm

No competition Bryan it will always be a draw
Tony, You weren't my school teacher were you. ???? Winters here at last. - Page 28 3367882216 As I was an athlete in my younger day's he used to say to me
IF YOU CAN'T WIN, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOOSE, :Clap:so I suppose that is where you are coming from when you say it is a draw. I surrender :Truce:
As far as the Avatar is concerned, Im not as good looking as you (I assume you are the one on the left with a wicked sense of humour) Winters here at last. - Page 28 1865348797
so I don't want to lower the tone of this snowy forum :Snow window:
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Well Bryan you are sort of right. I was a Lecturer in Mechanical &
Electrical Engineering Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692 Winters here at last. - Page 28 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Suzee
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 pm

According to our local weather report here in the village we're expecting snow on sunday. Although the forecast could change by then - it often does.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I thought you might like to read this report Tony, :C:
Keeping you in the picture while you continue to sun-bathe in the Bulgarian Indian Summer s

WHAT HAPPENS IN OTHER UNPREDICTABLE WINTER COUNTRIES?
Of course, there are other countries in Europe that have variable winters.

Take Belgium. In Flanders particularly, the sudden cold snaps of recent years have caused problems.

"
Can you see the runway yet, captain?"
"
Last winter was disastrous. There was one night where an unexpected bout of heavy snow led to [massive] traffic tailbacks on the highways - especially in Flanders,"
says Yves Delepeleire, a journalist who works for the Flemish daily paper, De Standaard.

This led to criticism of Hilde Crevits, the Flemish minister responsible for transport, prompting the launch this year of a "
winter plan"

"
It's a set of measures to deal with snow problems and prevent the problems we have had before,"
says Delepeleire.

"
There are more gritters spreading salt overnight;
the police are guiding them through traffic and there is more communications between organisations to make sure the heavy snow doesn't bring everything to a standstill."

But not all cold weather problems have been solved by the plan.

"
Yesterday, it took me three hours to drive from Ghent to Brussels [a 35-45 minute journey], but we didn't see anything like France where truck drivers were forced to sleep in their cabs overnight."
Back to top Go down
cowshed-sarah
Super user
Super user
cowshed-sarah

PostSubject: Re: winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 pm

I see at the moment in Bulgaria your all having some very odd weather which I'm sure your all loving and why not s but what is it normally like this time of year I would be interested to know from all parts if possible
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winters here at last.   Winters here at last. - Page 28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winters here at last.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 28 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 49 ... 70  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The weather wherever you are ?-