Christmas, stay or go away?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

Christmas, stay or go away? Empty
PostSubject: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

Just wondered what the Forum members are planning to do this Christmas, stay or go away?

Here is a little about the Bulgarian Christmas traditions

Bulgarian Christmas traditions involve fasting, the singing of carols, special foods like kolak, as well as other practices historically a part of the holiday celebration. Bulgarian Christmas traditions closely follow what has been historically dictated by the Eastern Orthodox Church for proper religious observances. Fasting during Advent, as well as a symbolic Christmas Eve meal are two examples of how the Orthodox religion and the Christmas holiday are intertwined in Bulgaria during the winter season. Historically, fasting during the 40 days of Advent entailed abstaining from all animal products: meat, cheese, yoghurt, milk, and eggs. Times have changed enough that Bulgarians may substitute abstaining from animal products to more personal fasts from other activities they enjoy. Fasting ends on Christmas day, where, after an essentially vegan Christmas Eve meal, meat returns to the table (or people resume normal daily practices).
In addition, a common belief in Bulgaria is that Mary bore Christ on Christmas Eve, but only announced the birth the following day, on Christmas (which is celebrated December 25th). Folk tradition follows this belief – new mothers announce the birth of a new child to the world the day following the birth.
Christmas in Bulgaria is called Koleda. Koleduvane is an annual ritual wherein koledari (or young men of a village form a sort of Christmas committee) spread Christmas cheer around the village by dressing in costumes and singing songs. This tradition may be still practised to some extent in villages, although it is more difficult to reproduce in large cities. Regional Christmas traditions in Bulgaria vary slightly, but in some parts of Bulgaria, a piece of silver is inserted into a loaf of bread. This may also be done with a kolak, or ring-shaped cake, that is an almost essential part of the Christmas season. Good fortune is said to come to the person who finds the piece of silver. Other traditions are similar to those found in other parts of Eastern Europe, such as in the Baltic nations. A Yule log is sometimes lit, futures are told, and all work ceases on Christmas Eve after the proper preparations have been made.
Back to top Go down
pixi
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 am

Very interesting read nu2bg Christmas, stay or go away? 3356871870
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Here is some of the festivities here from Yambol on Christmas day in 2007 Christmas, stay or go away? 2581928987

Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm staying here. Thanks for information nu2bg. It's soo interesting but I wonder how much of this is still practised today? and how one could participate?
And dave thanks for the video's they are brilliant and it says so much about Bulgarian life and on Christmas day too . s
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Anyone had any experience? of Christmas with the neighbours
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 am

Christmas, stay or go away? 3356871870 Nu2bg T Also T to davshaz for the video film very interesting and look like a great time can be had by all. So I would say stay and enjoy :Christmas, stay or go away? 1931734156: s

Oddy
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks davshaz great video's . As for me |I'll be staying and celebrating our Christmas with the local people and trying to blend in here well at least I'm going to try that . I will be having some friends over on boxing day and I think that is likely to be a traditional English Christmas but I may try and add a little Bulgarian influence to it?
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 pm

we are here for christmas Christmas, stay or go away? 1231724242

the first christmas, we had only been in bulgaria for 3 weeks, knew nobody. our bulgarian neighbour came round christmas eve, speaks no english and said otreh. i said i think we may have been invited to their home, but im not sure. c .
sure enough, the neighbour came for us and off we went next door. such polite people, we were invited to sit down at the neatly laid table. we had a seven course meal with rakia Christmas, stay or go away? 405927828 how lovely. no talking, just smiles and laughter.

we thought, maybe time to leave when the family arrived, but no, they insisted we stay. we had to go through the whole seven courses again [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

what lovely people and what a lovely experience to share their christmas. s
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
sallyann

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:35 pm

I think we will definitely be spending Christmas here and I'm hoping to get an invite from the neighbors from what I've read it sounds as though it will be a great experience just hope we don't have to eat 14 courses like starlite Christmas, stay or go away? 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Looking forward to our 5th Christmas here - The first one in 2007 was a bit weird, it was always a big family occasion back in England, then there was just us...on our own. Plus we had only just managed to move into our house at the beginning of December (from the caravan!) so everything was a bit up in the air.

My mum and brother now usually come over to Bulgaria to spend the holidays with us, but this year we will be here, on our own, I will do a proper English Christmas dinner - and probably pop round to see some Bulgarian friends later - It will be a bit more relaxing than the usual house full, I will let others do the catering.

On the 27th we always go to "
Stoyan and Baba Vulca's"
(Our adoptive Bulgarian family) house for his name day celebrations. This for me is the best day - a great family atmosphere in excess of 30 people round the table - a proper Bulgarian doo. :Party2:
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 2:40 pm

We will definitely be staying here in our village. It will be quiet with just the two of us but we will have a roast with Christmas pud and cake. After 7 years and attending several parties I find its a bit of a strain struggling with the language and being in an etirely different culture wondering if I am doing and saying the right thing. Must be my age because I used to love it all including a couple of neighbours' parties. I guess its an age thing because all I seem to need now is peace and quiet. Or perhaps I am so happy in our new home that I don't want to go out. Still love Bulgaria and village life and my other half says all my ladies are asking after me and if I am alright so I suppose I should make at least one appearance. Hope everyone on the forum will enjoy their Bulgarian Christmas and if you are staying, you won't be at the mercy of the weather for travelling which can be a big worry if you are going back to Blighty. s
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 pm

oldun wrote:
We will definitely be staying here in our village. It will be quiet with just the two of us but we will have a roast with Christmas pud and cake. After 7 years and attending several parties I find its a bit of a strain struggling with the language and being in an etirely different culture wondering if I am doing and saying the right thing. Must be my age because I used to love it all including a couple of neighbours' parties. I guess its an age thing because all I seem to need now is peace and quiet. Or perhaps I am so happy in our new home that I don't want to go out. Still love Bulgaria and village life and my other half says all my ladies are asking after me and if I am alright so I suppose I should make at least one appearance. Hope everyone on the forum will enjoy their Bulgarian Christmas and if you are staying, you won't be at the mercy of the weather for travelling which can be a big worry if you are going back to Blighty. s

Ok Oldun forget the quire Christmas we are coming to yours g

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas, stay or go away?   Christmas, stay or go away? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas, stay or go away?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1