HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

remember ,remember the 5th of November !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Empty
PostSubject: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

anyone in Bg celebrating bonfire night ..with or without friends ???

we used to ..but all our crowd has returned to Uk ...so dont expect I,l bother...how about yourselves ?
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 am

Ah good old Guy Fawkes who would probably love all the shenanigins worldwide complaining about governments! Personally I stopped celebrating the night when the kids all grew up but I can remember the super times we had. Probably the very best was when we gave a street party with 'bangers' of the sausage variety and soup to everyone plus the bonfire and firework display of course. It was held on some land we had rented to start a small market garden before we started trading. Other years we used to troupe out to a local playing field for organised celebrations with a huge bonfire and wonderful fireworks.
The only adult party we attended was at a friend's house and it was the funniest night ever although it could have been very dangerous indeed when a rocket fell over in its bottle and took off all around the garden! It was so funny but not to be recommended!!!! remember ,remember the 5th of November ! 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

As a child Bonfire night meant that for me, and other local children, it was a magical time of the year. Back then, the streets where I lived, had two bomb sites left over from the 2nd World War were perfect for our huge street bonfires. Many families still had their own small bonfires in their postage stamp sized gardens. Local parks also built huge organised fires and had free firework displays. Money was tight back then and my Dad, like many others, would gradually buy our fireworks over a period of time. These would be stored in a metal biscuit tin for safety. Then Dad, following all the safety precautions, would light these little treasures, one at a time. By today's standards our celebrations were meagre but we loved them. Some children would build a Guy to be thrown onto the fire. This would usually be some sort of stuffed effigy dressed in a collection of old clothes. Some kids would stand outside of public houses and at the end of streets, asking "
Penny For The Guy"
. What fun though. Of course the streets were safer 50 years ago. The street bonfires would be built high with unwanted furniture, wood and the like. A Guy, that is an effigy of Mr Fawkes, would be set on the top. Usually he was sat in someone's old chair that they no longer wanted. The fire would be lit and the fireworks set off.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Ah yes Blink - my children used to make the guy by filling a sack with cleared fallen leaves from the street trees and then go around asking for a 'penny for the guy'. How times have changed and how unsafe the streets seem to be nowadays. How sad that the village 'Bobby' has gone and health and safety taken his place to little effect except to spoil the fun. No personal responsibility for safety and too many insurance claims. I guess I have joined the ranks of those saying how good the old days were but I really don't think that 'progress' is all its cracked up to be. Maybe young people disagree because they only know the 'now'.
Anyway, to anyone still celebrating Nov. 5th - have a good one. s
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh the memories. In the old days it would be a few fireworks at home in the back garden but the highlite would be Jacket spuds cooked in the embers dripping with butter, hot soup out of a mug as well.

Then when we had our own children it would be much the same but with a BBQ and yes Jacket Spuds and soup, some traditions you just cannot give up. :Fireworks:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: remember ,remember the 5th of November !   remember ,remember the 5th of November ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

remember ,remember the 5th of November !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1