altText

British plates and insurance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

British plates and insurance Empty
PostSubject: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Does anyone know how long can I drive my vehicle in Bulgaria on my British plates and insurance when I first arrive in Bulgaria?

T

Speedgunner
Back to top Go down
beautifulangel
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm

i'm told you have a year to change your plates over but im not sure as far as your insurance goes ours has to be changed 90 days after we leave england perminently for our minibus and my horsebox insurance is void the minute i no longer have an english address so probably best to check your policy. British plates and insurance 3386807041
Back to top Go down
http://beautifulangel-movingtobulgaria.blogspot.com/
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks bit of a grey area as I am told that as Bulgaria is Europeon your insurance covers third party only and you can drive on that. Who am I to arguer :British plates and insurance 3897195628:
Back to top Go down
Alfie
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Legally, within 6 months of entering the country, the car should be registered in BG. Your UK insurers may well have a clause which makes the validity of your insurance much shorter than this period.
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 pm

T
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 pm

We have bought over 2 cars.

The first car we bought over was insured by Tesco and to be honest the staff on their help line told me so many different things during different conversations i was completely confused, I was told first that I was covered third party until the end of my policy by one and then by another person that I was only covered (third party) for 90 days and only if I planned to return it to the UK. In another conversation I was told 90 days but that it did not matter if I drove it back to the UK or not. I also phoned the Bulgarian Embassy in London, they weren't much help either. Although at this time you could still get Bulgarian 3rd party cover on a UK registered car.

I would suggest driving over, finding a translator and get it tested, registered and insured here in Bulgaria ASAP - which is what we did with the second car we drove over. We all know that insurance companies will try to wriggle out of anything.

Or take a few days out to read their policy small print...chances are you still will not be any the wiser!!!!

Good Luck with the journey!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Bit of a night mare In think! I have a Green card to cover me for a week which gives me fully comprehensive cover to get over to Bulgaria and then you know the rest! Ta anyway
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm

in any eu country you can have gb plates for 6 months, as for insurance, well that depends, many insurance companies will insure you for travel in eu countries if you are on holiday, but if moving to another country, that is different. you need to check this out with your insurance company as many will not cover you, mine would not. British plates and insurance 927475117
Back to top Go down
speedgunner
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for info T
Back to top Go down
Farhaad

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm

I keep an x5 there and has been only recently switched over, I know that registering a rhd vehicle is dependant on the "
oblast"
however in pernik I had no issues, cost me 400 lev, my uk insurer gave me 90 days but ended up getting insured in bg once my plates where switched over, you do not normally need the Green card in the eu, unless on the trip over you decide to go via Serbia, in which case finding a uk insurser who will insure you ti drive through Serbia is like trying ti find a virgin in a brothel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British plates and insurance   British plates and insurance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

British plates and insurance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1