What can you Remember from the Past

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

What can you Remember from the Past Empty
PostSubject: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

Something light hearted :What can you Remember from the Past 3897195628: What can you Remember from the Past 2345823347 What can you Remember from the Past 3998065313 . In one of my day dreaming moments I suddenly thought of my days at the GPO and some of the things that were around in those days like:-

Izal Toilet Rolls
Green soap with bits in.
Carbolic soap
Swarfega

Can you add to the list?
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 12:20 pm

soap on a rope [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 1:00 pm

tonyb60 wrote:
Something light hearted :What can you Remember from the Past 3897195628: What can you Remember from the Past 2345823347 What can you Remember from the Past 3998065313 . In one of my day dreaming moments I suddenly thought of my days at the GPO and some of the things that were around in those days like:-

Izal Toilet Rolls

Can you add to the list?

At my Grandmothers I can remember neat torn off squares of the News of the World stuck on a nail on the back of the toilet door, always left the toilet "
with a black outlook on life!!"
Izal toilet rolls were a luxury used only on special occasions!!

Shan't say any more at the moment, beginning to show my age!!!

s s

Last edited by 778 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 1:43 pm

The Archers with Walter Gabriel in it (mind still listen to it today)
Having the oven door open to warm the kitchen
spoonful of malt each morning and a dose of syrup a figs on the weekend
Libbybodice with 3 rubber buttons on the shoulders
Black knickers that were huge
School uniform bought to grow into
Black and white TV
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 pm

The early years after the Second World War were strange times for all us and my mother would hand me a dessert spoon filled to the top with cod liver oil and I used to drink it and lick the spoon clean and gave the spoon back to her and never really thought any more about it. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered that not everyone liked cod liver oil and it was like Marmite, you either liked it or hated it.

So whilst working in the printing trade in the 70's, I had bought some cod liver oil capsules because I felt under the weather and a work colleague called John saw me open the tin and asked "
what have you got there"
and replied that he also felt under the weather and asked if he could have two to take, I of course gave him two capsules. He then asked "
how do you take them"
and I replied "
I just chew them"
and he said "
OK"
and went off to his work frame. Several minutes later I saw this blue flash of a jumper with legs underneath disappear at great speed into the "
Gents"
and I didn't think any more about it until John remerged. I believe that the cod liver oil capsules had made him confused and he truly thought he was in the "
Working Man's Club"
because I clearly heard him shout "
Bar Steward?"

s s s s s
Back to top Go down
tivoliend
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am

Hair, size 34"
trousers and not grunting when lifting heavy objects.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:38 pm

The old tin bath and the sunlight washing soap - the smell was fantastic! H
Back to top Go down
berylc

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 5:04 pm

My mom going through my hair every Sunday with the nit comb and using a pudding basin to cut round when hair was getting too long. We all had same hair style regardless if you were boy or girl What can you Remember from the Past 3135333095
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am

I started my official working days at the GPO as well Tony...oh boy, what stories one could tell that went on at the Exchange .....

as to what was around in those days , the main thing that comes to mind is , no fear when us kids went off playing out all day and the friendliness and dependensy of our neighbours......!!
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 am

Can I please add to this topic the following:-
NAME THE 24 PRODUCTS ADVERTISED ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF INDEPENDENT TELEVISION
and which of these was the very first product (drawn by lots) to be seen What can you Remember from the Past 2706089290
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:29 am

toothpaste...."
the ring of confidence "
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 am

varnagirl wrote:
I started my official working days at the GPO as well Tony...oh boy, what stories one could tell that went on at the Exchange .....

as to what was around in those days , the main thing that comes to mind is , no fear when us kids went off playing out all day and the friendliness and dependensy of our neighbours......!!

Agreed g
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 pm

who remembers the tressy doll ( her hair grows ) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jumping crackers on bonfire night ( dangerous they were )
toasting bread with a big fork on grandmas open fire.
tigers tails from the esso garage. g H
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

The iron bath hanging on the wall - horrible things!! s s s
Back to top Go down
pixi
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 pm

liquorice stick and liquorice root, which was a brown colour, and we used to get 8 wafers what you get with ice cream for a penny. The liquorice stick was black.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can you Remember from the Past   What can you Remember from the Past Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can you Remember from the Past

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next