Let's hear it for Bulgaria!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

After my rather depressing (though important) topic on bullying, I thought it would be good to redress the balance for people like Fruitlover who maybe thinking of coming to Bulgaria to live. What would you like to say that you love about your life here? All the positives please.
I love the peace and quiet of our village, the villagers, the local shop and bars we use, my choir lady friends, the support network if we have a problem. The weather is good on the whole, cold winters, hot summers and changeable Spring and Autumn. I love walking the dog down all the tracks around our village and down by the river. Always something to see and at this time of the year, so many sweet smells from trees and shrubs and villagers' gardens. These walks always lift my spirits on the occasional 'down day'. Never down for long and to sit in my garden with all my pots of flowers and the dog and cats around me is bliss.
We are near the big historic town of Veliko Turnovo which I visit about once a week using the village bus which is a microcosm of village life! I only use the central area where I have all the shops I need although I have done the tourist beat visiting the wonderful old area and Tzaravetz castle which is an absolute must plus the Sound and Light which is on during the summer months. I am recognised by many of the shop assistants and taxi drivers, who I sometimes use when I have a load of shopping. They make me feel so much part of life here when they all want my business.
I love the Name days and festivals and of course our village big event of the year - Mindya Rockfest August 26 and 27 which is now in its 3rd year and will include a Retro Car and Bike parade from VT.
There must be loads more I could write about, but lets hear what others have to say. s s
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 am

Esta wrote:
Thank you fruitlover for reminding me about this thread, I have been a bit pre-occupied of late :oops:

First and foremost I like (most!!) Bulgarians. We were completely accepted on day one of arriving in our village. We only knew a few words back then but it just did not matter. Within the first week I think we ate “out” nearly every night. We have “adopted Bulgarian parents” who are “grandparents” to my son. I knew more people in my Bulgarian village after 6 months, speaking very little of the language, than my old village in Lincolnshire, where I lived for 12 years. I have heard of people who say they feel like walking money bags – I personally have not had this experience, I am not just talking about our village (where we are well known) – I am also talking about the shops we buy from, the restaurants we go to, the material suppliers we have used since the day we arrived.

I like the outdoor life style, everyone not getting home from work and shutting themselves away for the evening.

I like the fact my son can come home from kindergarten and jump in the pop-up pool we have for a half hour to cool off.

I like that we can get to the coast, Burgas, (or wherever), without spending half the journey in traffic jams, and can find somewhere to park at the end of it.

I like that you don’t have to spend a fortune when at the coast – on junk food and drinks.

I like the bright but bitterly cold winter days – we get wrapped up warm and go for a walk.

I don’t even mind getting snowed in the village – just can’t be helped – we always find something to do or someone to go and visit.

I like that we, as a family, can go to a restaurant for a meal in the evening – children are so much more accepted here, and are allowed to socialize with the grownups – not left at home with a sitter.

I like that I dare walk round a city centre at night without the worry of a drunken fight breaking out or being mugged.

I like that I can walk past a group of youths without feeling intimidated.

I like the respect that most children and teenagers still have for the police and adults.

I like sitting on my balcony and listening to the village sounds - or looking at the stars.

I like that I meet so many different people now, not just sat at my 9-5 job the same old thing day in day out.

I am sure I have missed loads off ………

g
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 am

What a lovely read Esta. It sounds so perfect and how life should be. Of course you are younger than us but this life suits you, along with your business you run. So happy this has all worked out for you and your family.
How long have you been in your village ? And would you consider moving to another or not ? Or has this not entered into your head. Just being curious.
If you think of some more to share with us please do so.
Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing more from you.
s s
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 am

Quote :
What a lovely read Esta. It sounds so perfect and how life should be. Of course you are younger than us but this life suits you, along with your business you run. So happy this has all worked out for you and your family.
How long have you been in your village ? And would you consider moving to another or not ? Or has this not entered into your head. Just being curious.
If you think of some more to share with us please do so.
Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing more from you.
ss

T

Yes - I do feel it is perfect. There are small annoyances - but just try not to dwell on them too much!!! I am not that sort of person!!

I will have lived in this village for 4 years in August. I now never say never - there may come a time when we have to move (i.e. for my sons schooling) I would prefer not to. Geographically it suits us - close to Yambol for everyday stuff and close to Burgas for the airport and the coast. Many of the Bulgarians in our age group, that now only come to the village at weekends, (from Burgas &
Yambol) say as soon as they can, they will move back to the village to live permanently.

We did very little research when we bought here - luckily we landed right on our feet. s
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 am

I was getting wrapped up in the other topics but will totally agree with Esta although she is so much younger. It just shows how diverse people are in their views. Reading opposing views of village life, one sometimes wonders if they are living in the same country. I have always had wonderful attention in shops which so many complain about. I honestly think it is not choosing the wrong village that is the problem, but something in a person's personality that just cannot find the good things that Bulgaria has to offer and choose to dwell on the bad. Or simply that the big house they now have is not enough to make them happy.
Whenever I feel a little down, which we all do sometimes living anywhere but particularly away from home, I just go for a walk with the dog and never, ever cease to feel uplifted, happy and priviledged to live in such a place where I can walk with few cars passing, beautiful scenery wherever I look, birds, butterflies and wild flowers in profusion and receiving a nod or wave from a villager passing by. If this is not enough for some to compensate for the downsides, then Bulgaria is not for them.
Even with only basic Bulgarian, it is enough to feel included and appreciated by the locals. They seem to know and understand me without long conversations. This understanding of body language is a skill lost in busy Britain where no-one has time to contemplate. Esta seems to run a business and still appreciate all that her village life has to offer.
Like her, I would never say never and it might transpire that I will end up back in Britain but I never made a conscious decision to leave my home there and have been happy enough wherever my hat has been laid. All down to personality I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 am

Although we have only lived here permanently for just over 2 months, I wake up every morning and think
how lucky we are to be here and follow our dream!
We have had our house here for about 3 years and have visited during every season. I think this is a must, if possible.
To see the area during winter, well, it just looks completely different. We've had frozen pipes, and ice half way up our bath,
resulting in no water for 3 days. But you just get on with it!
We're working physically harder than we ever have. I've just done 2 hours of heavy strimming, trying to get rid of horrible
ground elder, but then gone to see my hens and been rewarded with 6 eggs!
Apart from obviously missing friends and family, (and a daily newspaper) I have absolutely no regrets.
To those not sure about taking the plunge, I say GO FOR IT! Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 405927828
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Scunnered wrote:
Although we have only lived here permanently for just over 2 months, I wake up every morning and think
how lucky we are to be here and follow our dream!
We have had our house here for about 3 years and have visited during every season. I think this is a must, if possible.
To see the area during winter, well, it just looks completely different. We've had frozen pipes, and ice half way up our bath,
resulting in no water for 3 days. But you just get on with it!
We're working physically harder than we ever have. I've just done 2 hours of heavy strimming, trying to get rid of horrible
ground elder, but then gone to see my hens and been rewarded with 6 eggs!
Apart from obviously missing friends and family, (and a daily newspaper) I have absolutely no regrets.
To those not sure about taking the plunge, I say GO FOR IT! Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 405927828

Hello Flower Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 3356871870

I am truly delighted for you both :Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 1931734156: You have now found your haven and living the dream Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 3367882216 - just wonderful news indeed. H I look forward to seeing you both on 1st Oct at the Garden Party for a good old catch up. For now, go girl g Berni xxx H
Back to top Go down
Esta
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:56 pm

I just wanted to add a coupe of things, and bump this up again!!! - with every season in Bulgaria new things come along!!

I like the fruit and veg that our garden has produced, and still continues to do so.

I like that I can still go to the beaches (in some resorts), and not worry about my bag being nicked while I am in the sea (not that I have anything valuable in it anyway)

I like the coolness that comes in the evening - perfect for getting a few jobs done!!!

I like that my brother is coming out here in a couple of weeks - I get to see him more now I am in BG than I did in England!!

I love Autumn here - (usually) lovely warm days - cold evenings &
nights so you can start putting the fire on!!

I now also completely appreciate running water!! For the first year this year we have had quite a few stoppages - the longest being for 4 days. Not a huge problem as we have a communal tap near us and we try to keep a reserve of 400 litres. But it really makes you appreciate it when it comes back on.

g

s
Back to top Go down
http://www.djebulgarianhomes.co.uk
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Nice one Esta a very positive and a Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 3356871870 Well done!! g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's hear it for Bulgaria!   Let's hear it for Bulgaria! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's hear it for Bulgaria!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2