altText

Good deed gone wrong.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

Good deed gone wrong. Empty
PostSubject: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:03 pm

i recently opened the swimming pool ready for the summer, began draining the water slowly, as the water got lower, we found we had a colony of frogs happily living in the pool. not wanting the frogs to be stranded when the pool had no water, we set out to rescue them. we scooped them up and set them free. g

the pool now empty and ready for a chemical clean before re filling.

The other night there was a commotion outside, it sounded like a goose or something was being attacked next door, we ran out to see if anything could be done, the noise was ear splitting. found nothing.

The commotion started again, and again we went to see what was going on, nothing.

It dawned on us that it was the frogs, so i approached the conifers and the noise stopped, having let the frogs go to freedom, they have chose to stay. Good deed gone wrong. 794030042

to be honest they are so loud, i cannot hear the telly even with double glazing, i have never heard such a racket :Band:

They have to go, :Hair: we are surrounded by meadows, but how do i get rid now they are in the garden, Good deed gone wrong. 794030042
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:31 am

Look on the bright side Star ... they just love eating mosquitoes, so at least you'll get less bites!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
EllieMay
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 7:30 am

We have them by the river at the bottom of the garden and I know what you mean about the noise, so loud some nights it is hard to sleep.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:02 am

EllieMay wrote:
We have them by the river at the bottom of the garden and I know what you mean about the noise, so loud some nights it is hard to sleep.

I don't know if it is correct, but I am told that it is the female making that noise when the frogs are making love, so while you are trying to sleep they are trying to multiply g
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:23 am

Frogs or toads can be physically removed from the area. To catch them, go out when they are calling to locate them. Set a bucket near them on its side and use a net or pole to coax them into the bucket. Cover the lid before they hop out. Move them to an area that is not too far but not too close to where you live, perhaps half a mile with a similar set up as far as pond, land, etc. Do not move them so far that they are no longer native to the area. Even if you can remove all the animals currently near where you live, more may move in. As far as mowing goes, frogs normally are out travelling when it is wet out. s
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:03 am

I believe bull frogs are the loudest and this one is loud, the chorus from the other ones is rather pleasant, as i have what you would term a concrete garden, if i dont fill the pool with water they might move next door with a bit of luck. Good deed gone wrong. 2381841692 Good deed gone wrong. 1865348797
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:05 pm

starlite wrote:
I believe bull frogs are the loudest and this one is loud, the chorus from the other ones is rather pleasant, as i have what you would term a concrete garden, if i dont fill the pool with water they might move next door with a bit of luck. Good deed gone wrong. 2381841692 Good deed gone wrong. 1865348797

I found this, which confirms my thoughts starlite, you have obviously got an excessive amount of sex going on in your garden g

Why Do Frogs Make so Much Racket?

Frogdoc, Yahoo! Contributor Network

Frogs Bullfrog Toads Noises Racket
It is springtime and love is in the air for many critters. As the winter air warms, it fills with the sounds of birds, insects, and, of course, frogs and toads. Why does this happen? Many animals make noises as warning signals, or to mark territories. However, most of the noise that you hear a frog make is all in the name of love. The noises that frogs create are 'calls' and they do just that;
they call out to potential mates.

It might be interesting to note that only male frogs call. This is because the female has to be especially choosy. A female can lay eggs only once, maybe twice, a year whereas a male can mate several times. So, the male contribution to produce offspring is much less costly than the female contribution. Therefore, if a male chooses a suboptimal mate his loss is not as great as if a female were to choose carelessly. This pattern also holds true in bird species, where drab females select males based on the brilliance of their feathers.

Calls are created when air fills pouches on the throat, called the vocal sac. The air vibrates within the vocal sac and sound is created. The quality of the sound produced can vary with environmental variables such as temperature. The sounds created can be quite loud and can carry for miles, attracting females from neighboring ponds. In fact, the call of the spring peeper has been said to have the same decibel level as an airport runway! Oftentimes frogs of the same species will congregate within a single pond and form what is known as a chorus. The noise of a chorus can travel farther than the sound from a single individual. So, more females may be attracted to larger choruses.
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 12:13 pm

:oops: they have got to go. :oops: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Just tell them to hop it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mind you frogs are complete liars Good deed gone wrong. 2345823347 I said to one the other day have you looked at war &
Peace and it said "
read it"
Good deed gone wrong. 2079180590
Back to top Go down
kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:14 pm

We had the same problem in our pool in Zambia.

Solution: A 9 iron and swing as if it is a par 5. Keep going till no more "
balls"
left!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good deed gone wrong.   Good deed gone wrong. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good deed gone wrong.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1