View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Here is something to entertain you all on Saturday night. You might even see heavenly The Moon 1763269238 :Angel2:or 🐷might fly

Taken from Sofia Echo

[size=150:3td9tgo5]Super Moon looming over Bulgaria on March 19
If you like gazing at the Moon, have a pair of strong binoculars or even better, a portable telescope, you might want to spend an hour or so in one of the city's parks and glance at the night sky on Saturday night (March 19).

Alternatively, if you a fatalist, or a doom-merchant, make sure to find a sound bunker, stock up on provisions and pray to your Pagan Gods because the end of the world is just around the corner.

Then again, this might be your lucky day, so a lottery ticket could potentially go a long way. Sounds like a bizarre Saturday night already?

According to astronomers, this coming March 19 2011, the moon will be at its closest point to our planet earth for 19 years - a mere 356 577 kilometres away, a phenomenon referred to as a "
Super Moon"

On average, the moon is about 378 195 km away. At its furthest it is nearly 400 000 km away. During a lunar perigee and full moon, however, the lunar surface can appear up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than any other full moon.

This phenomenon, which is the opposite of a "
lunar apogee"
, when the Moon is furthest from Earth, will be visible in the Bulgarian night sky, weather permitting of course.

According to Bulgarian weather forecasts, Sofia's night sky on March 19 will be one of "
sporadic cloud cover"
with temperatures between 5C and 11C, so the event should be visible to the naked eye at least for a while.

Inevitably, however, the phenomenon will bring all doom merchants out of the woodwork, telling you fascinating stories about the end of the world and Judgment Day, saying it would have severe effect on Earth's climate patterns and may even cause further earthquakes and severe volcanic activity.

Previous Super Moons took place in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005 - all years that had extreme weather events, the conspiracy theorists say.

For Bulgaria, however, the worst that could happen is for Strouma Motorway's launch to be postponed for another year or for Pernik to be proclaimed a province of Serbia The Moon 2706089290
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm

This is ok if your in Bulgaria at the time and the sky is clear and that's if its true ? but I suspect it maybe some sort of junk from the media The Moon 739492727
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 pm

[size=55:1ldzra08]Sofia echo

Telescope scramble: Super Moon over Bulgaria this evening

If you don't see, it won't hurt you. That maxim has never quite made sense, but at least the doom merchants in Bulgaria, if any, will be able to sleep well tonight. The Moon 1865348797 The Moon 1865348797

Bulgaria, along with the rest of the world, is expecting the Super Moon phenomenon on March 19 2011, when our loyal satellite will be at its closest point to our planet earth for 19 years - a mere 356 577 kilometres away, a phenomenon referred to as a "
Super Moon"

On average, the moon is about 378 195 km away. At its furthest it is nearly 400 000 km away. During a lunar perigee and full moon, however, the lunar surface can appear up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than any other full moon.

This phenomenon, which is the opposite of a "
lunar apogee"
, when the Moon is furthest from Earth, will be visible in the Bulgarian night sky - weather permitting, of course.

The phenomenon will be a fascinating sight, but as far as Bulgaria is concerned, unfortunately it might go unseen. The weather forecast for March 19 is one of heavy cloud cover and rain, with temperatures, for Sofia, of between 4 and 9C.

Most of the country will be shrouded in cloud, but if you live in Blagoevgrad in the south-west, or near Silistra in the north-east, you might have a better chance, as those places will be mainly cloudless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 am

complete cloud cover here ..so could not see it ...i remember seeing it before thou in london driving over a fly over...one really did feel as if one could reach out and touch it...it was a fantastic sight
Back to top Go down
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:12 am

Your not on your own varnagirl I didn't see it either The Moon 927475117
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Senior user
Senior user
Fletch

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 am

I did not see it either but I have gone a little mad The Moon 2381841692
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user
Gimp

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 am

Fletch wrote:
I did not see it either but I have gone a little mad The Moon 2381841692

Aren't we all The Moon 1865348797 The Moon 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 pm

It was astounding. A very red colour and huge. Unfortunately, I was out without my digi-cam
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Sponsored content

The Moon Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Moon   The Moon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Moon

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: What's on ???-