altText
altText
altText

Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day Empty
PostSubject: Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day   Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 8:03 am

From Novinite

The name Babin Den comes from the Bulgarian word "
baba"
, which means old woman or grandmother because in the past old women have been the village midwifes, helping the younger ones to give birth. (Den means day in Bulgarian.)

Babin Den is a day to show respect and gratitude to those, who have helped women become mothers. The celebration has pagan roots, but has remained a significant holiday all through Bulgarian history, especially during the Bulgarian Renaissance.

at dawn, mothers of toddlers and babies go to the village fountain to get fresh water. They take the water along with a bar of soap and a new towel to the midwife's house to do a rite washing of her hands. The women hand the midwife the soap, help her wash her hands and offer her the towel as a gift. The midwife wipes her hands in the young women's skirts so that they can bear many children and give birth easily.

The midwife also receives as gifts shirts and socks, which the mothers throw over her right shoulder. On her part, she gives the children she helped deliver a silver coin, socks and shirts. She also washes the children's faces with the water, which once being used by the midwife, is believed to have purifying powers.

It was also believed that in order for the delivery to go without problems, the midwife needed to light a float light, close all the windows and untie everything in the house that was tied. The delivery itself was kept secret from everyone with the exception of the midwife and the mother-in-law. The new mother was not allowed to get out of bed or to stay alone until the child was baptized.

Since 1951, Babin Den is an official holiday in Bulgaria, called the Day of the Delivery Assistance and honors not only midwifes, but obstetricians and all doctors and medical personnel involved in the delivery of a baby.

Last edited by 1 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day   Bulgaria Honors Midwife Day Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Its interesting to read the roots of this tradition. I attended 'Babaden' with around 40 other 'Babas' in the village. It was the usual merry affair and our choir sang some jolly songs. Lots of homemade food and wine - its amazing how the 'oldies' still like a tipple and even enjoyed the Mayor's gift of whisky which he took around the table making sure everyone had a tot. I didn't really want to drink since I have high blood pressure but what the hell......Finally the choir persuaded me to sing the solo they have taught me. This meant I had to rush home to get my 'words'. No way would I trust my memory as well as trying to stay on key. They didn't want me to bother saying it was okay, but I am so happy to have their friendship that its my way of saying 'thank you'. To see their smiling faces was reward enough. I left before it finally finished as I can never keep up with them all. s
The village of Hotnitsa, near VT, was on BTV news with their celebration of Babaden. Did anyone see it?
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1