Do It Yourself

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

Do It Yourself - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 7:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

There has been a lot of chat c of late about doing the odd DIY project.

My best recommendation on this is a very firm DON'T.

In my training to become a Health &
Safety Professional we had to learn the good and bad practices that have been apparent in the past. There is (maybe was)a place called the Health &
Safety Exhibition in Horseferry Road in London, in this place there is book called "
Book 13"
. In this book there are pictures of the results of mal/ bad practice. Some;
not all resulted in death. It was an eye opener and I'm not going to inform you all of some of the stupid things that have been done. As a result of some the acts of bad practice people were prosecuted and some sent to prison. I'm not going to stop anyone on here from giving good advice. But I must repeat yet again if you are Not qualified in the task that you are thinking of having done then seek advice and get a quote from a professional. Electricity, Heating, Ventilation and all other types of work have there inherent dangers. Electricity can KILL, Hot water can scaled maybe resulting in death. This is not meant as scare tactics but please be careful. I know one or two of you will say this is not the UK. But the end results are always the same when something goes wrong, there is injury or death. I started my working life as an Electrician working my way up through several trades. I have been away from my vocational skills for such a long period of time that I will now call upon skilled persons to undertake work on my house. Admitted I watch them like a hawk but I have had to accept that things have trod on a march since I was last "
hands on"

I feel I keep plugging the same theme but as some TV presenter once said "
Be safe out there"
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am

Hi to all you DIY people out there.

Well the heating season is almost all but over. Please remember to get all chimneys cleaned for those of us that have used wood and/or solid fuel type heating. I have had no luck at all in finding a chimney sweep so I thought well it cannot be that hard to make up some sort of brush set. Well after a bit of thought I have put three metal brush heads and joined them together to make a big sweeping brush. I then connected these to a plastic water pipe. Then by using pipe couplers I have increased the length of pipe adding one to another and hence I have my own chimney cleaning rod set. Some people will not understand the application but some will.

Always wear a mask when dealing with ash.

Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:11 pm

tony, I am impressed. :Great:Perhaps you should come out of retirement and start up a chimney sweep business Do It Yourself - Page 5 2706089290
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:01 pm

willowsend wrote:
tony, I am impressed. :Great:Perhaps you should come out of retirement and start up a chimney sweep business :Clap

Er no :Handshake:Maybe get a patent for the idea but the thought of getting up in the Morning for the 'W' word never. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But glad you answered Bryan as I forgot to add that people should also wear gloves :Do It Yourself - Page 5 3897195628: Do It Yourself - Page 5 2345823347 Do It Yourself - Page 5 3998065313
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 pm

You are so clever Tony well done you!!! We managed to find a chimney sweeper at a bootsale for £3 was was just fantastic the brushes are a little worn but plenty of life in them yet. Then we have your idea fab!! g
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:46 pm

oddball wrote:
You are so clever Tony well done you!!! We managed to find a chimney sweeper at a bootsale for £3 was was just fantastic the brushes are a little worn but plenty of life in them yet. Then we have your idea fab!! g

Just think how many £3.00 you could earn tony , would help with the old age pension Do It Yourself - Page 5 3367882216
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

willowsend wrote:
oddball wrote:

Just think how many £3.00 you could earn tony , would help with the old age pension Do It Yourself - Page 5 3367882216

Ah Ah no way Do It Yourself - Page 5 1865348797 Do It Yourself - Page 5 1865348797 Do It Yourself - Page 5 1865348797 Do It Yourself - Page 5 1865348797 Do It Yourself - Page 5 1865348797
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 am

The Bulgarian sweep chimneys with a brick on a rope , it works for them .
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 am

johnbaz wrote:
The Bulgarian sweep chimneys with a brick on a rope , it works for them .

Well just what can be said about that then john Do It Yourself - Page 5 794030042
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 am

I think the moral there is simple is best .
Back to top Go down
mickhev
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Another good idea and it works is get a long chain and just swivel it in circles as you drop it and it works great

Mike Do It Yourself - Page 5 3386807041
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:22 pm

mickhev wrote:
Another good idea and it works is get a long chain and just swivel it in circles as you drop it and it works great

Mike Do It Yourself - Page 5 3386807041

I would think, with tony's method you have to start from the fire-place and work upwards
With john's and mick's method you have got to start at the top and work downwards, which I presume that means you require a ladder and don't suffer from heights. I prefer tony's method Do It Yourself - Page 5 3386807041 Do It Yourself - Page 5 3367882216
Back to top Go down
Banned member2
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Well try this method i have a stainless steel insulated liner in my chimney , you have to have these by law in England , advantage hotter cleaner burn no tar build up no chimney fire and no build up of soot , if you want to clean it throw some moth balls on the fire . All this from you fireside seat . Check mate .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do It Yourself   Do It Yourself - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do It Yourself

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Property Renovations & tips-