HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

altText
altText
altText
altText
altText
altText

Share | 
 

 User categories

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Ashley,

I believe I am correct in thinking that once you hit 300 posts, you become a "
super user"
and there is no higher category for 600 or 700 posts or whatever.

Is it possible to institute something like "
mega user"
, etc., etc., the more posts you have with breakpoints at 400, 500, 600, etc?

It might encourage users to post more in order to attain these targets and make the forum an even livelier place than it already is??

Regards, George.
Back to top Go down
oddball
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 7311
Join date : 2009-10-20
Age : 60

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am



Morning George

Thanks for that suggestion What a excellent idea g I an sure Ashley will give it some thought and let you know in due course. g

But in the meantime lets see if we can help him with some examples ie

Georges started us off with Mega user.
I propose the following:
Newbie user
mammoth user
super user
Top user

Oddy s

_________________
Berni & Dougie [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2268
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


Morning George

Thanks for that suggestion What a excellent idea g I an sure Ashley will give it some thought and let you know in due course. g

But in the meantime lets see if we can help him with some examples ie

Georges started us off with Mega user.
I propose the following:
Newbie user
mammoth user
super user
Top user

Oddy s

:Howdy:I personally don't consider it important as to how many times you post, it's the value and the content of a post/topic that is important and the valuable information and experiences that can be shared amongst us all ::
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 am

Hi George, we did have a number of groups starting with Junior user and working up to Maga user which was post count related, this is an add on to the forum which is called "
auto groups"
, however since this forum is run on the very latest phpbb software the new add on had some bugs so I was forced to remove it :Headbang:When a new and more stable add on comes along it will be added g so keep your fingers crossed that the author of the software gets it sorted out g

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]



Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:27 am

I forgot to add that although we no longer have the groups we do have a ranking system which is much the same thing and works as shown below g


_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]



Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
meandmine
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 613
Join date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

:Howdy:I personally don't consider it important as to how many times you post, it's the value and the content of a post/topic that is important and the valuable information and experiences that can be shared amongst us all ::

I think you do have a point here willowsend
Back to top Go down
starlite
Mega user
Mega user


Posts : 1784
Join date : 2009-10-11

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:56 am

I think both points are valid. yes it is quality not quantity, but its nice when new members reach a level and become a member, gives that sense of belonging and is good for confidence, which will encourage more use of the forum. I think it works well. g
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:22 pm

@Admin wrote:
Hi George, we did have a number of groups starting with Junior user and working up to Maga user which was post count related, this is an add on to the forum which is called "
auto groups"
, however since this forum is run on the very latest phpbb software the new add on had some bugs so I was forced to remove it :Headbang:When a new and more stable add on comes along it will be added g so keep your fingers crossed that the author of the software gets it sorted out g

@oddball wrote:
Re: User categories

Post by oddball ยป 24 Oct 2010 12:20


Morning George

Thanks for that suggestion :Good post:What a excellent idea :Great:I an sure Ashley will give it some thought and let you know in due course. g

But in the meantime lets see if we can help him with some examples ie

Georges started us off with Mega user.
I propose the following:
Newbie user
mammoth user
super user
Top user

Oddy s


Hi Ashley,

I hadn't realised you had tried to do this and had problems, so, I expect we'll just have to wait until the authors sort it out. g

Hi Oddie,

Must admit I'm very keen on "
mammoth"
user. Just off the cuff, I came up with "
mega"
user. However, I'm sure once all the problems with the actual system are ironed out, there will be plenty of suggestions before Ashley implements it s s g g

Regards, George
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 1250
Join date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I don't see the point of groups ? is we already have a rank system which really is the same
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
avatar

Posts : 2268
Join date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't see the point of groups ? is we already have a rank system which really is the same

I totally agree with you davshaz. I see that you are a super user with four stars and 509 postings g
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user
avatar

Posts : 821
Join date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm

I would stick with the rank at least that way if anyone wants to know they only have to look to the right and its there to see not really sure how groups would make this any better
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi sallyann,

I don't think Ashley is talking about forming "
groups"
as such, but about rankings through an add-on called "
auto groups"
, which did not work properly. I'm sure he will clarify if that is not correct.

Regards, George.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm

@Admin wrote:
I forgot to add that although we no longer have the groups we do have a ranking system which is much the same thing and works as shown below g


Just had another look at Ashley's second post on this - what we have according to that is, indeed, rankings, but with a very large gap between super user and mega user (300 posts and 1750 posts). I'd have thought it would be useful to have a few rankings in between? Ashley?

Regards, George.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm

There seems to be some confusion here so I will clear it up, I think I have actually confused things by talking about "
Groups"
at present we have ranks as described above and I misunderstood George thinking he was asking if it was possible to have groups as we did before, my mistake :Headbang:groups and ranks are both much the same on this forum ie the more you post the higher the group you become a member of but since we use Ranks , the more you post the higher your rank becomes which is shown to the right, hope that now clears up any confusion I have caused

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]



Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
Guest
Guest
avatar


PostSubject: Re: User categories   Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 pm

@Admin wrote:
There seems to be some confusion here so I will clear it up, I think I have actually confused things by talking about "
Groups"
at present we have ranks as described above and I misunderstood George thinking he was asking if it was possible to have groups as we did before, my mistake :Headbang:groups and ranks are both much the same on this forum ie the more you post the higher the group you become a member of but since we use Ranks , the more you post the higher your rank becomes which is shown to the right, hope that now clears up any confusion I have caused

Doesn't that work out the same then, Ashley? You are either in, for example, a "
junior user"
group according to no of posts or you are "
ranked"
as a "
junior user"
according to number of posts?

My original thinking was that there ought to be distinctions made between users according to number of posts more frequently, ie at 300, then, say 500, then 700, etc. Right now, there is a huge gap betwen "
super user"
and "
mega user"
?

Rgds., G.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: User categories   

Back to top Go down
 

User categories

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Coir Instead of Peat Moss?
» Discovery workshop manual 1995 (300)
» Koala Slide leak & gutter extensions
» Measuring arrow speed without a chrony?
» What are You Planting for Fall-Winter (Central California)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Forum Announcements Only !!-