View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
bigsavak
Super user
Super user
bigsavak

Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firing up the wood burning stove

There are lots of techniques for starting fires and like BBQ's I'm sure you will find a dozen blokes who know the right way to do it with a dozen different opinions. However you choose to light your fire? start with decent wood! Preparation is key. Buy it as early as you can. We bought ours a bit later in the year as we hadn't moved so wood was the last thing on our mind. We were also limited to what was available so late in the year but we managed to get 6 cubic meters of oak!. Our wood in total cost around 200 BGN which isn't’t bad for a whole winter. With properly seasoned wood and kindling you should be able to get a fire going in no time.

If it's a newly installed wood burner there are a few things to check. First, it's worth having a look round the house with a small fire burning to see that the smoke is going the right way and not coming out of anywhere it shouldn't? and it won't hurt to check the spare room isn't filling with smoke? This is also a good time to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are working if you have them fitted.

A lot of people are a bit shocked the first time they make a fire that some smoke seems to go the wrong way! Assuming you have cleaned your chimney, a common cause of smoke coming into the house from a wood burning stove is that the hot air pressure pushing the smoke out of the house is not as strong as the cold air pressure in the chimney pushing down. its a good idea to open a window in the room with the stove alight which will encourage a draught through the room and up the chimney. doesn't sound good if it's cold outside which it is or you wouldn't be lighting a fire but it is better than a room full of smoke. Getting the fire hot fast with as little smoldering as possible will help push the air up so it's worth burning some smaller wood and kindling to get things roaring before you get the bigger logs.

Another question is "
why is the top of my stove smoking?"
If it's a new wood burning stove then usually this is fairly innocent, just the paint and oil on the outside of the burner which basically burning off . This can happen the first few times you get the stove lit but if it keeps happening then you may need to talk to the people you bought it from because something isn't’t right! If you have an old stove that's giving off smoke then you could have a problem with some of the welds? or the door seal/glass seal may have deteriorated. It could be worth repairing the stove but look at the price for parts, there maybe wood burning stoves which are more efficient and inexpensive.

Another thing is to get the fire on was a set of fire place accessories-poker, ash shovel etc. which are a must! , you may need to put a guard around your stove to make sure no one gets burnt- children and pets.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Oh Sarah a few weeks ago we had to put the aircon on hot during the day but by evening we had to put the wood burner on, it was freezing in the villa but it was only for the one evening The neighbours all laughed La when they saw the smoke coming from the villa. They just put layers on. Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 3367882216
Back to top Go down
justbazz
Super user
Super user
justbazz

PostSubject: subject   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:31 pm

I got lucky this year...one of the local wood suppliers had a sale and I bought 20cu metres of cut and split oak for 40 leva delivered.

The wood shed is full to the brim now.
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 3:30 pm

justbazz wrote:
I got lucky this year...one of the local wood suppliers had a sale and I bought 20cu metres of cut and split oak for 40 leva delivered.

Brilliant Baz well done!!  I got 6cu at 65lev a cu total split and delivered 390lev  so very happy with that g

Last year I paid 350lev for 4 cu but think we only got 2cu. The same chap quotes me 590 for 5cbs this year plus 20 transport. Luckly one of the neighbours stepped in and told him where to go. wow
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Getting any firewood now may be difficult or a longish wait before delivery. The BG government stopped any cutting of wood some weeks ago and have only just allowed wood to be cut again. The risk of starting a fire from chain saws and workmen accidentally dropping cigarettes meant that all cutting had to stop for a few weeks. There are now waiting lists for delivery of wood that should have been cut in August.

Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 794030042 Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 794030042 Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 794030042
Back to top Go down
Izzitwizzy
Izzitwizzy

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Got my wood last year ready for this year I always buy a year in advance but your right there is a shortage.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 1:40 pm

oddball wrote:
justbazz wrote:

Brilliant Baz well done!!  I got 6cu at 65lev a cu total split and delivered 390lev  so very happy with that g

Last year I paid 350lev for 4 cu but think we only got 2cu.  The same chap quotes me 590 for 5cbs this year plus 20 transport.  Luckly one of the neighbours stepped in and told him where to go.  wow

Very wise Berni, it;s best to shop around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firing up the wood burning stove   Firing up the wood burning stove - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Firing up the wood burning stove

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5