HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in



 Visa Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Posts : 6136
Join date : 2009-08-15

Visa Information Empty
PostSubject: Visa Information   Visa Information Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Citizens of other EU member states and Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the USA can stay in Bulgaria visa-free for up to 90 days. Citizens of other countries should check the current requirements with their nearest Bulgarian embassy or consulate before their departure.

Visas cannot be obtained at border crossings.

Visa extensions
At the time of writing, visitors wishing to extend their visit to Bulgaria beyond the 90-day
limit have to apply for a residence permit at the Immigration Office (02-982 3764 ;
bul Maria Luisa 48;
9am-5pm Mon-Fri This is likely to be a time-consuming, bureaucratic nightmare, and nobody here will speak anything but Bulgarian. It’s probably far better to contact the Bulgarian Embassy in your own country for advice before you travel if you envisage being in the country for more than three months. The situation, especially for EU citizens, may well change over coming years.

Read On

Visits to Bulgaria for up to 90 days in any six month period.

How to calculate the 90 day rule There are two categories of visit to Bulgaria, long and short. The short form can be one or more visits up to a total of 90 days in any six month period. The best way to calculate this is to look at the end date of your proposed future visit, and count back 6 months. Total the number of days spent in Bulgaria during that entire six month period including the future trip. As long as they are less or equal to 90, you can book the future planned trip. What you can not do is stay for two periods of 90 days ‘back to back’ as this would exceed 90 days in a continuous six month period. Fines have been imposed on visitors who exceed the 90 day limit.

Holders of valid ordinary passports from the countries listed below do not need a visa to visit Bulgaria for one or more visits up to a total of 90 days within any period of six months.

Passport holders from the following countries do NOT need a visa to stay up to 90 days: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK (British Citizen Passport Holders only see Note 1 below), USA, Uruguay, the Vatican, Venezuela, SAR – China (Hong Kong, Macao)

Holders of British Subject Passports should inquire at the Bulgarian Embassy in London or their nearest Bulgarian Embassy before planning to travel. They are NOT covered by the above rule and have been refused entry to Bulgaria if they do not hold a current visa.

ALL holders of passports from countries NOT listed above need visas to enter Bulgaria and should apply to the nearest Bulgarian Embassy, see link below. A 'C' visa will be required for a short stay up to 90 days.

General Notes on Short Visits. All passports must be valid in date for at least 3 months after the end of the intended stay and if a visa is required there must be a blank page available.

All children entering Bulgaria will need to have their own passport. Children included in their parents' passports will only be allowed in if the passport also contains their photograph.

The 90 day visa free entry does not entitle you to work in Bulgaria, a work permit may still be required.

As Bulgaria will not become a member of the SCHENGEN ZONE until 2009 and this is the earliest possible time tourists traveling on a Schengen visa from outside the above countries will also have to get a Bulgarian Visa.

Visits to Bulgaria for over 90 days.

Longer and permanent stays in Bulgaria, The Long Stay Certificate (also known as the Residence Certificate)

There are new rules in force for longer/permanent stays depending on whether the passport held comes from outside or inside the EU.

For those who hold passports from countries outside the EU, a 'D' visa must be applied for at a Bulgarian embassy outside of Bulgaria for long term stays. Visas can be applied for either in your home country or to the Bulgarian embassies in Romania, Greece or Turkey. The 'D' visa allows the holder to apply for a long stay at a main immigration office once the holder has arrived inside Bulgaria. A full list of documentation that is required for a D visa is available Here> [url=http:
uk:2cm3kgh5][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For those who hold passports from countries inside the EU, ( Austria, Belgium, The Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom):

New rules dating from January 1st 2007 allow for longer stays in Bulgaria than 90 days but this must be arranged once inside Bulgaria. This Long Stay Certificate is applied for at a police station that has an immigration office, these are usually found in the Towns or city's of each Bulgarian administrative region. A stay for a period of over 90 days to five years can be applied for. As long as all the paperwork is available, the Long Stay Certificate should be issued the same day.

Documentation for Long Stay Certificate:

There are various grounds on which you can apply for the Long Stay Certificate, here are a few:
1) Being employed or self employed in Bulgaria.
2) Being self supporting.
3) A student in Bulgaria.

You will need to supply:
A Current and valid Passport
Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate (if applicable)

If you are applying on the grounds of being employed or self employed, you will have to provide proof of this, either a contract from your employer or by showing the current status of your company ,the company registration documents,declaration that the company is still active,Bulstat card.

If you are applying on the grounds of being self supporting you need to show a letter from your Bulgarian bank proving your ability to be self supporting, and proof of access to Health Insurance.

Health Insurance.

You may find that your 'European Health Insurance Card' will satisfy the requirement of Health Insurance. Check the date on your EHIC Card, as you may only get a Long Term Certificate up to that expiry date.

You may also have to produce your House deeds or proof of where you will be living and for proof of having been registered at some point during your current vist to Bulgaria.

After five continuous years of residency in Bulgaria using Long Stay Certificates you can apply for Permanent Residency. Under certain circumstances such as marriage to a Bulgarian Citizen, you can apply sooner.

The sites below you may find very helpful

The Bulgarian Embassy in London UK
uk:2cm3kgh5][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current List of all Bulgarian embassies
htm:2cm3kgh5][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Information for the Schengen visa
info:2cm3kgh5][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down

Visa Information

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

» Tennessee State Parks - General Information
» I'm confused about frost-vs-freeze
» Que signifie ID dans le formulaire DS-160 USA
» Seed Packet Info
» Extending an FM-T

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Visa and Passport information-