altText
altText

Green Tomatoes ... what to make?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chris

Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Empty
PostSubject: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Folks

Just been given a huge bag of green tomatoes by the neighbour.

Usually, I would make a chutney, however, only a few weeks ago I made a spicy tomato, courgette and onion chutney and I have jars of it stored in the cellar.

Anybody any ideas what to use them for, which is not the usual chutney / pickle?

Nets: I did hear that there is a green tomato / potato curry recipe, but not sure if this is genuine?

Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
Netsniperthefirst
Netsniperthefirst

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Have you treis this Chris

Fried Green Tomatoes! With white grapes served with soft polenta

Ingredients:

4-6 green tomatoes
flour and sea salt (enough to coat the tomato slices)
6 garlic cloves
extra virgin olive oil
2 bunches of sweet white grapes (must be sweet)
polenta

Method:

Slice the green tomatoes thickly, it's traditional to remove the seeds. Coat with flour and sea salt to taste.

Pour extra virgin olive in a pan or skillet to a depth of 1/8 inch. Heat oil and add garlic cloves, cook until fragrance is released.

Add tomato slices, cook until bottom is golden then flip and cook other side.

While tomatoes are cooking, de-stem the grapes and slice them in half. Add half of the grapes to the tomatoes, and then mash the other half (preferably in a chinois) so that you're adding just the juice to the mixture.

Simmer on the stove top (or in an oven) at a low heat for 20 minutes. Serve over soft polenta.

Green tomato curry

Ingredients

Green tomatoes: app 1lbs/1/2 kg
onion: 1/4 of a cup or less finely chopped
1 clove minced of garlic
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp cumin
A few curry leaves
1 pinch asafaetida (if available)
A pinch of turmeric or as you want
At least a couple green chillies
Roasted peanut and sesame seeds powder or roasted peanut powder (without the skin).
Salt to taste

Method

In a large pan add oil and let it get hot. In very hot oil add mustard seeds first. When the mustard splatters, add cumin, curry leaves, asafaetida, green chillies and turmeric. Then add garlic, ginger and onion fry them for couple of minutes. You can add now red chili powder. Add the green tomatoes and salt. Sauté them for few minutes. If you do not want the chunky texture you need to add little water and cover it with a lid and let it simmer. When they are soften add the mixture of roasted peanut and sesame seeds powder and mix it well. Remove from the stove and you are done!

It goes best with chapatis .
Back to top Go down
http://www.marketdraytonforum.com
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Brilliant ... thanks Nets.

Will go for the curry!

Whilst I do like Fried Green Tomatoes and Garlic (and I even have a few sweet white grapes kicking around), I hate Polenta!

Like some kind of savoury Ready Brek! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user
cheekychops

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't have any green toms in fact I don't have any red either but I will try and get some green ones and give the curry recipe a go T
Back to top Go down
thetravelbug
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 am

Wow! Fab - think will try the green tomato curry tonight! Don't think much chance of remaining tomatoes turning red, now winter descending on us!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetravelbug.org
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 am

Green Tomato chutney! Sorry no recipe but there's hundreds on the net!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 am

ChrisQBG wrote:
Usually, I would make a chutney, however, only a few weeks ago I made a spicy tomato, courgette and onion chutney and I have jars of it stored in the cellar.

Aaaaagghhhhh ... no more chutney! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am

Off topic I know but I have a Cupboard full of Piccalilii.Cauliflowers are out now! I used the Delia online recipe but used the silverskin onions and Cornichons from Kaufland instead.The vinegar in the recipe tarts the taste of the onions up a little when eating.Made about 3 gallons of it about a month ago.It is absolutely gorgeous now.You will need a load of english mustard powder to make it though (100 plus gramms I used for the 3 gallons).
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user
davshaz

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 am

Thankyou for the Tomato curry netsniper this will be a must try for me :Fantastic:
Back to top Go down
thetravelbug
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Right about to try making the curry! May have to substitute a few ingredients but....
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetravelbug.org
miss happy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Green tomato Jam

2lb Green toms
2lb sugar
4 table spoons lemon juice

1 cut toms into quarters
2 cover with sugar and stand over night.
3 simmer gently, sterring well until sugar has dissolved.
4 continue simmering until toms are soft.
5 add lemon juice
6 boil rapidly until set.
7 you can alter the flavour by adding a little powdered or crystallised ginger

Its the same for red tomato Jam which is lovely on scones!
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Miss happy I never gave jam a thought T
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 5:12 am

Blink wrote:
I never gave jam a thought

Neither did I to be honest, but looks fairly easy to make. g
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Tomatoes ... what to make?   Green Tomatoes ... what to make? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Tomatoes ... what to make?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1