altText

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

INTRODUCTION TO Silistra Orphanages March 28, 2009,

Hi Guys

Well it's time for us to start planning our next trip to the Silistra Orphanage. You will probably remember that Dougie and myself Berni sent a lorry load of goods over to the Orphanage in October 2008 and paid for all the transport ourself. It was a wonderful success, that we said we would do it again this year. Most of you followed the blog and seen the pictures.

I have had a small amount of participation from various companies I wrote to. They have send a few boxes of stuff which is a great help, but Freecycle and Netmums still remain our main suppliers. We have filled 79 boxes already but this is now shared between, our own Orphanage and a baby Orphanage in Silistra, we have been told about and what they need etc. We will visit them in Sept with some goods and see what it is like etc. We have also been collecting stuff for our villagers and the home for the elderly and also the Hospital - which we have a few wheelchairs, crutches and walking aids and a mobility scooter - although I am not sure what to do with the mobility scooter yet - I would like to trade it in for some wheelchairs, as they would be much more useful. We will have to look at that in due course.

I have approached our local TA and the WI and they are all collecting for us now, how wonderful is that. thumbsup Got the Brownies and possibly one school doing shoe box appeal for Christmas too. We are over the moon as we were donated an ex hire 40ft by 40ft marquee. All we need to do is buy the metal stakes. They are expensive here in UK £3.50 each and we need about 60, so we will get them made up in BG, which will help the local ironmonger business too.

Now that we have asked people to help, we are just delighted with the response and they are more than happy to be able to help in some way. Mind you, it is still very hard to get a foot in the door - Most companies have their own charities etc they donate to and believe me, it can be very disponding work, but then you get one that say YES, wow! it like you hit the jackpot thumbsup

We have people dropping stuff off and having a coffee and a chat and they are happy to see for themselves what we are like and get more info on our cause, nine times out of ten they will come back with more stuff.

Dougie and I wash, sort, pack the clothes and label the toiletries in Bulgarian. Then we label the boxes and store. But our spare room is getting jammed packed now so we are looking for a kind soul to donate warehouse space. The TA has offered to keep their stuff there until we find suitable storage space. so no panic yet. I am sure something will turn up. The RAF may also be helping us the end of April.

We will be paying the transport again ourself, although, when we are back on our feet properly we will be doing carboot sales, raffles etc to raise the funds. As most of you already know Dougie has had heart surgery in Nov 08 it went well, but he has to undergo another op. He is gutted, as he wanted to be in BG for April, still it can't be helped, his health comes first. I too went down with an illness 3 days after Dougie came out of hospital from his surgery, I was rushed in for another 8 days - We have been lucky in the past with only had minor ailments, the normal cold etc but for both of us to be struck down with major illness at once. it's just unbelievable. I am doing well too, again just a small op and please God we will be back to normal.

Bulgariabill has been a tower of strength to us and has build us a website and it will be going live in April, so hopefully we may get donations from there to make the improvements necessary in the Orphanage, but who knows what will happen.

I have written to various transport companies as they might be in a position to offer us some free space, but with the credit crunch, it is very difficult on them too. But I will keep trying.

I have contacted Opticians and now have 3 of them collecting recycling specs for us, I just need to find an Optician in Silistra to test for free I am working on that too.

I also need to find a way of getting the marquee out as the centre pole is about 25ft long with no breaks, so an all in one unit, the rest folds down - Could be, if we can't get it transported as a whole, we might be able to get a new pole in BG, but I have no idea of the cost, would that be possible??

Well now, you are all up to date again. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be moving to BG for another few years until Dougie health is all clear. But we can go for the summer months. We will start off by going for a month in Sept, naturally we want to be there when the lorry load arrives. Oh! it's so exciting I can't wait. We would love to have a big party at the Orphanage in our new marquee so might plan something around that -so watch this space.

Oddy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am

Good to have you back and well done to you all. I'm off to look at the gallery.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Blink wrote:

A few of the photo's have gone on the gallery as landscape photo's 800 x 600, when they should have been portrait 600 x 800. Berni, I can assure you that my camera does not lie, you are not really that wide :Very funny 2:The situation is being rectified :Thank you:to Ashley
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user
varnagirl

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:04 pm

photos look great...kids looking happy ..bless em
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 2:34 pm

willowsend wrote:
Blink wrote:

A few of the photo's have gone on the gallery as landscape photo's 800 x 600, when they should have been portrait 600 x 800. Berni, I can assure you that my camera does not lie, you are not really that wide :Very funny 2:The situation is being rectified :Thank you:to Ashley

Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 3998065313 Thanks Willow - The tv people were at our villa at 7.30am and naturally we had our jeans on ready for setting up the party. I did not even have a chance to change into my party frock which I brought special for the party Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 927475117 still, not to worry we have next year Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 2706089290

s Berni xx
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:17 am

Just watched the slideshow - lovely to see such happy faces. Especially liked the little
boys wearing their sailor suits! s
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 am

You said:- I did not even have a chance to change into my party frock which I brought special for the party still, not to worry we have next year

I thought you looked absolutely fine Berni and I didn't know that you hadn't dressed for the occasion. :Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 1931734156: Jeans and shirt were the obvious dress code for the organiser of an outdoor party and by the way which Rugby team does Dougie play for. Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 1865348797
I don't know about your party frock though, it could be out of date by next year Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 927475117
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Oh you little darling Willow flattery I can handle H Did you notice that Dave was also wearing the very same hair do and shirt and jeans as Dougie it was hard to tel them apart Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 1865348797

Look at this little dote from the new orphanage we took on this year Malek

Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm

My Wife and I refer to the couple (Veronica and Mitko) in the photo as our Bulgarian Daughter and Son, We have known them from when we first started looking for a property five years ago. They both speak excellent English and on many occasions Veronica has been our translator
You can see from the photo that they attended the Orphanage party and it was not long before a young child got attached to them, held hands, had cuddles and of course wanted a photograph to remember their day. On the quiet Veronica explained to me that Mitko was feeling emotional and had tears in his eyes and told me that he wanted children
This little story is what Berni and Dougie's venture is all about, sad but true, but the happiness that is brought to the Orphanage by holding the annual party is there for all to see in the photo's, and I was proud to be part of that day and capture some of the action
To conclude let me just remind all members and friends that this would not be the success it is without the dedication and help of this forum.
Well done Ashley and the team. I think I speak for everybody when I say a[size=200:jdm9pg9w] BIG [size=200:jdm9pg9w]T T
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Well done all of you I will go and look at the gallery and try and get the slide show to work Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 3998065313
Back to top Go down
Scunnered
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 am

When you go into the gallery, the slide show is on the right hand side.
Click on this and then on the right arrow on the top of the first picture.
Hope this helps! g
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Well done to Bernie and all her helpers I'm off to look at the picture show now. s
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 am

After a hard day's work this is the view you would get, but with the words added of course
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks Bryan that is a lovely picture. H

Well the updated is finally done and I have sent to Bill to put it on the website there are lots of pictures in it so it might take him a little while to sort it out. He is working very hard to change over everything to a new host as the current one does not have enough space for all the photos and videos etc. Our intentions are to relaunching on 1st Nov.

s Berni
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 am

Forgot to add this earlier

Berni s
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user
therowfamily

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 pm

What a lovely article they have written about you and I've just looked at all those lovely pictures of the day and they say so much, you only have to look at all the people and the children to see it was a fun filled day, well done and I hope that this continues for a long time to come Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 2706089290
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silistra Orphanage   Silistra Orphanage - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next