View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Empty
PostSubject: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Bulgaria Introduces Standard for 'Real' Cheese

The Bulgarian state standard for white cheese has entered into force on Friday, the Bulgarian Institute for Standardization has announced.

The standard was developed by a group of experts. It will repeal the previous three standards for sheep, cow and mixed cheese.

It will apply to Bulgarian white cheese made from cow, sheep, buffalo, goal or mixed milk. There will be an addition of selected strain of microorganisms, isolated in Bulgaria, through curdling with rennet, which has received a required treatment and has undergone a process of maturation and is ready for consumption.

The standard's fundamental principles with regards to the components, quality indicators and characteristics, and technology will reflect the best practices of the cheese production.

Unlike the previous standards, the newly implemented one will include two new assortments, which are available on the Bulgarian market and are well-accepted abroad – buffalo white cheese and goat white cheese.

Like the other state standards for yogurt and meat, the Bulgarian state standard for cheese will also not be mandatory, but rather recommendable.

Every cheese producer will be able to buy the standard from the Bulgarian Institute for Standardization for the price of BGN 39,60.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
nu2bg
Super user
Super user
nu2bg

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes but what is meant by real cheese 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 794030042
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 11:47 am

I think if you travel the world and taste the different cheese then Bulgarian Cheese isn't so bad I think its what we are use to in the UK i.e a Cheese with a bit of bite 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3356871870

sarah
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Most of the cyrenes are good although some are a bit salty. However, I have yet to find a good Kashkaval (yellow cheese). Even the expensive ones seem to have no taste unless you like VERY mild cheese. Its the one thing I don't like about food here and cheese seems very expensive for what it is.
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Isn't cheddar cheese available in Bulgaria as an import ? what would you say was the tastiest cheese they have in Bulgaria ?
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 am

I have occasionally seen a very mild German 'so-called' Cheddar in VT CBA, but its not the real thing! I have tried a few Bulgarian yellow cheeses at various costs but none is remotely like real tasty Cheddar. The real deal must either be an acquired taste, which Bulgarians, (and some Brits), don't like, or else British Cheddar is not licensed to export because it wasn't available in Greece either although the Irish mild Cheddar was. I will probably be corrected on this, but it depends on where you live or maybe there is an English table-top or Carboot around. I don't go to these and my budget doesn't allow either so I have my annual treat on a UK visit unless a relative sends us some or a kind friend brings some out. I certainly don't pine for it. Cyrene suits me fine and there is a very cheap white cheese, which is really creamy and makes a nice cheesecake. Its only about 3.45 a kilo! g
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:52 am

[size=55:hukqiosa]Focus 13 October 2010

Europe Wants Cheese Made from Milk
Centuries-old recipes protected with a certificate guarantee the quality of foods

“Add three drops of rennet and a pinch of salt to seven litres of fresh milk and leave it to mature for 45 days,” – this is how the traditional Bulgarian white brined cheese is made. However, there are similar recipes for yellow cheese, dry-cured ham, Krakow deli bakery and hundreds of other foods. Naturally, only the products made from these recipes are protected with certain trademarks, as these are the so-called “traditional products. Monitoring the process of production of these products is one of the measures that the European Commission has adopted to ensure the high quality of the products made in the EU. The other measures include the good practices of control “from the field to the table”, which pretty much cover all farm products. These good practices are meant to guarantee that the goods made in the EU are safe and of good quality.
Thanks to these rules products from third countries, which do not meet the requirements and might harm consumers’ health are not allowed in EU member states. The European Food Safety Authority is the body responsible for food safety and ensuring high level of consumer protection in the European Union. Each EU member state has to create its own food safety watchdog to apply the community regulations on the local market. In Bulgaria it will be the Bulgarian Agency for Control and Quality of Foods. It is expected the agency to start working at the beginning of 2010 and to deal with all problems connected to food safety of animal or plant products. If the launching of the agency is delayed Bulgaria might receive a sanction of about 60M euro.
Penalty charges are envisioned for companies that fail to set up a food safety control body, because all foodstuffs can move freely across the EU member states. Safety control, however, doesn’t start from a store shelf;
the process is set in motion already at the farm, before raw materials reach food processing facilities. Any food product, be it wheat or veal, must meet sanitary standards, chemicals content norms, etc. Raw materials can be sold to food processors and become food offered on the market only after these requirements are fulfilled. Bulgarian farmers need another year and a half to meet these standards. By the end of 2011 they have to meet all requirements as regards milk purity. Apart from it they have one more challenge – they have to ensure humane attitude towards animals.
The third significant challenge will be the introduction of the regulations from the so-called Nitrate Directives. The introduction of these will require considerable investments which could enter the farms via the Rural Areas Development Programme.
The countries which after the term expires are not ready to meet the European requirements will have to close down the farms or use their production only for personal consumption.
All these measures are not taken as an end of themselves. They aim at securing the highest possible quality of the food produce as well as the fair remuneration for the farmers’ efforts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
ABC Property Surveyors.BG
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am

Really nice looking Stilton in Metro but it's 38 lev/kg,Ouch!!!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for that info Admin. I guess our local goat farmer, still working his 40 goats on a mud patch, will have to abide by this law soon. He seems far from 'humane' in his attitude towards his animals and the goat milk is transferred in the open air from one container to another and transported in an unrefrigerated van! I don't think this many goats are legal in a village but he probably has friends in high places. The Mayor turns a blind eye and the shepherding of the goats to the hills goes by a back road. He uses land belonging to an absent Brit for night time and uses their barn for hay storage. He says he will leave it as he found it when the goats are moved. He said that a year ago. Good job this kind of Bulgarian rule bending doesn't bother me and I am not going to interfere, but I am wondering how the powers that be will deal with people like him. There are probably many. 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3135333095
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I know what your saying oldun but lets face it bending rules is second nature to Bulgarians I've just been reading about Soya in sausage and the manufacturers loosing their status so it seems it happens from the bottom to the top

sarah
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Exactly Sarah - There was an item on the Bulgarian news a while ago and the discussion seemed to be about sausages and all the salamis made by a certain company. Can't remember which now, but the interviewer was getting very angry.
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Would be interesting to know what was being said
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 pm

krypton wrote:
Would be interesting to know what was being said

'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3998065313 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3998065313 Nooooooooo Kryps you don't really want to know that 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3023850720 :Shocked:you will probably never touch any of the meats again 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 2345823347

I watched a programme about 10 years ago on one of the big fast foods companies and they had mouse dropping in the shelves - from that day I just could not enter any of their premises 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria 3998065313

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 11:19 am

Has anyone ever tried making their own cheese? I know that in some the recipes I've see it seems easy but haven't never tried it I just wondered how difficult it actually is s
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria in August   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Use an internet search engine for recipes. Doesn't seem difficult especially the white cheese, but you need to have a ready supply of milk. Not really worth the effort except for a very simple curd cheese. Still if you are a purist and a keen cook with time on your hands then why not? Make some homemade bread while you're at it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria   'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Real Cheese Available in Bulgaria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next