altText

Language Course .... Lesson 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chris

Language Course .... Lesson 1 Empty
PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Seems there's been a bit of interest on the forum from folks wanting to learn a bit more Bulgarian ... good for them! We actually paid a language teacher to come up with a 12 month course for Quest Bulgaria readers in order to build their fluency and confidence in the language. This is the first of the lessons ... let me know if this is the kind of thing you want or need and I'll dig out a couple more.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now we have mastered the alphabet ([url=http:
//www.
mybulgariaportal.
com/language-f36/learning-the-alphabet-and-reading-first-words-t208.
htm:2mb149x1]See forum post here[/url:2mb149x1]) it's time to start a complete 12-lesson course to give you a thorough grounding in the Bulgarian language. This course was developed exclusively for Quest Bulgaria by Catherine Billebeau an international language teacher of English and Russian and a dedicated fan of Bulgaria. So, now over to Catherine ...

You have become familiar with the Cyrillic alphabet by now [url=http:
//www.
mybulgariaportal.
com/language-f36/learning-the-alphabet-and-reading-first-words-t208.
htm:2mb149x1]see forum post here[/url:2mb149x1]. Even though some of the letters still prove difficult to remember or pronounce, you know you are on the right track.

Before we start, I would thoroughly recommend you to purchase a good dictionary. In future lessons I intend throwing in some words which I won't be giving you a translation for ... it's up to you to find them in the Bulgarian dictionary and discover their meaning! I would advise that you print off each lesson in turn and make your own notes on them (and translations of words I haven't given).

[size=150:2mb149x1]The noun:

A Bulgarian word can either be masculine, feminine or neutral. This is called the gender of the word. It obeys to some rules which can be perceived as difficult at the beginning but will become easier with practice. In order not to hinder your progress, do not focus on the grammatical terms, just memorise the way it works.

Learning a foreign language is a slow process and you should always remember to put things into practice every time there is an opportunity for you to do so and this without any fear of making mistakes.

One more thing you will have to take into consideration before we start explaining how the Bulgarian word works is the stress. Keep in mind that the stress is essential to pronounce the word correctly and therefore make yourself understood properly. To make things easier for you, the stressed letter will always be marked in bold: , kola = car

Tip: In Bulgarian, all the letters and syllables are pronounced exactly as you see them.

Once again, stick to the step by step motto to keep language confidence on your side. Try to practice a little bit and often to ensure some progress ... remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Look at the table below to understand how the Bulgarian word works. At the moment we will deal only with the singular as the plural obeys that might generate confusion at this early stage! Try to read and understand all of the words in this table. Also, try to write the words in cyrillic alphabet in your own notebook, making a note of the translations shown in brackets.

[size=150:2mb149x1]Adding the 'The'!

Although we have chosen not to introduce the plural for now because of the difficulties it might generate, you will find comfort in being able to use the definite article (adding the 'the'!) which is characteristic of its presence at the end of the word.

[size=150:2mb149x1]Time to Practice

Time has now come to put things into practice and check how much you can remember from the previous page. Take a look at the words in the table below and determine their gender. The solution will be provided in the next lesson. Watch out, there is an exception to the rule hidden in there!!

If you have correctly found the gender of the words above, then, see how many of these words you can now use with the definite article (adding the 'the'!). Print off the table and try to write the words in the middle column with the appropriate 'the' added. Also, this is a perfect method of starting to read and write using the cyrillic alphabet.

We have tried to make you learn words you will hear and use in every day conversation. Once you are completely confident in reading, writing and speaking the words in this lesson, then proceed to Lesson Two.

Good luck! See you soon!

©️ Quest Bulgaria Magazine, no unauthorised reproduction without express written permission from the Directors
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonicwebworks.com
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Wow this is some serious stuff here, I'll give it ago and see how it goes but looks really hard to me :shock:but then I'm not a spring chicken anymore :oops: :oops:and as you get older it becomes more difficult to absorb information and to retain it but as I said I will give it a good shot thanks Chris :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 2:00 pm

meandmine wrote:

I will give it a good shot thanks Chris :cheers:

Good on you! There are two ways of learning a language:

1. Learn a few dozen words and 'get by'

2. Learn to speak (grammar, future, past, conjugation, etc.).

Only one of the above will allow you to integrate and really speak to the Bulgarians in their own language.

Try the alphabet lesson first, then try this one. Don't worry, this is supposed to be 'Month 1' not to be learnt in a day! Once everyone is happy and up to scratch, I'm happy to do a lesson for next month.

Trust me, it's worth taking just one hour per day to practice, within no time you'll be speaking [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any problems, give me a shout and we won't move on until somebody asks me for more!

Cheers
Chris
Back to top Go down
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Em this looks like its going to be very interesting to some of us I will watching this and maybe even have ago :lol: :lol:
Back to top Go down
Lorka
Anonymous

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 am

Excellent post and great advice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I took option 2.

I look forward to your furure postings and using the lessons as refreshers.

Lorka
Back to top Go down
krypton
Super user
Super user
krypton

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:18 pm

I have just returned from Bulgaria so I could have done with some lessons before I went ? I was looking round the Yambol region for a property but didn't come across anything that said buy me :roll:but it gave me the chance to see the country for the first time, I was there for about 4 weeks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I will be going back again to look at more properties and to spend more time there too, as I don't think I really know to much about the place and it strange traditions :shock:but it was all good and I must recommend the Murcry hotel to they were fantastic and what a great load of staff they have :lol:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Chris I have been trying with this but I am already finding it difficult but I will continue

ATB
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user
BGTRAVELLER

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Well I am back just to say I am going to give this ago [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] thanks Chris will get back to you I'm sure [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sandy

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:52 am

What an excellent begining to learning this confusing language. I look forward to more. Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Sandy

Welcome on Board! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Please feel free to introduce yourself to the other members in this section:

[url=/new-member-introductions-f5/][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the comments on the language lesson ... let me know when you're ready for lesson two and I'll put it here!

Chris
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm still trying Chris but it's a little difficult for me to remember but I will persevere [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 pm

meandmine wrote:
I'm still trying Chris but it's a little difficult for me to remember but I will persevere

Stick at it!

One of the things that Jain and I did when we were learning was to set aside one hour a couple of times a week just to practice.

We ripped up a load of bits of paper (about 2"
square) and wrote the words in Bulgarian on one side (in cyrillic) and the same words in English on the other side.

Put them either side up and see how many you know and get rid of them. Then concentrate on the ones that are left, flipping them over until you've got them all.

Doesn't take long and quickly builds your vocabulary. Once you can do the whole lot from English to Bulgarian and then the other way round, then tear up more paper and make another lot!

Cheers
Chris
Back to top Go down
crystals

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:51 pm

hi chris

thank you for posting this, i'm determined to give it a try and take your hints about the papers and setting time aside, especially now winter is on its way.

i think i have copys of quest still packed from our move over so will have to dig them out to do with on here !

look forward to next months lesson
Back to top Go down
johnsjan

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:15 pm

hi,i´m new to this forum and just happened to stumble across this post.thank you so much,i´ve been struggling with the language for over 2 years but you have explained lesson 1 in an easier way than i have been trying to learn before.but still not fully up to scratch with the M/F/N differences,but the rest of it spot on.

i cant wait for lesson 2

thanks again jan
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 6:36 am

Hi Jan

Welcome to the forum! Please take a minute or two to tell us a bit about yourself in the Members Introductions section:

[url=http:
//www.
mybulgariaportal.
com/new-member-introductions-f5/:2inlnlog]Click Here[/url:2inlnlog]

The Male/Female/Neutral thing isn't too bad after a bit of time ... just use a general 'rule of thumb' as follows:

If a word ends in 'a' such as Kola (car), Voda (water), chanta (handbag) then these are feminine.

If a word ends in 'o' or 'e' such as Kafe (coffee), Bebe (baby), Vreme (weather) then these are neutral.

If a word ends in a consonant such as Grad (town), Den (day), Passport then these are Masculin.

There are a few exceptions, but don't worry about that, everybody is so delighted that you are trying to speak, they don't mind at all a few mistakes.

Once you've then figured out from the ending of the word whether this is feminine, masculine or neutral, then you know which 'the' to use as follows:

For female words, add 'ta' to the end:
Kolata (the car), Vodata (the water), chantata (the handbag)

For neutral words, add 'to' to the end:
Kafeto (the coffee), Bebeto (the baby), Vremeto (the weather)

For masculine words add 'ut' to the end:
Gradut (the town), Denut (the day), Passportut (the passport)

Just set aside regular practice time, speaking out loud at every chance and you'll get there.

I'll post up lesson two when I get a minute!

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Language Course .... Lesson 1   Language Course .... Lesson 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Language Course .... Lesson 1

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next