altText

Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
oddball
oddball

Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1763269238

Hi Guys Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 2581928987

Feb has been a very slow month, not much happened really, see below.

Storage
We have all our goods ready and waiting to be stored unfortunately the TA cannot help us with storage this year, which is a shame as they have been brilliant. I have rang everyone from council to military services to self storage companies but we cannot get help. So, if you know of anyone who can help with donated storage until Sept , please do get in touch. We really appreciate it very much indeed.

Book sale
We have had confirmation that my place of work will allow us to hold a book sale to raise the funds towards the transport and the various renovations needed at the Orphanage. We have agreed the book sale will be held on 1st April. It is only open to staff so we will see how it goes. We have been donated lots of books and CD from Freegle and friends, which hopefully will sell, but if not ,we will take them to Bulgaria and ask for donations from the expats at our Garden Party. So fingers crossed all goes well.

Easter Chicks
Margaret our very good friend and avid supporter, again comes from Freegle has been knitting little chicks and putting a little cream egg inside. She raise a total of £35.50 when she took them to friends - This is a fantastic amount, well done Margaret!! You are a star! Myself and my friend Maureen have been knitting them too and we will bring them to the book sale on 1st April hopefully people will make donations - Oh they are so cute.

The wool project
We have a large box of wool now, but for the project we really need lots more. We have written to all the wool companies but so far only one company has replied and that is Simplywool.com in Scotland. The have been fantastic and send us a bag of wool and Christine also said she would start collecting and send what she can before the load is transported to Bulgaria. Thank you Christine, you have been wonderful! We will keep trying various other companies and of course we have the Freegle members, who have already given us some wool and needles. So if you can help please do get in touch.

People can also knit square for us and the ladies in the home can sew them together and make blankets - We also need lots and lots of good quality clean single blankets, which I will put an appeal our for in due course. We have such a long way to go yet with the wool. Again if you can help or know of anyone who can please do contact us. Special thanks to Elly who is always there to help out and support us. You are a little treasure! thanks.

Donations
A company called Great Gizmos in Crawley kindly send us a box of items for our shoeboxes, this is just fantastic - various items like moulding/bead kits, small board games, novelty handbag notebooks little cup cakes trinket cups and such. They are just lovely and the children will adore them - So thanks a million to Emma and Great Gizmos for helping us out Your donation will make so many children happy.

Also Hush Puppies donated 3 boxes of shoes to us they are mostly for the younger children and another box for the teenage girls although there was also some for the boys too. They are just fantastic so thanks to Sarah and the MD at Leicester for you wonderful donations. And of course a very special thanks to Bruce Dunn our very good friend from Scotland who offered to pick the shoes up on his way down to P'Boro from Scotland - Bruce you are wonderful and truly our guardian angel. Thanks a million time over.

Take a Break Magazine
Well I am sure you have all seen the story in Take a Break magazine - If not it is on the website under the photo gallery. It appears to be based around us, so you have an insight as to how things started and of course our plans for this year. The fee they will give for the article will go directly to the Orphanage fund for the transport and we will have various other fund raising events throughout the coming months and hopefully we will try to raise the transport costs. Although not sure there will be much, if anything left over for the renovations needed - but we will see how it goes. God is good.

The Garden Party
We have finally been given a date for the Garden Party at the Orphanage which is on Saturday Sept 25th from 1pm we do hope we get a lot more British &
Scottish there this year. We had fantastic support from 18 couples last year. Also a friend William and his wife Jo from Shuman came and brought their local mayor and friends too. They were very impressed at what we were doing. A few weeks later William send me an email to say that, his visit had a spin off effect with the Mayor as he came to William house saying he had some good for the children in the Shuman Orphanage. He asked William &
Jo to visit the Orphanage with him. This again, was fantastic new - The children were delighted with the gifts, even though they were feeling poorly at the time. William and Jo said it was fantastic to be able to help a very worthy cause. Well done guys! You did great. Dougie and I hope to have a few boxes we can donate to them this year too.

So you see, the word is spreading and people are beginning to help various other organizations, which is exactly what we set out to achieve. We will also check if we can organize with the various companies and Rotary club etc in Silsitra, if they can contact the local companies to see if they would fill a box of goods and send to the poor in the villagers and various other organizations. I hope to be visiting the local schools to speak with the directors about the children helping too..

Well that is if for now - We will just keep trying to find storage and hope someone will help us. I will keep you updated. Thanks again to all you lovely people who have helped and continue to help us, You are just fantastic and we could not do this without you.

Berni &
Dougie
Dimcho Debelianov Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3386807041
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user
itchyfeet

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm

How wonderful, the looks on the childrens faces must be something you will never forget.
You and All your helpers and Donators have given so much happiness to young and old, this must be so rewarding for all involved.
Well done, it's people like you that make the world a happier place to live in, and give hope to those that feel forgotten.
Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3356871870 :Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1931734156:
Back to top Go down
Blink
Super user
Super user
Blink

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

itchyfeet wrote:
How wonderful, the looks on the childrens faces must be something you will never forget.
You and All your helpers and Donators have given so much happiness to young and old, this must be so rewarding for all involved.
Well done, it's people like you that make the world a happier place to live in, and give hope to those that feel forgotten.
Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3356871870 :Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1931734156:

Very well put itchyfeet these people are absolute stars but never ever get any real recognition for all the hard work they put in I know from earlier posts that Douglas hasn't been too well at times but he still battled on with no thought for himself I do believe these two should be knighted by the queen and certainly get some sort of recognition from the Bulgarian government but as always what they both do is taken for granted by the state Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 794030042 but I would think the best reward they could ever hope for and get is the difference they are making to the lives of so many Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 570106603 Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 570106603 Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 570106603
Back to top Go down
meandmine
Super user
Super user
meandmine

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 1:11 pm

It's always good to come on here and read this sort of thing and yet again you both have exceeded any expectations that any of us could have had so once again I find myself saying well done and may you next venture also go this well Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3356871870 H g H Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 570106603 Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 570106603
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Thank you for this update Berni its a good one too with so much positivity and I can imagine after all this you are completely shattered :shocked1:I know I would be but again I must say you and all your helpers do such a marvellous job with all this and I would think the children see you as their fairy godmother :Angel2:brilliant past as always and what can I say except the feeble words of well done to all of you Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3023850720
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 am

T T T

Thanks Guys you are too kind. We do what we can and we just love it H H

I am real disappointed and getting very disheartened that only one company has come back and offered to do the 'Christmas Boxes'. See posting 'Christmas Boxes' basically it is to put one box in an establishment and everyone brings one or two items in it and when it is full it can be taken to any orphanage etc of their choice - it not a lot to ask, but it seems I just can't get anyone interested. :shocked1:I emailed 198 companies at the beginning of the week in Bulgaria only BSBB has replied so far Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3135333095 Will keep trying and hoping Angel

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 am

First of all Berni great news about how it all went, as for your box's I do believe that the Bulgarians need educating because often they see these poor children as nothing more than they see the Gypsies its a real shame but thats my thoughts on the matter and its not always their fault its the way they have been taught sadly, but with people like you and your team I do believe that if you keep banging away then something has to give Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1430720830 s
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:24 pm

oddball wrote:
T T T

Thanks Guys you are too kind. We do what we can and we just love it H H

I am real disappointed and getting very disheartened that only one company has come back and offered to do the 'Christmas Boxes'. See posting 'Christmas Boxes' basically it is to put one box in an establishment and everyone brings one or two items in it and when it is full it can be taken to any orphanage etc of their choice - it not a lot to ask, but it seems I just can't get anyone interested. :shocked1:I emailed 198 companies at the beginning of the week in Bulgaria only BSBB has replied so far Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3135333095 Will keep trying and hoping Angel

Oddy s

i know what you are saying Daisy and I also know it is hard for everyone and perhaps I am asking too much, it just seems such a simple way to help and most of all make a difference to the children and others who really do need a little help. Thank you for your vote of confidence. I will indeed keep pushing. If we get into the schools then the message will be brought home and the next generation will learn the concept of giving. Angel

Oddy g
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:51 pm

:Howdy:Berni

I get the feeling that you are a little disappointed over the lack of responses you have received. This is me thinking out loud and in no way a personal opinion, but some questions people who don't know you and what you do might ask, for instance, somebody said to me Quote:- why doesn't Bulgaria have a Children in Need programme like the UK

Perhaps you could give a little insight into the Orphanage for those that haven't had the privilage of visiting it. I know it is on your website but that is only seen by posters who click on here. Why not put it on the Sofia Echo forum, Novinite forum etc etc

A few questions that might be of interest to help people appreciate what you are doing and why

1 How old are the children
2 Why are they there, and where do most of them come from
3 Are they all from the Roma community
4 What drives you to support children in Bulgaria and not in any other eastern block Country
5 Do you think the Bulgarian Government should be doing more to help these poor kids, they never asked to be put on this earth, it's not their fault Angel
6 Do these kids know life outside of the Orphanage and have you got any success stories of any who leave the Orphanage and go in the big wide world g

Berni, this posting is to try and make awareness of what you are doing and trying to muster up more support, nothing personal, you know my feelings anyway
If there is anything I/We can do on our visit next week please let me know, Just a thought a collecting box in expats and Bulgarian run businesses ie:- cafe's bar's, table top and car boot sales etc, and have a competition with a prize for the business who collects the most over a given time Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1536469901

Finally, do you think it would be a good idea to make two headings, 1 Silistra Orphanage Information and 2 Monthly Update Re The Silistra Orphanage I feel to have a seperate heading for important information will help your cause because it will not get lost in you monthly reviews (Ashley's comments here)

All the very best to you both and carry on being :Angel1:and do what you do best :Thanks1:and Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1430720830
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Willow

Excellent T for your feedback greatly appreciated :Great:your comments - I guess great minds think alike we are in the middle of revamping Silistra postings, so watch this space.

I am sorry I caused you concern re me sounding a little disappointed, I was just expecting the compaie's I email who already know of our cause to at lease acknowledge. I even went to the schools in Silistra and spoke with the teachers and children and they were all eager to get started I am still awaiting a reply as to when they will start - perhaps I am just being a little impatient. I will give myself a good talking to H H

Oddy s
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user
willowsend

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 7:53 pm

oddball wrote:

Hi Willow

Excellent T for your feedback greatly appreciated :Great:your comments - I guess great minds think alike we are in the middle of revamping Silistra postings, so watch this space.

I am sorry I caused you concern re me sounding a little disappointed, I was just expecting the compaie's I email who already know of our cause to at lease acknowledge. I even went to the schools in Silistra and spoke with the teachers and children and they were all eager to get started I am still awaiting a reply as to when they will start - perhaps I am just being a little impatient. I will give myself a good talking to H H

Oddy s

I will watch this space with great anticipation c You didn't answer my idea of collecting box's in businesses and I just thought of another.
How about a sealed glass container at the Airports for people to put their unwanted/loose money in (leva, Euro etc) :Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 1931734156: Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3367882216
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 pm

October 2010 Update re the Bulgarian Orphanage Silistra

Hi Guys

We have now made our delivery for this year 2010 to the Dimcho and 2 other orphanages, the Home for the Elderly and unexpectedly the Disability Day Centre. Also to the local doctors surgery where we brought two walking frames, a wheelchair and some medical provisions along with some latex gloves, which believe me were all greatly appreciated – Doctor Theodor could not thanks us enough for the walking frames in particular, they will be a great help to the elderly. We will see if we can obtain some more for them next year 2011.Below is one of our new establishments we have taken on for 2011

This is the Disability Day centre and some of the children see pictures below

There are 48 children from age 3 to 18 who are residents in this Centre plus they also have daily visitors. I am awaiting the information to be translated to English which will be done in due course. When we visited the centre, we were welcomed by the director Yavanka, she showed us around and although items we old they appeared to functioned well. On first impressions, the place looks nice clean and bright, everything has its place neat and tidy. Some of the children were sitting around empty tables. There was nothing to keep them occupied, no games or any form of recreation or activities were to be found. I wonder what they do all day. We asked what it was that they needed most and Yavanka said furniture, tables and chairs, towels, sheets, clothing, shoes, toiletries etc. We are awaiting a list of items.

Good news from our visit:

Firstly the funds raised at the Garden Party will now go towards building a large wooden building for recreations etc at the Dimcho. Building was due to start in mid Oct but the weather has change now and is very cold in Bulgaria so that will be put on hold until the spring.

A group of 12 teenagers and 2 teachers from a college in London have visited Silistra and have carried out some work such as painting of the fences and various planting of fruit trees and gardening. This I understand is something organised by a Bulgarian tutor who works in the college in London. This is something they undertake in Bulgaria every year. Wonderful thanks a million.

We now have 2 American Peace Core teachers Caran &
Mike Ross who volunteered to go to the Dimcho every Saturday to teach the children English.
This is indeed a fantastic offer and we and the director are overwhelmed at their generosity. Thanks a million times over to Caran &
Mike you are doing a fantastic job.

We have good contacts now in Bulgaria with Trust Radio Europe and Anglo-Info and Quest magazine that are more than happy to help us where they can. I have asked them all to help us with our new project, which is to get the Bulgarians helping each other. Details are further on in the updated.

We also had Bryan &
Sheila Talbot from Banbury who organised a ‘Bulgarian Theme Night’ at the Horse &
Groom in Milcombe on 8th October. The Landlord Richard &
Rachel Argile were more than happy to stage the event and they all agreed that a donation would be made to the Silistra Orphanage. They raised a massive £100 which is a really good start to our transport costs for 2011. Thank you all so much and especially Bryan you are a little gem!

We need to catch up with David Kennedy Financial Management in Spain as he was the winner of the weekend at Pelican’s Guest House we will keep you up to date hopefully we can arranged for David to visit the Dimcho when he visits Bulgaria, or you never know we might be there at the same time ourselves.

Cindy from Angelo-Info contacted me and said that Barbara Heaven had donated back the 50lev of food vouchers for British Lion Foods in Dobrich to us for the Orphanage. This is fantastic news and we are delighted. Thank you Barbara and Cindy for thinking of us, this will make a big difference to the Orphanage we have in mind for this food. I will update you all next month. I will be contacting George at British Lion Foods to select goods for the children but knowing George, I am sure he will give a lot more than the vouchers value. Thanks again to everyone for your support, we really do appreciate it very much indeed.

Elly our volunteer has organised a winter project knitting hats, scarves, gloves for the children. People have been donating wool which she is making good use of. She is a star!!. Elly has recruited a few more lovely ladies Denise and Vicky to help us they are doing a fantastic job so far, see some pictures below. We also have Tina and Dorothy and friend who knitted those lovely blankets we took over in Sept. They have continued the knitting and have several more for us already. Thanks a million guys the children just loved them. Also the cardigans below have come all the way from Australia Sheila my friend knitted them and posted them in July and we rec’d them end of Oct. I have now sent them and some more goods with a friend to the Priateli orphanage in another part of Bulgaria.

[size=150:3pyodqoy]Our New Project to start in Nov 2010 in Bulgaria.

‘Berni &
Dougie’s Chrismas Boxes

"
Коледно кутии, Берни и Дъги"

This is a splendidly simple idea that everyone can help with and we can start immediately. We are asking businesses, schools, colleges, hospitals and homes, in fact everyone all over Bulgaria, if they can have a box in their establishments and houses for all their staff members, clients, students, families and friends to donate one or two new items towards. The donors can nominate an establishment in their area that they want to collect the items for, their local orphanage, a home for the elderly, a disability centre or some other worthy cause.

Things like toiletries, gloves, hats, scarves, socks, slippers, toys, books, CD’s, DVD’s, hair accessories, make up, games etc.

Maybe you could collect non-perishable food items to fill the boxes? Think how well a nice tasty treat will go down at this time of year.

Once the boxes are full they can be delivered to the selected establishments in time for Christmas. It would be rewarding for everyone involved and just think of how happy you could make those who usually go without.

It can be difficult to get people to make a positive move and commit to a cause, something else always gets in the way and good intentions sometimes come to nothing, but with this simple and super idea everyone can gain, the people who donate can be very proud they have helped those who are less fortunate then themselves and obviously all the establishments receiving gift boxes will benefit too. Hopefully you can help them have a wonderful happy Christmas for a change.

Whoever participates in this project will be mentioned via our media supporters, Trust Radio, Anglo-Info and Quest magazine therefore, we will need to have your name and company or establishment’s information, more details will follow when we start advertising in Bulgaria soon.Contact: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].uk

Thanks you for help us to help those who needs a little extra care this Christmas.

The Dimcho is looking so much better from when we first started and although we have not donated cash before, only goods such as clothing, shoes, toiletries, blankets toys, books shoeboxes etc, what they saved in their small budge allowance for these items, they put towards the renovations and with the help from the EU which, I understand funding was given to all the Bulgarian establishments, they managed to complete the new windows and internal doors, new laminated floors and two shower rooms as well as painting the bedrooms. This is indeed a great achievement and the Director Stilian is very proud of the work to date. The building still needs a lot of work doing including a new heating and insulating system. I am sure this will happen in due course, but for now small steps at a time. The best thing of all is peace of mind and knowing that the orphanage is improving and the children will have a nice cosy home for this winter.

Finally: Special thanks to Bill and Sue who are our volunteers in Bulgaria. Bill has been fantastic he has spent many hours re vamping our website and what a fantastic job he has done. He even surprised me by putting on a language tool, which is brilliant, thanks a million Bill you are a star! Thanks also to Sue who runs a book club in Spasovo. You are both fantastic! Thanks a million. Once again on behalf of Dougie and myself Berni and everyone else a huge big ‘thank you’ for all your various donation and ongoing support and goods wishes, we really do appreciate it very much and of course we cannot do this without your help.

Berni &
Dougie
Silistra Orphanage
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 6:04 pm

:Xmas3: :Xmas4:

Not sure this will work but will give it a try click the link below for the monthly update

[size=150:15h6vcv0]Merry Chrstmas Everyone

Berni &
Dougie xxx

Oddy :Xmas2: :Xmas2: :Xmas1:

Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user
Daisy

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Link isn't working for me Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 927475117 s
Back to top Go down
scott
Super user
Super user
scott

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Link not working for me either Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 3023850720
Back to top Go down
oddball
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 pm

:Xmas1:

g g

Sorry!!!!!!! Think I have done it now click the yearendupdate.pdf or original posting Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 2345823347
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage   Monthly Update re:  the Silistra Orphanage - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monthly Update re: the Silistra Orphanage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next